PDA

View Full Version : Question on turbo for I4 galant

2003galantes
06-09-2003, 12:28 AM
Hey everyone im brand new to these boards so i need a little help please. I was previously a member of the 3rd gen eclipse boards so i know a little since these cars seem to run pretty much the same. I just traded in my 2001 spyder gt for a 2003 galant es yesterday.To keep it simple thesize of the convertible wasnt cutting it for my wife and i and with kids in the up coming future i needed something bigger. I wasnt really to into the gtz cause the v6 to me was a little overated in these cars plus of the added 300 lb added weight to the car so i figured id save the extra money and insurance and get the 4 banger. the v6 was a pain in the but in my eclipse to do any tuneups as i had to remove the plenum to get at the other 3 plugs and just wanted a easy 4 banger i could throw a turbo on. So i know there were a couple of eclipse with turbos on the eclipse board but they all seem to have a problems with them..i think it was not running good on boost and a bunch of members kept fucking up their cars. What do ya guys know that works for this car. I dont want to make it a drag racer but id rather have it do mid 14"s than mid 17's. plus i saw a few members with a nice evo style hood and body kit and i think im pretty much in love with that look.So any info you guys can give me to help get this puppy moving faster id appreciate it since you probaly already know out there what works for this car and what doesnt. Im also in South florida so if any buddy knows of any shops down here that are good i think i still have like 3 grand left on my visa to get this car moving. Thanx in advance

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif Marco

J
06-09-2003, 02:06 AM
welcome. search these threads and customizing/performance threads...you'll find all you need to know...

welcome again! 8)

DJ Galant
06-09-2003, 03:03 PM
you are in the right place buddy.
This is turbo forum, and i will be glad to help u.

My number 1 recomendation if u go turbo is to get forged, lower compression pistons.
I blew piston #4 in my car before, and it was a pain.
Ever since I went with JE pistons there is no more problems with knocking.

Make sure u get lots of fuel upgrades such as (in my case 460cc injectors with warlbro 255 lph , and vortex fmu 8:1, and Apex'i safc works the best cuz it is easy to get in 12:1 air to duel ratio when tuning).

Get itrdone the first place, get external wastgate so u can set it at low boost, go with the FM intercooler, and don't forget to change your exhaust.

I know everything is very expansive, but with some used parts u should be able to make a descent setup @ descent price.

Turbo is your choice - i went with just small 16 g, because of fitting issues. Get 2g (not 1g cuz they are famous for cracking) turbo eclipse/talon exhaust manifold, since it is a bolt-on).

Get the boost and EGT gauge - very crucial.

That should be it.

Get this shit tuned and u will love it.

Defeniately it is not a drag setup or anything, but certanly with no doubts it is the perfect street setup.

I dynoyed @ 4.5 psi 181whp with 165 FT/LB at the wheels.

Only at 4.5 psi u will get very strong power at the freeway because rpms get little higher, and exhaust gases have enough flow.

2003galantes
06-09-2003, 10:32 PM
thank you so much for the welcome to the club , its kinda funny that i have the i4 now since i knew so much about the 6g72. i even still have my custom rpw header system w/ hi-flo cat still in my garage that i took off my 3g. Ive been still getting numerous PM's from my fellow 3g neweclipse.org members to sell them my system. but i still havent got the nerve yet to part with it. i original paid 600 for the first set of headers from rpw a while back and even spent another 500 to have it made to fit my car and the hi-flo cat that i added inline with it in the center exhaust pipe after i had the shop remove all the resonators in the exhaust.So i guess now its a new project to start. I see that RIPP finally made a nice setup for the i4 at $3200 thats not bad for the power they are putting out .In your guys opinion is it worth getting RIPPS system or trying to find parts to make my your own turbo. I just dont want to end up with a mickey mouse turbo kit. Is there any threads that list exactly what is needed like an a-z turbo kit for the 4g64. If not that would be a good thread to make. Thanx everybody for all your input

DJ Galant
06-10-2003, 05:49 AM
http://4g64.150m.com/turbo.html ('http://4g64.150m.com/turbo.html')
good web site about turbocharging 4g64 engines.

I don't really know much about superchargers myself, went with the turbo mydelf and I am very happy with it.

Ask others supercharger owners what thy think about it but I am defeniately big Turbo fan. Of course if i had a v6 i would consider a supercharger also, but honestely I never really heard of any big numbers produced by supercharger on any 4 cylinder car.

Supercharger is driven by a pulley that is inline with the crank , while turbo is driven by exhaust gases. With no doubts -both turbo and supercharger will increase hp and torque numbers.
Do some research and I am defenitely sure that u will know what will work better for u.
Good Luck.

Black Magic
06-10-2003, 10:26 AM
if some one wants to go turbo how much should they expect to pay on parts and labor

Moosh
06-10-2003, 06:41 PM
$2000-$4000 depending on the parts you choose and if they are brand new or used.

Labor could be cheaper if you have a friend that can do the job, otherwise it could cost more than $1000 to have a turbo setup in the galant with custom piping, changed ECU and tuned fuel system. I heard from other people that the supercharger system is easier to do because it is a complete kit.

