PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know about the Diamond???

firemen42
06-06-2003, 12:41 AM
does anyone know if or where can i find a clear diamond for the trunk that lights up???

Tiptronic
06-06-2003, 12:51 AM
not really, but when and if you do, hell i'd like one myself

KNJGalant2002
06-06-2003, 06:17 AM
HI,
If you mean the one that lights up at night like the honda symbol then try ebay. I have seen them on there.

TITAN
06-06-2003, 04:47 PM
I could not find it on ebay today. I dont really like that one tho. Its an oval with the mitsu sign in the middle. and i think that is the only one on the market right now. I think one that was just the mitsu diamonds would be cool. Wonder if one of the creative minds in here will come up with a way to do it......

Jet Black
06-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Heres a thought:

You could remove the Mitsubishi symbol from the front (probably a lot easier to re-attach) using a heat gun, or a hair dryer. Then lay it on top of some felt (go to any arts and crafts store, or a fabric store), and cut it out.

Then you MIGHT be able to lay it over the brake light. Also if felt is to thick, then maybe try a really heavy stock of paper. Somewhere around 44 lbs.

Just a thought!

Also remeber to reattach the Diamonds to the front. I dont know if you can use the original ahdesive. Try something like rubber cement if it doesn't stick.

TITAN
06-11-2003, 11:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet BLaK)</div><div class='quotemain'>Heres a thought:

You could remove the Mitsubishi symbol from the front (probably a lot easier to re-attach) using a heat gun, or a hair dryer. Â*Then lay it on top of some felt (go to any arts and crafts store, or a fabric store), and cut it out. Â*

Then you MIGHT be able to lay it over the brake light. Â*Also if felt is to thick, then maybe try a really heavy stock of paper. Â*Somewhere around 44 lbs.

Just a thought!

Also remeber to reattach the Diamonds to the front. Â*I dont know if you can use the original ahdesive. Â*Try something like rubber cement if it doesn't stick.</div>

my brother did this to his <span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>honduh</span> but he made a template out of something of the H and spray painted it on the taillights. actually, I think your idea is better, its temporary. so if you dont like it, you just rip it off.

chronic69
06-19-2003, 10:49 AM
I've thought of the same thing. The one on the trunk is a bolt on. I guess I'll just have to take it off and look at it. Depends on how the back of it is whether it will work or not, but I hope I can mount 3 led's in it and wire it to the parking light inside the trunk to have the mitsu logo light up at night. if I find out anything, I'll post it.

akiraflux
06-19-2003, 11:03 AM
i was actually thinking about this the other day.

my original idea was to get some plexiglass or plastic or something (really thin) and actually put it underneath the existing silver diamond. then somehow mount an LED or something in the middle of the plastic so it glows from underneath. i haven't really looked at how the thing stays on so i didn't go much further with the idea.

chronic69
06-19-2003, 01:15 PM
Well, as long as we're talking about the emblem on the trunk, there's 2 bolts, one behind each of the diamonds on the bottom of the emblem. If you want to light plexi like that, you'd need a third hole, which I'm thinking we'll need anyway for no matter what mod we do to it for lighting. If you get the plexi cut 1/4 " larger than the logo, it would light around it and you could use a red led with a 3.3k resister right off the parking light and it would work fine.

My goal, as soon as I have time, is to unbolt the emblem and take a look at it. If it is solid, it'll be a B to make it work, but a dremel tool should suffice to get it thin enough behind the actual red diamonds so it would shine through. The plexi around it like that would be easy.

I'll probably unbolt it this weekend, I'll post about it then.

Faction
06-19-2003, 04:39 PM
you could check ebay, i've seen them there

akiraflux
06-19-2003, 04:56 PM
you could check ebay, i've seen them there

i think they are ugly. big circle that is all red with the mitsu logo in the middle. kinda defeats the purpose of even having the diamond...or something. i dunno. i think they look cheap

rodt0331
06-19-2003, 05:20 PM
i've heard that htey suck that the light doesnt last very long and ooh yeah they are fugly

Dram3000
06-20-2003, 10:43 AM
Man, I haven't been on this site in a long ass time. Anyways, on the subject of the rear emblems...I got another option you may think about.

I know some people like their car to be all clean shaven, me being one of them. But as we all know, if you remove the triple diamond emblem, you're left with holes...and repainting the whole trunk just for that, is a bit much for people...considering they can leave the emblem on for free. I understand.

There was a solution I thought of a long time ago, but only got around to trying it about 4 months ago. Which I did successfully.

