View Full Version : Dying/Painting Door panels and Dash...

seth98esT
06-04-2003, 03:17 AM
Ok I am wanting to paint my door panels and the underside of my dash. for the dash i need to use a dye correct? waht about the doors? they are more plasticy. I need some advice because i do not want to screw it up. TIA

seth98esT
06-04-2003, 08:29 PM
anybody?

QnzMostWanted
06-04-2003, 08:31 PM
underdash is plastic, u can use regular paint if u want it dull, if u want it glossy put clear coat over it, u dont really have to clear coat it cuz it wont be scraped or touched often, so u'll be ok,

sleepagalant
06-05-2003, 03:15 PM
should it be primed first?
would any spray paint work?
thanks

QnzMostWanted
06-05-2003, 04:58 PM
I used Duplicolor, i didnt sand no prime, but i did clean it with water and soap to get off the armorall

cruising60
11-09-2003, 01:20 PM
I know this is probably too late for you but maybe it will help anyone thinking about changing the color of their interior. My 97G had the crappy gray interior with the Emerald Green exterior. I found some vinyl and fabric paint in the auto section of Walmart and tried it. (Can't remember the brand name, think it was either PlastiKote or DupliColor.) What I liked about it was that it said it could cover both the vinyl (Dashboard and Door trim) and fabric (Carpets, seats, headliner and inserts on door) I did one section at a time over about 4 days (it has a terrible smell so you should probably wear some type of protection for breathing). It's been a little over a month and everything still looks great. The only problem is that it did not cover the seats that well. They look a little darker but more of a dark gray than black. While I was at it I painted the console area with the dull aluminum paint and it gives it a nice constrast to the black interior. I also just finishied installing a stainless steel bezel overlay for the gauge cluster. I would suggest using the vinyl and fabric paints for any interior work. I had used regular paint on one of my cars in my younger days and within a mont it started flaking on me. Sorry I got around to letting you know so late but I just found this forum and am still getting acquainted with it. Hope to get pictures of the G on line soon.

pinoyesv6
11-09-2003, 04:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sleepagalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>should it be primed first?
would any spray paint work?
thanks</div>

i would use primer, especially if the pieces you are painting are of different colors. that way you'll at least have a more uniform color.

cruising60
11-09-2003, 08:46 PM
priming is not necessary if you are going from a light color to a dark color. if trying to go to a lighter color though you might want to prime. this paint was made for vinyl and fabric so it will hold well.

jluv97
11-10-2003, 08:16 AM
I've found that if you use a std paint on the plastics (like an enamel) it will work without prep. If you want to use a vinyl paint you will need to sand the pieces. All of the parts in mine have been sanded until smooth, then base coated with Krylon Fusion and painted with a vinyl paint and clear coat.

steveo1
11-10-2003, 06:03 PM
I bought some paint made especially for the vinyl on the dash and doors. Black to be exact. It was very simple. Just clean and spray evenly. Then I dyed the carpet on the doors. Just a little stiffer than I thought they would be. Check out my www down below

brandon
11-11-2003, 10:45 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stl 95galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>I bought some paint made especially for the vinyl on the dash and doors. Black to be exact. It was very simple. Just clean and spray evenly. Then I dyed the carpet on the doors. Just a little stiffer than I thought they would be. Check out my www down below</div>

I like the green, it came out good.

How'd you paint the panels and such though? Did you remove the dash or just cover up the windshield/etc.?

cruising60
11-11-2003, 11:43 AM
I removed the front and rear seats and the console and console trim. I did not want to fool with the door panels or dash so I left them on the car and painted around them using masking tape and newspaper. Thats why it took so long. I did one section each day. I used to try to rush things and would wind up screwing up the job. Now that I'm retired I can take my time and do it right. I also pulled out the instrument cluster and installed a stainless steel overlay. That was easy to do except for splitting the clear plastic cover from the bezel trim. Wes had told me over the forum how to pull it apart. I never would have been able to do it without his help. Will send a picture of completed job after I figure out how to.

steveo1
11-11-2003, 05:01 PM
brandon, I just taped EVERYTHING. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I still am finding out how long it will last

cruising60
11-11-2003, 05:10 PM
can anyone tell me how I can include a pic in these replies so I can show you how mine came out?