Faction
06-10-2003, 06:47 PM
welcome to the club, since you said you're in florida....im glad you are! I'd like you to join TGC Florida as its growing....just PM me your name and i'll put it on the website.....http://florida.galants.com/

Black Magic
06-10-2003, 07:07 PM
which would make an i4 go the fastest turbo or the sds without blowing your engine of course?

8ggalant
06-10-2003, 07:16 PM
id say thats all relative...they can both "BLOW" yer engine...u jusst have to make sure u take all preventive measures possible...remember yer engine didnt come from the factory turbo'd or supercharged...so yer engine may not like boosting verry much...now...u can spend the 3+ grand and get the sds or u can invest that in lower compresion, port polishing the head, upgrade fuel system and get a turbo and intercooler...dont forget someone to install...if yer somewhat mechanically inclined or have a mechanic friend u can do some of it yerself w/out havin to worry about labor charges...all the peicies of my kit including engine rebuild(low comp pistons and head work) , turbo, intercooler , injectors , fuel pump, fpr, safc and egt is gonna run me about 3500-4000 max...should be way less....so i'd go turbo...my .02 c

2003galantes
06-10-2003, 10:31 PM
sounds like turbo is gonna be the way to go.

so far i got an intake(its funny but the injen intake for v6 gt eclipse fit perfect)
got nice 20% tintall all around
got custom 2 tone leather installed in car
got my zenon lamps and fog bulbs
already debaged the ES off

not to bad since i only had the car for 3 days now and it only has 80miles on it.

next mod :

gonna try and do the clear corner mod.

then buy the r34 skyline wing from erubini
then lowering springs ( so whats best for this car..ride quality and height)

then some 18" rims( probaly gonna make a few calls see if anything is hot and they wanna sell it cheap)

then turbo kit ( gonna have to wait i gues around 1500 miles to break the car in first)

but the first thing is find out why the engines shakes so goddam much when idiling and going around 45.

#1 could be cheap gas from the dealer ( still original tank of gas)
#2 could be something to do with a/c compressor ( dont know why )
#3 could be because its only got 80 miles on it ( but its brand new)
#4 could be because i got a fuckin lemon ( my luck)

cdaw2001ES
06-11-2003, 10:35 AM
Hey guys, so what you are saying is a 2G eclipse turbo manfoild is a direct bolt on for our 4g64?

Lazarus
06-11-2003, 10:49 AM
i kow the 1G turbo is a direct bolt on
http://images.andale.com/f2/121/116/1735586/1053556701210_PLP1390033.jpg

Dependng on which turbo you use I think this one will be the one you'd use. But when ordering it check to see which car it came off of or which one it's meant to go on. reason being. THe 5 speed tranny GS-T manifolds are a little more open than the Automatic. I think that's how it goes. Give me a secong Let me check into that one.

cdaw2001ES
06-11-2003, 10:57 AM
check this out
Scroll down toward the bottom
http://www.buschurracing.com/cgi-bin/ez-ca...ay.cgi?2X376545 ('http://www.buschurracing.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?2X376545')

I thing I'm going to have to drive over there and see If I can get my hands on one of them there ported ones

2003galantes
06-12-2003, 11:46 PM
WOW, that link to bushurracing is great.We should be able to get everything we need to make our own turbo kit all right there.Does anybody know exactly which exhaust manifold to use?a 1g or a 2g? they have one for a t4 series turbo , a t3/t4 turbo, a 2g oem exhaust manifold ported. plus you can get the piping and everything there. To all you guys out there running turbos ..A parts list of whats needed would be great this way i can start collecting what i need for my kit.I know that some of the i4 2000 eclipses running turbos had some fuel controling problems , how has everybody with the turbo galants worked to fix these issues?..Marco

cdaw2001ES
06-13-2003, 05:54 AM
Hey DJ
Didi the fmic requier you to remove the grill, or did you do it, just for the look?

ken inn
06-13-2003, 10:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>i kow the 1G turbo is a direct bolt on
http://images.andale.com/f2/121/116/1735586/1053556701210_PLP1390033.jpg

Dependng on which turbo you use I think this one will be the one you'd use. But when ordering it check to see which car it came off of or which one it's meant to go on. reason being. THe 5 speed tranny GS-T manifolds are a little more open than the Automatic. I think that's how it goes. Give me a secong Let me check into that one.</div>

actually, the 2g exh manifold is way superior to the 1g(remember, in the 4g63t motors-t/e/l and gvr4, there is only 1g, 90-94 and 2g, 95-99). the 1g manifold will crack in a VERY short time. the 2g manifold has a lot more nickel in it, and also flows better than the 1g, and-get this-costs less. both have the same bolt patterns, the 2g has 10mm holes on each end, and a very small portion of the left side may have to be ground off to fit. no big deal, i long ago converted to the 2g manifold.

DJ Galant
06-13-2003, 01:27 PM
i mentioned earlier above - get 2 g exhaust manifold - yes, it just bolts on - but get a gasket with it .

both 1 g and 2g will bolt on .

jluv97
06-13-2003, 01:32 PM
That mani will work for both 7 and 8g galants right?

