PDA

View Full Version : painting the valve cover

asalem97
08-28-2002, 07:40 PM
Ok I read a post on here that said the valve cover can easily be removed and painted. First, how do I remove it? I can see that you have to remove the bolts around it but how do you remove all the wires? Also I bought red dupli color high heat w/ ceramic at 1200 degrees. Will this paint be good enough because I dont want it to start peeling and make it worse than before. If anyone here has painted it themselves could you post pictures. THANKS

QnzMostWanted
08-28-2002, 07:43 PM
just pull the wires out

2True
08-28-2002, 07:56 PM
AS soon as you take off the cover, be sure to cover your exposed crankcase with plastic or something so no dirt and dust gets in there. That paint should work perfectly, not really sure if any 7G guys have done this even. Saw it on an 8g and it looked bad ass! Good luck dude, Post pics.. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

pinoyesv6
08-28-2002, 08:07 PM
don't forget to get a new gasket for the valve cover. chances are that it will be in too bad of a shape to reuse. also don't forget to torque up the bolts on the valve cover back to factory specs. disaster can occur if its too loose or tight

jluv97
08-29-2002, 09:02 AM
Depending upon the condition under the hood you might have to grind off the remnance of the old gasket too. I used a dremmel and it worked perfectly

Dark Anghell
08-29-2002, 11:07 AM
I don't see the reason why you use high heat paint. i used normal paint that you find in the bodyshop or automotive store. Make sure to remove the rest of the old paint by using a paint remover. After that...primer the valve cover. Sand it down so that it's smooth. Use the paint of your choice, and put 2-3 coats on the cover. My valve cover has been on the car for about 6 months or so, and the paint is still shiny and there, nothing is coming off. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

I have a 94 and my gasket was in perfect condition, so I reused it.

Jesse
08-29-2002, 12:47 PM
I just unbolted the 6 bolts that keeps it on the head, then the 2 bolts for the straps for the cable that runs by it, then used a very flat screw driver to pry up the edge all around it, then it popped loose. My gasket was still good. Then I sanded it down a little to get grease and anything that was on top.
I used blue anodized paint on mine and it looks badass, 5 coats of it.
heat resistant metalcast paint.

pinoyesv6
08-29-2002, 12:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just unbolted the 6 bolts that keeps it on the head, then the 2 bolts for the straps for the cable that runs by it, then used a very flat screw driver to pry up the edge all around it, then it popped loose. Â*My gasket was still good. Â*Then I sanded it down a little to get grease and anything that was on top. Â*
I used blue anodized paint on mine and it looks badass, 5 coats of it.
heat resistant metalcast paint.</div>

so how does the metal cast hold up. i mean how long have u had it on?

Jesse
08-29-2002, 01:19 PM
1 week. No problems yet, looks beautiful. Not the normal glossy thick paint look, it really stands out.

Props to Josh for the can

jluv97
08-30-2002, 08:08 AM
Jesse I wanna see a pic of it, and the seats too once you install them.

MitsuMan
08-30-2002, 08:25 AM
no pic for u.;..... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Dark Anghell
08-30-2002, 11:27 AM
Jesse I wanna see a pic of it, and the seats too once you install them.

What kind of seats?

MitsuMan
08-30-2002, 11:37 AM
Josh painted Jesse's leather seat covers for him.......

Jesse
08-30-2002, 01:51 PM
the pics of the seats won't be soon at all. The shipping of them wasn't very successful and the seats stuck together some so there is some silver on the blue and blue on the silver so I'm touching them up as I get time.

Some of the edges doesn't want to dry, it's still tacky. A friend of mine said they will never 100% dry, so if that's the case, then I'm trying to think of a way to get around it. Any suggestions?

jluv97
08-30-2002, 02:31 PM
...A friend of mine said they will never 100% dry...

Mine did, even on the hard plastic and the carpet.
I got so pissed when I heard you were still having troubles that I even tried spraying some of the same brand paint in my color on some of my leather...it dried fine!
PM me for more details Jesse

2k1gtz
08-30-2002, 02:48 PM
Why don't you take off the valve cover get your self some 3m wet sand paper start with a Dremel and a sanding tool . Dremel out all the bumps then start with a 200 grint and wotk your way up to 2000 grit and then get your self a buffing wheel and some polishing compound and boom you have your self a Polished nice and blingin valve cover