PDA

View Full Version : Galant Top Speed??

Ol School Pervert
08-28-2002, 10:15 PM
Okay, I'm having a difficult time figuring out my ES's top speed. I've hit top speed plenty of times on empty highways. Basically what it would do is this: The gauge needle would go a little past the 120mph mark and stick there for a minute or two and the pedal would push itself back up to slow you down (I guess that's the governer kicking in?). Anyway, the other night I was going between 110-115mph and the pedal pushed itself back up! Does anyone know why this happened? I have two theories: 1) the engine wasn't warmed up enough<--doubt it because I slowly hit the right amount of revs until it was up to temperature, but its still a possibility. or 2) My car doesn't want to go 120mph anymore https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Anyone have a clue?

Auto-9
08-28-2002, 10:37 PM
Hmm...I dunno I have heard it's governed at about 127 or such, but I've never hit my top speed in my V6 before. All I know is I can hit 115 in 3rd gear before the limiter kicks in.

pinoyesv6
08-28-2002, 11:03 PM
galant doesn't really have a top speed. its just gets cut off when u hit the rev limiter at last gear, either it be 90 mph driving agains the wind of 200 falling off a cliff...

burthold
08-28-2002, 11:18 PM
rev limiter kill the fule in lower gears and speed limiter at 128MPH we have hashed this out a million times. I can't belive you old timers don't remember these little chit chats before.

Wes

pinoyesv6
08-28-2002, 11:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burthold)</div><div class='quotemain'>rev limiter kill the fule in lower gears and speed limiter at 128MPH we have hashed this out a million times. I can't belive you old timers don't remember these little chit chats before.

Wes</div>

the reason i said what i said is because i know that u can hit the limiter before 128. but then again, you have to think are you really going 128. i mean your speedo doesn't go up that high. and yea the circumference of the tires is constantly changing and maybe ur speedo is miscallibrated. yea you can't really judge how fast ur going when u get up that high unless you had some kind of auxilliary measuring tool.

wish the old board was here so we can' link up to that haha..so many thoughts.

burthold
08-29-2002, 12:10 AM
Mitsu says its hard set at 128mph. When the ECU recives the speed it kills the fuel. Lol, I miss the old board too. I was pulling as much as I could from it but it be gone now!

Wes

Reelax
08-29-2002, 02:05 AM
umm... i've done it too many times. the power goes away at 128mph regardless of RPM. i get to 128mph at about 5200rpm in 4rth. trust me guys. galantesp and i have run and both of us hit limiter numerous times on road trips and cruises.

TJC
08-29-2002, 02:22 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>umm... Â*i've done it too many times. Â*the power goes away at 128mph regardless of RPM. Â*i get to 128mph at about 5200rpm in 4rth. Â*trust me guys. Â* galantesp and i have run and both of us hit limiter numerous times on road trips and cruises.</div>

I must have missed that answer Wes. I know it's been much talked about in the past but remember talk about rev limiter versus speed limiter and whether or not it's gear specific, etc., etc.

Since Reelax has confirmed it for us, looks like it's true for ..... 8G's only? I know I bounced off the top before and it definitely cuts the fuel but not pushing back effect on the pedal. That's also not possible unless there's a mechanism that pulls the cable back and we know that doesn't exist, lol.

BTW, is there any electronic devices for the 8G that actually bypasses the speed governor thing? just curious if it's been made.

Has anyone confirmed the rev limiter in lower gears? I do know that the tranny/ECU has some built in safety. I miss shifted from 4th to 2nd and it would not drop to 2nd gear even though my stick is in that position. It just down shifted to 3rd and the tach reflects that. I also once shifted manually but you know how there is a little delay of like a second before actually upshifting gears and the engine actually bounced off the top of the tach until it finally upshifted. Now is this the rev limiter or some other type of built in safety in the ECU and what exactly does it do? I know this didn't cut my fuel. It was just weird.