[sorry to sound like a n00b]

cdaw2001ES
06-13-2003, 02:48 PM
I'm tying to get an apointment to get out there, we'll know for sure very soon. I'm going to speak with god

DJ Galant
06-14-2003, 06:15 AM
About 7g question - the answer is yes - since exhaust manifold is connected to the cylinder head and our motors and 4g63 series engines have the same bolt pattern and exhaust ports it will work on all 4g64 motors and 4g63.

DJ Galant
06-14-2003, 06:17 AM
about the grill - yeah i just took it off for the pic.

I hate our 8g chrome grilles.

cdaw2001ES
06-14-2003, 06:39 AM
could you post - or post a link, to your install, or particualr I'd like to see how much space the turbo and IC, piping take up and how they are run

DJ Galant
06-14-2003, 03:46 PM
For more pics visit my web site .
Address in signature.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/219000-219999/219432_44_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/219000-219999/219432_45_full.jpg

4G64T
06-14-2003, 06:18 PM
hey DJ were did you tap for the oil feed and return line i was checking the eclipse board but nobody had any good pics thats the only thing holdin me back and where to place the blowoff valve cuz i heard people havin problems with venting it

DJ Galant
06-16-2003, 02:58 AM
use a high quality line bro. I don't really have any pics of the oil feed.
For the return line I put a fitting in my oil pan. I don't have pics of that nor i have the pics of the oi feed.

As far as the BOV goes defeniately somewhere on your your upper intecooler pipe between the end tank and the throttle body. Mine is located in the middle.

4G64T
06-16-2003, 05:22 AM
thanks for the info i have another question about your bov what kind are you using and is it vented and if so do you have any problems with the car dying?

ken inn
06-16-2003, 08:34 AM
the turbo oil return line MUST be above the oil level in the sump. turbo return oil is in a "foamy" state, and if you return it below the oil level, you will have foamy oil going into the pump pickup, and critical surfaces like bearings will NOT be properly lubed.
if you run the stock karman mas, you must reroute the bov back into the intake, because the air that is "blown" out of the bov has already been counted and fuel added for this air, and the car will run rich and die between shifts if the bov is vented to atmosphere. you can defeat this by eliminating the mas. examples are the maft translator, using the gm hotwire mas, or the hks vpc. on my car, i installed a dejon tools short metal intake tube, and now the stock bov(properly crushed, w/the dejon valve) is VERY loud. although lots of ricers like to have a loud bov, i dont.

DJ Galant
06-16-2003, 03:30 PM
i don't consider myself a ricer - but i love loud bov. I am venting into atmosphere myslef and car used to idle like shit befor, but when the BOV was adjusted all the problems were gone.
At the beggining the car (when i first put a turbo on it) - the car used to stall a lot. We fixed this problem by replacing clamps and hoses cuz for some reason my IC pipe was comming off at the throttle body due to the pressure.
I am using Apex'i Twin Chamber BOV - very good qualityaftermarket valve. It is fully adjustable - and something for u kenn - u can adjust the sound of it.
I was thinking of putting gm sensor myself too. They flow pretty good according to a friend of mine, and he adjusted the knobs inside to the point where he doesn't use SAFC on his 91 eagle talon turbo.

I had stalling problems due to venting into atmosphere till i installed SFAC. I adjusted the idle then, and all the problems were gone.

fstrthnu
06-16-2003, 07:37 PM
The apexi s-afc has a mode you can enable if you want to vent into the atmosphere so you don't have idle probs...don't know from personal expereince but will by the end of the week... :twisted:

4G64T
06-17-2003, 02:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken inn)</div><div class='quotemain'>you can defeat this by eliminating the mas. Â*examples are the maft translator, using the gm hotwire mas, or the hks vpc. Â*on my car, i installed a dejon tools short metal intake tube, and now the stock bov(properly crushed, w/the dejon valve) is VERY loud.</div>

ok for the most part i understand this but can you please explain the different methods of eliminating the MAS? because i would prefer not to crush a brand new expensive BOV

ken inn
06-17-2003, 08:55 AM
ok for the most part i understand this but can you please explain the different methods of eliminating the MAS? because i would prefer not to crush a brand new expensive BOV[/quote]

afaik, only the 1g STOCK bov is crushed. the reason is the spring inside is a bit weak, and when running hi boost levels, it will start to leak. PROPERLY crushing it increases tension on the spring, and it then will hold pressure well beyond 20 lbs boost. even the 2g cars can benefit from the 1g bov, since the 2g bov is plastic, and really sucks.
the afc i have will NOT compensate for lost air thru the bov. i dont have the very latest version with the toggle switch, but i dont see how that would work, because you would have to set the rpm that it opens at, and that changes with every shift.

fstrthnu
06-17-2003, 11:26 AM
Ok...I did some researcing and found out that the s-afc DOES have a function to stop the problem with open air BOV's....BUT, it only works on cars with hot wire air flow meters...we have karman type MAS. So how do you go about ridding this problem on our cars???