I removed the emblem. Then I took a small diameter, round fine file, and lightly twist it in the holes. Not to get it to bare metal or anything, just to scuff the edge of the holes a tiny bit, cuz later on, I'm going to add paint, and I want it to be able to adhere as best as possible. (I'm sure you can tightly roll up a fine piece of sandpaper instead of a file, I just happen to use a file is all.)

Once I did this, I cut a piece of aluminum tape (the kind used for sealing up air ducts) and placed it over the holes, from the inside of the trunk. I made sure the contact was nice and clean. Pressed and massaged the tape down repeatedly, just to double and triple check it's not gonna come loose. Then for good measure, put one more bigger piece over that one, and pressed and massaged it down firmly too.

Then I took some factory touch up paint and with a fine bristle brush, layed down the first layer into the holes. Let it dry for a lil' bit, then kept repeating this until the holes got flush with paint.

The sheet metal of the trunk isn't double wall or anything, so the paint layers aren't as thick a chunk of paint as you may think. Plus, when I applied the tape, the tape indents a lil bit, helping to shim up the hole.

Now, I have it at a point where the paint in the holes are pretty much flushed up to the rest of the topcoat. And since I was specifically applying the paint into the holes, then wiping any excess off from around the holes...as it sits, it is already not that bad looking. I say at about 10 feet or so, you don't really notice it.

But now I took a product called Langka. Some of you know of it, some don't. It is sort of like a scratch remover, but it is way better (I've used it a couple years now). This product was originally designed to be used on rare, expensive cars, show cars, etc.

What it does, is removes and polishes out touch-up paint blobs left by touch-up paint, when trying to fix chips and deep scratches. And it does this exceptionally well, when used correctly.

I put a couple more layers of touch-up paint over the holes...that were already essentially flushed up. On these couple applications, I went ahead and painted around the holes a tiny bit, just to assure full coverage of the holes.

Keep in mind that I used a fine tip brush, and very thin coats. So there isn't any paint blobs to begin with. Just a fresh layer of touch-up paint, brushed very smoothly over the factory paint.

I let those final coats dry until the next day - roughly 12 hours after I applied it. I'll leave the link to the site below, they have the exact directions and range of time frames. Roughly 12 hours is what always worked for me, and is within their range of time as well.

The next day I go ahead and use the Langka product on the touch-up paint. It works like a charm, as it always does. Now once I fully complete the process, which isn't anything more than rubbing off/out the touch-up paint...the holes and any evidence of them ever being there, is virtually non-existent.

Then I go ahead and apply a thin coat of clearcoat over the area, and let that dry fully. Once it does, I go back and use the Langka just like I did on the color coat, and simply polish it out.

It is now all completed. I let that fully dry and cure another day, and then slap a nice protective coat of wax over it, buff it out to a silky smooth finish, to seal it all up nice.

If I didn't make any mention of what I did, and you walked around my car up close...I mean up close now...I guarantee you would be none the wiser, and just think I had the whole truck repainted. Yes, it's that clean.

Now, here's another great thing about this mod I did. If for whatever reason, you don't get the results you like...which if you take your time, I don't see how you couldn't. The way I went about everything, it can all be reversed without sacrificing any original harm.

Remember, it's only touch-up paint, and even if there is any dulling or anything around the holes, when you put the emblem back on, it'll cover all that up. And you'll be right back to the way you started, not any harm or damage done.

Now, you might be thinking, what about any natural vibrations from the car...it can crack the paint around the holes, leaving it obviously messed up looking. True...but it's been 4 months in, and there is yet to be any hairline crack, or anything.

Of course I can't tell the future, but until when or if that happens...for me, since I like it clean shaven, I'll just fix any hairline cracks with touch-up paint and make it like new again. (I also considered using JB Weld instead of the aluminum tape, if it ever did crack. Using JB Weld would probably eliminate it from ever cracking, cuz I would flush the hole up first with it, then just apply such a thin coat of paint, it would be pretty resilient to cracking, I bet.)

For me, this mod was easily worth it. Based off a few reasons...this is a mod that done traditionally, is a mod that's not done, cuz the average person, doesn't feel it's worth the cost of repainting. Therefore, anyone with it done traditionally, gets extra props for applying that type of detail to their ride.

Now I get all of the above, and for the cost of only the factory touch-up paint and the bottle of Langka...under $30 total.

I don't have no pics, I don't even come on here no more really. But if I ever take some, I'll be sure to post them. It's nothing to see, you know what it'll look like already. Like any other miscellaneous area of your car.

Here's the link:

http://www.langka.com ('http://www.langka.com')

Go check the site, read up on it, even regardless of this mod, that stuff is good for fixing any other chips and scratches you might have.

Peace.