Reelax
08-29-2002, 03:17 AM
yeah u can't force shift into 2nd (even if u drop the lever that far) over 80mph. dropping into first can't be done over 25mph even though 1st will run to 45mph! it is an electronic lockout.

there is a revlimiter at around 6250rpm in first, second and third... to test it, start from less than 25mph in first and keep it locked in 1st (shift lever all the way back) and floor it to 45mph trying to get to 50mph, u will bouce off the revlimiter at redline... the same will happen locked into second at 80mph and locked in 3rd at around 110mph. i think that if the speed limiter were disabled, you would hit 6250rpm (and the rev limiter in 4rth) at around 135mph-140mph as a best guess.

also there is a device that will kill the speed limiter... i have seen it... lemme see if i can find it...

take a look at this! SPORTS VSD ('http://www.defi-shop.com/product/vsd/svsd/svsd_top.htm')

"Speed Governor Release
Speed Governor Release is applicable to the vehicles using the vehicle speed sensor signal for the speed governing function."

looks pretty cool too!

TJC
08-29-2002, 03:34 AM
That is an interesting product. If it really is made to counter the Speed Governor on our ride, that wouldn't be bad. Only thing is that it tracks mileage in km increments. With that said, I wonder if the speed reading is also in km. That would mean nothing to me, hahahahaha. But still an interesting product if it along over rides the governor.

Auto-9
08-29-2002, 07:22 AM
Aye my car wouldn't let me drop the gear at high speeds. Trying to keep the car in L or 2 and driving fast obviously doesn't work, otherwise what's the point of having those specific gears eh? 8)

Strahan
08-29-2002, 03:53 PM
Well, you could go faster than 128 in your Galant, just floor it while going down a nice and long (preferrably straight heh) mountain road https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif The fuel may cut but gravity will take up where it let off hehe.

Ol School Pervert
08-29-2002, 03:58 PM
Well, you could go faster than 128 in your Galant, just floor it while going down a nice and long (preferrably straight heh) mountain road https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif The fuel may cut but gravity will take up where it let off hehe.

Not too many mountain roads here in Florida :?

Kwiksix
08-29-2002, 06:48 PM
I'm sure I've gone faster than that in my car, or my rev/speed meter is
wrong and I've confirmed that with two of friends with cars capable of reaching 155.
I've asked a couple of mitsu techs and they all agree that if the power is there you'll only be limited by your tranny.

Auto-9
08-29-2002, 08:17 PM
I dunno this seems to be a topic of controversy...maybe next time when I get a dyno done I'll ask that they do it in D and max out the speed...seems to be the only sure way.

Ol School Pervert
08-29-2002, 08:25 PM
I dunno this seems to be a topic of controversy...maybe next time when I get a dyno done I'll ask that they do it in D and max out the speed...seems to be the only sure way.

I agree.

00GTZ00
08-30-2002, 08:06 AM

This won't give you an accurate top speed because the wind resistance is not factored in. All the dyno will tell you is how fast it can spin the dyno drum. this is JMO but the best way to find the true top speed of YOUR car is to buy a radar gun off of ebay and go test your car on a remote long streach of track/airport runway etc..

Auto-9
08-30-2002, 10:58 AM
Perhaps not, but without wind resistance we can go MUCH faster since it requires less work and thus put to end the question of if the car's speed is governed or not at 127.

galant2kde
09-01-2002, 02:02 AM
hey wait a sec i tried to top my new 2002 i4 i got, and the fuckin thing goes only 117mph and the rpms are a 4200 Y WONT IT GO HIGHER and at what speed when u floor it does 4th gear click in?