BuddyLeeX
07-23-2003, 02:58 PM
I might get a 2000 galant inline 4. This post has been helpful. I saw the link with the turbo list http://4g64.150m.com/turbo2.html ('http://4g64.150m.com/turbo2.html')

posted by djgalant.

If all I need is that stuff on that list, I can get it from my friend who has like 3 eclipses and has been racing them for a while now and he has pretty much all of that in his garage that he would sell to me.

Also, the engine is stock, I guess im gonna need some better pistons, rods, then of course intake, and catback.

HiperSilver
07-24-2003, 01:17 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken inn)</div><div class='quotemain'>the turbo oil return line MUST be above the oil level in the sump. Â*turbo return oil is in a "foamy" state, and if you return it below the oil level, you will have foamy oil going into the pump pickup, and critical surfaces like bearings will NOT be properly lubed. Â*
Â* Â* if you run the stock karman mas, you must reroute the bov back into the intake, because the air that is "blown" out of the bov has already been counted and fuel added for this air, and the car will run rich and die between shifts if the bov is vented to atmosphere. Â*you can defeat this by eliminating the mas. Â*examples are the maft translator, using the gm hotwire mas, or the hks vpc. Â*on my car, i installed a dejon tools short metal intake tube, and now the stock bov(properly crushed, w/the dejon valve) is VERY loud. Â*although lots of ricers like to have a loud bov, i dont.</div>

sometimes a myth abotu recirc. I know guys with 2g's running open ATM on a HKS SSQV and i know people doing the same with a 1g. 1g stalls out, 2g runs fine... But yea. if ur a ricer you will open ATM , if u know shit ull recirc.

Not to mentio using a VPC or Standalone to eliminate the mas is expensive as shit. As for what BOV to use. stock 1st gen is good for around 24 psi

mark1
07-24-2003, 07:34 PM
personally i would go with a supercharger system. a lil more cash but definately more reliable in most cases and more low end torque which anyone who drives an auto four cyl galant should be craving. top end doesnt mean shit if you can't beat a five speed civic off the line. i like all around driveablility thats why i wuold go with a supercharger. yes the upgradeability is greater with turbo but if you are only looking for a 15 flat or so car, supercharga is the way to go imo.

8ggalant
07-24-2003, 07:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mark1)</div><div class='quotemain'>personally i would go with a supercharger system. Â*a lil more cash but definately more reliable in most cases and more low end torque which anyone who drives an auto four cyl galant should be craving. Â*top end doesnt mean shit if you can't beat a five speed civic off the line. Â*i like all around driveablility thats why i wuold go with a supercharger. Â*yes the upgradeability is greater with turbo but if you are only looking for a 15 flat or so car, supercharga is the way to go imo.</div>

i have beat 5 spd civics off the line...and with the same extra amount of money u spent to get sds...plus installation and tuning....u can get a home built turbo kit...rebuilt bottem end (for "reliability") and u can pretty much istall and base tune yourself....IMO

HiperSilver
07-25-2003, 12:04 AM
i4 turbo
v6 SC

with 2.4 of displacement torque really isnt that neccesary, our motors make decent torque. And with a fwd car u really dont want something that will give you INSTANT power. Makes it very very difficult to launch. As for turbos, by the time its spooled you have traction, it just works that way...and i dont feel like changing pullies everytime i want more boost.

sabzi5858
07-25-2003, 12:23 AM
don't think just because you have traction now that you'll have it later. if i floor it at 3000rpm or earlier in 2nd gear, i'll have traction, but as soon as it hits around 4500rpm and my turbo spools all the way, i lose traction.

cdaw2001ES
07-25-2003, 02:00 AM
racelogic traction control system?

mark1
07-25-2003, 09:24 AM
im sorry but at 165 torque at the wheels on a 3k plus pound car with an auto tranny i dont think you will be having traction problems with the sds. i used to drive a galant 4g64 and i know how incredibly weak first gear is. what i would want is a system that gives power in the entire powerband, not just at the top end. my current car has low end torque and believe me its a very nice thing to have. and the top end kills to. btw my wheel numbers are very similar to those of a 4g64 sds'ed car and i have a good manual tranny and awd. so i have experienced both ends of the spectrum with the galant and the a4.

HiperSilver
07-25-2003, 06:00 PM
im sayin with 300 whp or whatever your aiming for...traction will be a problem. Drive a fwd in the strip and you will see how hard it is to keep the wheels from spiining...

sabzi...thats expexted with a motor that has balls on a street tire..get yourself some drag radials and you relaly wont feel that anymore

mark1
07-31-2003, 11:23 AM
with a five speed i agree with you and also if you have 300 hp, but neither of those things are the case with 8g 4g64's. so the point is not valid.

