PDA

View Full Version : turning off engine check light

nrgizeman
06-04-2003, 01:22 PM
hey guys. i remember reading something about how to turning off the engine check light. i cannot seem to find that post. can someone, if remember, tell me how to do so. also did you guys get that light after hitting 60k? thanks for your help.

b-boy_sky
06-04-2003, 02:08 PM
well one way is to disconnect the battery for about 10 mins.....but I would suggest you find out what made it come on in the first place before you disregard it....

D03GTZ
06-04-2003, 08:02 PM
very good point. or you could just pull the check engine light bulb and never see it again..... hehehhe https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

b-boy_sky
06-05-2003, 06:36 PM
or you could just pull the check engine light bulb and never see it again

It's funny you mention that because my check engine last has been on for the longest time ever since my header and HFC upgrade and getting tired of looking at it I finally took out the bulb.....until I can find out how to get it off and stay off......

cruznnus
06-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Here it is I copied it awhile back. I don't remeber who posted it. So, I can't take credit for it. Good Luck.
This little trick will reset the SES light without having to disconnect the battery. It works for Fuel/Air/O2 type codes, because I just used it. Of course if the problem is reoccurring, the light will keep coming back until you fix it.

Follow the directions exactly:

1. With the key set to OFF, press DOWN on the cruise control lever and hold it down.

2. While continuing to hold the lever turn the key to ON

3. Press UP on the cruise control lever and hold it up. This MUST be done within ONE SECOND of turning the key to ON

4. Continue to hold the cruise control lever UP. Within a few seconds, the cruise light will begin to flash.

5. While still holding the lever UP, depress and hold the Brake Pedal for at least five seconds.

6. Release the brake pedal.

7. Release the cruise control lever.

8. Turn the key to OFF.

NRG
06-06-2003, 12:27 PM
For those of you who installed headers and the SES light came on after awhile, you can get it fix via the mil eliminator. I have personally done this with my car and the light has never came back.

I have already posted the instructions on HOW-TO install this mil eliminator hidden somewhere in the archive. Just search for it, I am sure you will find it sooner or later.

I don't recommend taking out the bulb because if other problems occur, you would have noway of telling.

VegasMatt
06-06-2003, 01:36 PM
I have a code reader and eraser, when I get a light, I see what caused it and erase it.

NRG
06-09-2003, 01:51 AM
I have a code reader and eraser, when I get a light, I see what caused it and erase it.

But doesn't that eventually still comes back?

D03GTZ
06-09-2003, 08:12 PM
or you could be like me and buy a snap-on scanner with a generic obd2 cartridge and actually find what caused the mil light to come on. or buy obd2 software for you computer(laptop preferred) and do the same.