Reelax
09-01-2002, 04:23 AM
I'm sure I've gone faster than that in my car, or my rev/speed meter is
wrong and I've confirmed that with two of friends with cars capable of reaching 155.
I've asked a couple of mitsu techs and they all agree that if the power is there you'll only be limited by your tranny.

guys, the speed limiter is an electronic fuel reduction when the ECU sees 128mph. it is not the gearing or power. the car obviously will run past 128 if the limiter was not there and should be geared to about 140mph in 4rth maybe. according to ur sig, u r turbo... do u have an altered ECU or do u have electronics that will override the speed limiter? there are units out there that will elimnate the fuel cut. i have hit the limiter many times and the power just goes away until the car goes back to about 120mph then everything goes normal again and you can accelerate to limiter again. spnning the car on the dyno to speed limiter will work too as it has nothing to do w/ wind resistance or actual work by the engine since the limiter is hard wired into the speed sensor and tranny. also even with the speed limiter deactivated, if you had 1000hp w/ the same redline (6250rpm) and 4rth gear ratio, ur 8G would not go faster as now u would be bouncing off the redline... increasing power does not change ur gearing (for instance u will not be able to run to 60mph in first just because u have the power to) and will not increase the non-limited top speed w/o a change in gearing; you will however get there much quicker!

btw, we are not setting land speed records here guys, 128mph is fast enough.

Auto-9
09-01-2002, 09:08 AM
It's not fast enough...it's too fast. I usually can't go past 110 in a relatively safe environment...unless you're talking about me blowing away WarrenG on the way to the Texas meet https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Tiller
09-01-2002, 10:27 PM
shit, my car hasn't even seen 80 yet... :roll:

my bike on the other hand...? 160 on a pretty regular basis... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Fishboy55
09-01-2002, 10:55 PM
Reelax is right. 128 is the speed limiter set by the ECU. BTW, if anyone decides to defeat it or override it, make sure your tires are appropriately rated to handle the additional speed. That's why Mitsu put it on there, and we can't afford to have anyone hurt or worse because you blew a tire at 135.

Chip

2001KnightRider
09-02-2002, 12:59 AM
the limiter at 128 i don't think is true, i was racing a grand am down to a race one day on a open road, and my needle was burried, and i was passing him slowly, and after that i talked to him and he said his needle was at 134 and i was barely goin faster then him so i said about 135 i was goin, cause his speedo goes up to 160

Reelax
09-02-2002, 09:00 PM
ok whatever.

VegasMatt
09-02-2002, 09:09 PM
I had my car up to 212 MPH.

Then I woke up in a cold sweat and a big smile.

Fishboy55
09-02-2002, 10:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok whatever.</div> https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Yea what he said...All the manuals are wrong, the guy with the 160MPH speedo is the authority.

mercer
09-02-2002, 10:26 PM
I own a japan version of the galant 1998 v6 2.5 liter and I have taken it up to around 240 km/h (150 m/h)

no governor in these models...

00GTZ00
09-03-2002, 07:10 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2001KnightRider)</div><div class='quotemain'>the limiter at 128 i don't think is true, i was racing a grand am down to a race one day on a open road, and my needle was burried, and i was passing him slowly, and after that i talked to him and he said his needle was at 134 and i was barely goin faster then him so i said about 135 i was goin, cause his speedo goes up to 160</div>

If his speedo was stock then it is the first GA in history to have a 160 mph speedo, and if it was an aftermarket speedo i would venture to say that it is way off.

Nick VR4
09-03-2002, 08:09 AM
My Speedo goes to 180mph

Auto-9
09-03-2002, 08:26 AM
Us Yankees only please https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Nick VR4
09-03-2002, 08:29 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

WarrenG
09-03-2002, 11:52 AM
128, 135, 190... where are you gonna find room to go that fast anyway.
Not here in houston. Those kinds of speeds are meant for the track not the city street. I like my car and bike to be as fast as the next one but lets all be safe out there guys.

Hey Tiller. Love the bike man. I got a GSXR

Auto-9
09-03-2002, 02:01 PM
Yeah you really don't need that kind of speed to beat Warren anyway https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

757Boyzgtz
09-03-2002, 08:13 PM
well im not really sure what the g-ride maxes out at but ive hit 110 easily a couple of times w/ no problem. just sunday night was the most recent and didnt try goin any faster b/c i already smoked the fool that wanted to race me