HiperSilver
08-01-2003, 02:00 AM
we arent talkin about stock, we are talking about modded

HiperSilver
08-01-2003, 02:05 AM
personally i would go with a supercharger system. a lil more cash but definately more reliable in most cases and more low end torque which anyone who drives an auto four cyl galant should be craving. top end doesnt mean shit if you can't beat a five speed civic off the line. i like all around driveablility thats why i wuold go with a supercharger. yes the upgradeability is greater with turbo but if you are only looking for a 15 flat or so car, supercharga is the way to go imo.

if i spent 3000+ dollars for a kit and ran a 15, i would be kicking myself in the balls repeatedly.

mark1
08-01-2003, 12:16 PM
man you have to put yourself in the 8ger's shoes. they get only like 180 hp 160 torque from the sds. that most likely isnt gonna be getting you in the 14's. especially with that $hitty stock auto tranny. now 7g's with their lighter curb weight and five speed trannys have more potential. as for kicking yourself in the balls, i wonder why im not driving a 4g64 anymore. the cost and loss of reliability for speed is just not a worthwhile trade imo. its just not meant to be fast.

HiperSilver
08-03-2003, 01:22 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mark1)</div><div class='quotemain'>man you have to put yourself in the 8ger's shoes. Â*they get only like 180 hp 160 torque from the sds. Â*that most likely isnt gonna be getting you in the 14's. Â*especially with that $hitty stock auto tranny. Â*now 7g's with their lighter curb weight and five speed trannys have more potential. Â*as for kicking yourself in the balls, i wonder why im not driving a 4g64 anymore. Â*the cost and loss of reliability for speed is just not a worthwhile trade imo. Â*its just not meant to be fast.</div>

VERY true. The engine IMO isnt a really performance oriented engine, It makes 140 fucking horsepower out of a 2.4 liter engine, WEAKSAUCE, how can a gsr make 180 out of 1.8 liters, a civic si 160 out of 1.6 liters and us 140 out of 2.4 liters. Its just an Econo engine to be honest. Although if built properly it will smoke the shit out of many cars, but to build that motor and have an engine management system to make it run decent will be over 7000 dollars, swap it IMO. I love my galant but not enough to pay 3000 for a supercharger, when i can pay 2000 for a dsm and run laps around my galant.

And no one please tell me the 4g64 can be made fast for cheap. Because nitrous can make a Model Fucking T go fast.

Gir
08-04-2003, 09:18 AM
7000 dollars to make a 4g64 fast? Wow, I think you guys are over-shooting this a bit. I really would like to know what you are wasting 7000 on to make a 7g fast and still cant' break the 14's.

If a 4g64 is slow, explain why DSM guys are now using hybrid setups to get very high horsepower numbers with low turbo spool time? The 2.4 motor is a great asset in reducing the turbo spool duration.

Whoever said 300 hp isn't doable or is questionable in any form on a 4g64 is talking out of their ass. Plain and simple. Dsmtalk.com has several hybrid motors running very well. Here is one example.

4G64 junkyard motor - 64SA piston code on top of pistons = 9.5:1 CR

Results: 300whp @ 6200rpm on an AWD dynojet; ~275 ft-lb from 3500-6000rpm

Conditions: ~800' elevation, ~85 deg F, 29.90 in-Hg

Setup: 91 octane, 13psi boost, 15 deg timing at 7k

Components: Big everything

Those RPMs are awful low for any dsm. That is simply the beauty of the increased displacement and the longer stroke of a 4g64 over a 4g63. No, you can't rev it to 9000 RPM without first having done all the rest of the motor work to go with it, but the fact is why rev it harder if you already have 300 hp at 6000?

The overall costs of a hybrid 4g64 or sohc 4g64 turbo setup are going to be really cheap. The motors are usaully available in junkyards, go for well under 500 bux, and the eclipse heads are also easy to find. For well under 1000 bucks you can get a motor and head. That is a steal for a fresh motor to get working on. So starting from there you have a brand new motor and head and I'll be liberal here, call it 1000 bux, or if you want to you can use your stock bottom end and just save youself 500 bucks. Eclipse head -300 bucks. Next AFC, injectors, coilpacks, welding the holes in the block, gaskets, timing belt, cam gears and then the turbo parts. Obivously that is a very open decision based on your wallet. Point is, please do not come here and say that a 4g64 is weak or incapable of being worked on for under x price point. Obivously all motors will not perform well if you dont' take the time to do it right. THere is no such thing as an "easy build" or a cheap way out.

I think i'm done now.

Oh wait...why in the bloddy hell would you want to use a supercharger kit? I know this has been beaten with a stick way too many times and I am not trying to knock anybody who has one already. They are putting down excellent numbers are looking really nice. Personally, it is not the way to go for me. I personally look at this in terms of time on full boost versus time off boost and when the power is coming.

The supercharger kits all will give you between 8-10 psi, right? Well this is kinda misleading. Peak boost is only reached as you reach peak RPM. The boost is incremetal with your RPMs, thus you reach full boost for only a few seconds. With a turbo setup, you reach full spool at approximatly 2500-3000 revs. This again will vary with your choice of turbo. So let's analyze this. 15-20 psi for a powerband of 3000 rpms to 6000 or full incremetal boost from 0-6000 only reaching full, smaller boost numbers, at 6000 RPM? The choice is pretty simple.

Next point, a term nobody seems to understand. Useable power. This is one that I will never understand but here goes. American guys make big horsepower anywhere in the powerband with big engines and big displacement and big everything. Usually all domestics are beasts compared to the imports. However there is one thing that they never seem to do, that is learn to use the power they have when they have it. I've seen 1000+hp trans am's not even hook up at all until about halfway down the quarter mile. With a turbo setup, all of your power is goign to be on the top end of all your gears. Yes you will have a torque monster in a 2.4 motor versus the usual dsm 2 liter, but the point is you will have sufficient launch to get you off the line and into a good spool relatively quick. That same 1000+hp trans am that couldn't hookup was running next to a 1gina2g with a big 16g and a nice manifiold. That is it. The result, the DSM lost by a few tenths. The GSX ran a 11.1 consistenly all night. The trans am ran a 10.8. My point here, if you total out the expenses of that GSX, and compare that to the expenses of that trans am or just about any other imaginable car, then the results are staggering. A clipped 16g is only going to cost you about 700 or so dollars and the manifold isn't that bad either, and a few tweaks here and there and you run very low 11s?????

okay...now i think i'm done here...

HiperSilver
08-04-2003, 08:36 PM
LOW 11S ON A 16G. WOW wake up seriously, ill get into that a little later

On a sidenote,
Turbo the 4g64-2000 ABOUT
Get a built trans for all you auto guys-3000 about
Okay you got a turbo 4g64 that is now running numbers close to a stock gs-t.
YOU WILL need to do a shitload of tuning to get that turbo motor running well. Hence a standalone, diff fuel maps, timing adjustments. We have a built GSR , turbo, etc. It runs like shit, know why? cuz you will need a standalone to get taht thing running right. AFC will help but until you get a standalone or a VPC or something you gonna be stuck at 200.
Not to mention when you turbocharge the 4g64 , 2000 is for stock parts. if you want to run 250 whp your gonna need some other shit. 7000 is to get it running right. Sure we can turbo a 4g64 and do it for 3000. But when you start racing that thing, it will be the most unreliable race car until taht motor gets built, tuned, etc

as for a LS1 running a 10.8. thats not as fast as that car is going to go. that thing is just getting started.

Take an LS1
add a aggressive cam
headwork
intake
exhuast
Strip it
Put it on a boot
250 shot or more
and it will run low 10's

As for your gsx, thats bullshit on a 16g he ran a 11.1. Im not even gonna explain that one cuz tahts like saying a stock galant can run a 14 with 100 bucks in mods.

Your gonna need a 50 trim to get those numbers, even with that i would doubt it.

HiperSilver
08-04-2003, 08:41 PM
7000 to break 13's

and the 2.4 is overhyped for DSM's. Chances are if you want a 4g64 block and your sticking it in your dsm, you have the money to built the shit out of it.

What did AMS run with a 2.0 motor?

THANK YOU

unless you wanna brag and say, hey i got a 2.4 what now.

It would be abotu 50 times smarter to swap a 4g63t in a galant. Cheaper, youll go faster and wotn have to worry about reliability issues. That is the way to go for a movin car. Turbocharge the 4g64 and build it if u want a race car.

Im not nockin people who turbo the 64 but its seriosuly more than just strapping parts on and adding an afc. You will be faster no doubt, but the SOHC is gonna kill you in ways, youll want to upgrade to DOHC, then eventually built the motor so you can run more boost. FMIC, exhuast, etc.

Stewi
08-04-2003, 11:14 PM
Use the EVO3 manifold...bolt up perfect, stronger, better flow

Gir
08-05-2003, 10:06 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiperSilver)</div><div class='quotemain'>LOW 11S ON A 16G. WOW wake up seriously, ill get into that a little later

On a sidenote,
Turbo the 4g64-2000 ABOUT
Get a built trans for all you auto guys-3000 about

why the hell would i want an automatic? Â*buy a GS-T 2g transmission and it'll hold a lot better and cost about 300-500 dollars...not 3000 like you are claiming.

Okay you got a turbo 4g64 that is now running numbers close to a stock gs-t. Â*

No, you willl be faster. Â*Bigger displacement will give you faser numbers with the same boost levels

YOU WILL need to do a shitload of tuning to get that turbo motor running well. Hence a standalone, diff fuel maps, timing adjustments. We have a built GSR , turbo, etc. It runs like shit, know why? cuz you will need a standalone to get taht thing running right. AFC will help but until you get a standalone or a VPC or something you gonna be stuck at 200.
Not to mention when you turbocharge the 4g64 , 2000 is for stock parts. if you want to run 250 whp your gonna need some other shit. Â*7000 is to get it running right. Sure we can turbo a 4g64 and do it for 3000. But when you start racing that thing, it will be the most unreliable race car until taht motor gets built, tuned, etc

Actually I emailed Curt Shambeau about it. Â*He said his car is completely reliable and he is running a much larger turbo, so thus i raise the BS flag. Â*He has NO advanced engine management except for that really nice J&S knock sensor. Â*So once again, I raise the BS flag. Â*Curt's spyder has been running full boost for 1.5 years Â*w/o any problems. Â*Just to let you know. Â*

Also, there are little tools called DSMlink and pocketlogger/datalogger and such that can be bought for 600 bux and can defintily take care of business when it comes to engine management. Â*Or if you are going to insist on wasting money, go buy a Haltec. Â*Again, you probably will tell me i'm full of shit here but once you go hybrid 2g, you can use dsmlink and have no problems whatsoever if you are super nuts about it "running right" but again, Curt said his runs fine as a daily driver. Â*If you really got that into it you could run a hacked MAS anyway. Â*BTW, if the 4g64 isn't such a good block to run, why does magnus now offer them as his stage three bottom end? Â*I raise the BS flag.

You have a built GSR and you still can't get that right? Â*That should tell you somethign right there. Â*If you can't get a honda right, why are you even trying a dsm? Â*

as for a LS1 running a 10.8. thats not as fast as that car is going to go. that thing is just getting started. Â*

Take an LS1
add a aggressive cam
headwork
intake
exhuast
Strip it
Put it on a boot
250 shot or more Â*
and it will run low 10's

I have no clue what was in the Trans-am, i just know it was the second the last race of the day, and if a GSX with minimal modding kept up until then and still drove home that night in his car, not towing his car like all the others were...then that impressed me.

As for your gsx, thats bullshit on a 16g he ran a 11.1. Â*Im not even gonna explain that one cuz tahts like saying a stock galant can run a 14 with 100 bucks in mods.

Believe what you want, but it defintly happened. Â*No Problem Raceway, Donaldsonville, LA. Â*There were several guys I know that day at the track. Â*All of them will tell you the same thing. Â*The GSX was like the second qualifier that day. Â*I dont' really feel as though I have something to prove here.

Your gonna need a 50 trim to get those numbers, even with that i would doubt it.</div>

HiperSilver
08-06-2003, 01:44 AM
call up AMS, tell them a gsx ran a 11.1 on a 16g and minmal modding. Hear them hang up. its truly impossible. Unless your spraying a 100-150 shot i highly doubt it.

mark1
08-06-2003, 11:20 PM
good points hipersilver. the fact is is that if you have a galant an 8g only, i am not speaking for 7g owners as i have no experience as a 7g owner, its gonna take money to make your car quick, substantially more money than it will take to make say a civic fast or an accord or something of that type. but even those cars arent meant to be fast. they are economy cars meant for comfortable point a to point b transportation. what you will be doing if you mod these cars if you want to admit it or not, is fixing up a car to be what its not. and also to spend thousands of dollars on a car to make it perform up to a stock a4's performance specs is downright sad/ridiculous. cause it wuold take a galant 4g64 owner alot of cash to outrun or outhandle me in my car and i paid only 13g's for a car that has thus far proven reliable. it just comes down to facing the facts and taking whats available to you. not trying to make something out of nothing. :wink:

sabzi5858
08-06-2003, 11:52 PM
fastest dsm's:
Rank 1/4 ET 1/4 MPH 1/8 ET 1/8 MPH 60' Car Turbo N2O Name Shop

86 11.825 115.39 7.547 92.26 1.728 92 TSi RST small 16g NO Curtis Miska

sorry, came out of a list: http://www.dsmtimes.org/awd.htm ('http://www.dsmtimes.org/awd.htm')

here's fastest fwd
15 11.807 115.39 7.528 90.64 1.608 92 Lasar small 16g NO Richie Ferdinandi BM Tranny, GTRmotorsports.net

(fastest on 16g out of those lists)

HiperSilver
08-07-2003, 01:18 AM
thats high 11's

he was talking about an 11.1

.7 is alot in the quarter mile when your already that low into the digits.

Im sure its possible and been done, but an 11.1. We cant even run that with a 50 trim, external, exhuast, JUN cams, etc.

Gir
08-07-2003, 10:58 AM
thats high 11's

Im sure its possible and been done, but an 11.1. We cant even run that with a 50 trim, external, exhuast, JUN cams, etc.

Anyway, the point is...yes they do exist. If you do a 16g correctly, you can break into the 11's no problem. The problem usually is that people don't tune a 16g setup properly. I've seen so many 16g setups run 14's and 12's that it's not even funny. I've seen stock T25 setups beat some 16g's. It is all a matter of tuning.

The guy's car wasn't a 16g I was wrong. I'll admit it. He wasn't near his car and we were guessing that night. I do not know what kind of turbo it was at that time...I know that now he has a Garrett GT30 hybrid ball bearing. I found his car online.

You spoke of VP's turbos. He is the number one ranked car there. 1_Vicious_GSX is his nick. He has a STOCK bottom end GSX 99 7bolt motor.
http://www.victoryperformance.com/rides/ds...ail.cfm?ride=36 ('http://www.victoryperformance.com/rides/dsp_ridedetail.cfm?ride=36')
The times he has posted are old. The track times were the 11.1's that i mentioned. Not to mention that the guys were dumb for telling me it was only a 16g that night. Probably should have just walked over for myself. This guy laid out one of the new SC benz's that night. It was a site to see. Bet that guy went home crying over spending that much money on a sc benz.

He never said what kind of pistons he has, but other than that, the only mentioned internal work is that he's got HKS 272 cams as of now. He just swapped out his 262's. He is making over 400 at the wheels with his mods so far. On a stock 7bolt 4g63 bottom end that is supposedly weak.

Big 1g rods have shown to hold 400 hp consistently and smaller 2g rods (galant 4g64 rods also) hold to 300. The cams are decent on a 4g63 and they can easily be bumped to the HKS for not too much money. Again though, the point is, a 4g series motor is not crap, or hard to get up to speed.

A DOHC swap takes balls, that is all. Be willing to put your motor on the line. If you do it, you get a beast. 8g 4g64 woudl be even easier. The motor is already distributorless. 7g 4g64's are distributored motors. It is just that much easier when it comes time to put in the eclipse head.
Doing the swap only leads to benefits....you can use DSMlink and all the dsm specific head parts...more flow...bigger potential...it all makes more sense in the end.

Gir
08-07-2003, 11:09 AM
good points hipersilver. the fact is is that if you have a galant an 8g only, i am not speaking for 7g owners as i have no experience as a 7g owner, its gonna take money to make your car quick, substantially more money than it will take to make say a civic fast or an accord or something of that type. but even those cars arent meant to be fast. they are economy cars meant for comfortable point a to point b transportation. what you will be doing if you mod these cars if you want to admit it or not, is fixing up a car to be what its not. and also to spend thousands of dollars on a car to make it perform up to a stock a4's performance specs is downright sad/ridiculous. cause it wuold take a galant 4g64 owner alot of cash to outrun or outhandle me in my car and i paid only 13g's for a car that has thus far proven reliable. it just comes down to facing the facts and taking whats available to you. not trying to make something out of nothing. :wink:

Give my neighbor a year, and about a few thousand dollars, and he'll beat you without much problems...my cousin's new VW GTI could probably beat you.

plans

4g64/4g63 hybrid
eagle rods/je pistons
garrett GT30 or GT40 turbo
2g GST tranny
SAFC
i'm guessing around 650's or 750's for injectors
walboro 255
trying to convince him to get dsmlink or at least a pocketlogger

welded/knifed crank
ported and polished head
bronze valves
3way valve job
balance shafts removed
honed and hot tanked

All complements of a guy who defintily knwos what he is doing. Travis down at www.forcedinductionracing.com ('http://www.forcedinductionracing.com') Travis has a 9 second sentra to his list of accomplisments as well as several ongoing SR motor swaps and a times he's even done DSM work. So I'm pretty much going to call you out on that offer sometime in the future. Either myself or my neighbor would love to see that race go down.

mark1
08-07-2003, 01:07 PM
ummm call me out on what offer. i dont recall making an offer but maybe i did. and also a few thousand dollars=alot of cash to me. im sure you can make a galant fast if you spend the money, however, there are other cars that take less money and are easier to make fast. thats all i am saying. what i am saying is basically that the galant, no matter how much you want it to be is not a good platform to build a drag or race car with. its just not. neither is my car, but you dont see saying that it is either. there is a supercharger system for the 2.8v6 for audi that consistently runs in the mid to hi thirteens. but nevertheless, its not gonna make it a drag car champion. my car is too heavy for that to happen. thats fast streetable power to me. i dont care about driving or having a race car. i want a comfortable car taht is quick, handles well and is fun to drive. and for me, thats what i have. oh and as far as a gti beating me if its a vr6 im sure it can. basically same motor specs as mine, except the vr6 is packaged a little more narrowly (is this a word?) than the 2.8v6 in mine, and the car weighs like 400 less pounds. my only comments were that to make a 4g64 8g galant run fifteens it takes alot of money. bottom line, i dont care about 9 sec sentras or any of that sh*t. im not here to argue about dsm's cause i dont drive one and i dont know as much as you about them im sure, so there ya go. :wink:

HiperSilver
08-07-2003, 02:53 PM
2 of them exist!!!!, thats enough to prove a point its possible, but 2 out of how many dsm's are out there? And they both run high 11's, an 11.1 is a different story, thats like almost breaking 10's. GT30 is a whole different turbo. Thats bigger than a t3/t3, ball bearing to reduce spool up time.

HKS doesnt make 262's, 264's but i know what u mean.
As for those hp numbers. thats decent. We made 400 whp on fucked up rings, burning oil like a mofo. Stock bottom end. untouched head, except for 272's across. 50 trim, etc

sabzi5858
08-07-2003, 03:02 PM
thats high 11's

hey, i'm not arguing either way, i was just throwing in some facts.

HiperSilver
08-07-2003, 11:51 PM
yea i hear ya, Its just the fact that if someone ran a 11.1 on a 16g i would have heard about it.

seth98esT
08-07-2003, 11:57 PM
i ran a 10.9 on my 14b @ 55psi, no nos, no bull. i got a timeslip to prove it! :biggrin:

/me goes and finds some random timeslip on the net to edit...

escoson
08-07-2003, 11:59 PM
welcome. search these threads and customizing/performance threads...you'll find all you need to know...

welcome again! 8)

HeadAche
08-08-2003, 09:41 AM
i ran a 10.9 on my 14b @ 55psi, no nos, no bull. i got a timeslip to prove it! :biggrin:

/me goes and finds some random timeslip on the net to edit...

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif