PDA

View Full Version : are 19's really worth it?

Cali
08-29-2002, 12:44 AM
i know this question has been asked a thousand times, but really, are 19's really worth it? especially on a daily driver? i was leaning toward 19 x 7.5 in. racing harts but i im afraid that the tires wont last as long as 18's...what do u guys think?

pinoyesv6
08-29-2002, 12:48 AM
if you like em enough you'd get them. i mean you have to pay a premium for the good things in life. will they last as long as tires for 18's most likely no, your bound to geta flat or hit a bump somewhere but if your cautious and drive normally it should last long

TJC
08-29-2002, 01:40 AM
Actually, the bigger your tires are, the longer they should last. Why, b/c of the bigger circumference. It goes over minor imperfections on the road easier, the diameter is bigger so equal mileage actually means less rotations on a 19" tire versus an 18" therefore less wear and tear.

Reelax
08-29-2002, 01:55 AM
umm well 225/40zr18 and 225/35zr19 are very close in rolling circumference; but if gonna get 19's u shouldn't really b worrying about the longevity of ur tires as much as the safety of ur wheels. a bent 19 costs way more than a few months less treadwear...

TJC
08-29-2002, 02:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>umm well 225/40zr18 and 225/35zr19 are very close in rolling circumference; but if gonna get 19's u shouldn't really b worrying about the longevity of ur tires as much as the safety of ur wheels. Â*a bent 19 costs way more than a few months less treadwear...</div>

Hmmm, are you sure about that size. I know if you can get any size and be close to original size, there wouldn't be much of a difference. But I was under the impression with 19's, you would only be able to find 235 or 245 in 35 or 40 and it would be much bigger. That's why I made that comment b/c most tire manufacturers do not make that small a size in 19's.

And of course both you and Pinoy are right about very low profile tires being a real hazard to the wheels themselves. Just gotta be careful with that type of investment, hehe.

Cali
08-29-2002, 02:14 AM
how hard/easy would it be to damage your rim? i mean, would a decent pothole do or do i have to jump off a curb or sumthin? is the difference between a 35 profile and a 40 that much?

TJC
08-29-2002, 02:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cali)</div><div class='quotemain'>how hard/easy would it be to damage your rim? i mean, would a decent pothole do or do i have to jump off a curb or sumthin? is the difference between a 35 profile and a 40 that much?</div>

Lots of factors. If you live it pothole city, it's a really bad situation. Reelax has 6 wheels b/c of all the damage from potholes. And that's only b/c he fixed 3 of them or would have more, lol. As for the profile, it varies with the tire width you get. The profile rating is a percentage of the tire width so to figure the actual profile height you have to do some calculating. For example, a 225/40/18, the profile is 40% of 225mm. Go figure, lol. Anyway, that's how you calculate it and that's not all.

Depending on the wheel composition, some wheels are very soft and bend easily, some are more sturdy. Some wheels have a tighter pattern with more of the wheel filled out for more support and others have very few spokes with lot of open space so is lighter but possibly affecting the the potential risk a little more. You have to decide what's right for you.

Reelax
08-29-2002, 03:34 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>umm well 225/40zr18 and 225/35zr19 are very close in rolling circumference; but if gonna get 19's u shouldn't really b worrying about the longevity of ur tires as much as the safety of ur wheels. Â*a bent 19 costs way more than a few months less treadwear...</div>

Hmmm, are you sure about that size. I know if you can get any size and be close to original size, there wouldn't be much of a difference. But I was under the impression with 19's, you would only be able to find 235 or 245 in 35 or 40 and it would be much bigger. That's why I made that comment b/c most tire manufacturers do not make that small a size in 19's.

And of course both you and Pinoy are right about very low profile tires being a real hazard to the wheels themselves. Just gotta be careful with that type of investment, hehe.</div>

yeah some companies have come out w/ 225/35zr19 pretty recently... yoko prada II's and Nitto 555 are 2 examples. it's 20's that do not come narrower than 245 at the moment.

Reelax
08-29-2002, 03:39 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cali)</div><div class='quotemain'>how hard/easy would it be to damage your rim? i mean, would a decent pothole do or do i have to jump off a curb or sumthin? is the difference between a 35 profile and a 40 that much?</div>

Lots of factors. If you live it pothole city, it's a really bad situation. Reelax has 6 wheels b/c of all the damage from potholes. And that's only b/c he fixed 3 of them or would have more, lol.</div>

haha u foregot to mention that i drive like an ass! haha i almost bought more wheels till i found out you can get them fixed! im a dummy.

:bouncing:

RedGalant2k1
08-29-2002, 10:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cali)</div><div class='quotemain'>how hard/easy would it be to damage your rim? i mean, would a decent pothole do or do i have to jump off a curb or sumthin? is the difference between a 35 profile and a 40 that much?</div>

Lots of factors. If you live it pothole city, it's a really bad situation. Reelax has 6 wheels b/c of all the damage from potholes. And that's only b/c he fixed 3 of them or would have more, lol. As for the profile, it varies with the tire width you get. The profile rating is a percentage of the tire width so to figure the actual profile height you have to do some calculating. For example, a 225/40/18, the profile is 40% of 225mm. Go figure, lol. Anyway, that's how you calculate it and that's not all.

Depending on the wheel composition, some wheels are very soft and bend easily, some are more sturdy. Some wheels have a tighter pattern with more of the wheel filled out for more support and others have very few spokes with lot of open space so is lighter but possibly affecting the the potential risk a little more. You have to decide what's right for you.</div>

Or if you live anywhere in Michigan https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Cali, check out this ---------> http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html ('http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html')

It helps when choosing upsize wheel and tire sizes.

pinoyesv6
08-29-2002, 10:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cali)</div><div class='quotemain'>how hard/easy would it be to damage your rim? i mean, would a decent pothole do or do i have to jump off a curb or sumthin? is the difference between a 35 profile and a 40 that much?</div>

lets say that u keep the stock wheel and tire circumference/height. if you were to get 19's that would mean that the profile on your tires would be pretty low compared to lets say a 17 inch wheel or something. that lower profile would provide u with a lesser cushion of air. yea that cushion of air is like a safety net from damage. does that mean u can bent 19's easier than 17's. not necissarily. if you get some really nice strong 19's they shouldn't really bend that easy but nonetheless, i'd watch out where im driving, like i wouldn't purposely drive into a pothole or something...

Cali
08-29-2002, 06:12 PM
hmmm..thanks guys...i'll probably just stick with 18's to avoid the hassle...

a2ggalantondubs
08-29-2002, 10:20 PM
tha bigger tha rim tha better you like your car trust me

bstnsportsfan
08-29-2002, 11:33 PM
hmmm..thanks guys...i'll probably just stick with 18's to avoid the hassle...

Although, 19s will look great, i personally think it'd get expensive. If you get a flat, its going to be atleast $200 (and thats probably low), whatever it'd cost for a new 19" tire. Like someone said, I htink reelax, if you drive like an ass, its going to cost some money. I have stock and got a flat a few weeks ago when I was in Miami (about 2 hours from home), went to Sears, got two new tires, cost $120. I was thinking, if I have rims, 18s, it'd have cost atleast $300! I am broke college kid, I know I dont have the money for that. So inconclusion, if you have the moneu to go 19s, then go for it! They'll look great! Or if not, you can't go wrong with 18s, still big, just not big on the wallet!

Dave@SE
08-30-2002, 01:05 PM
"Are 19's really worth it??"

<span style='font-size:30pt;line-height:100%'> YES </span>

wheelsboutique
08-30-2002, 09:33 PM
225/40/18 AND 225/35/19 ARE THE SAME ROLLING CIRCUMFERENCE A TOTAL DIAM 25.087 ...AND 19" ARE 25.20 so there is no real difference and 19" tires have an awesome thread wear at least 300. Those tires will last a long time. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif So if you want to go with 19" go for it its an awesome look for your G-ride.19" tires will cost you about 150.00 each that not a bad price considering you'll pay that for 18's:roll: so I hope this makes your decision easier.

Tiller
08-31-2002, 04:15 PM
yeah, it all depends on the tires you get... hell you can get some 18" tires for $100, on the other hand some of them can run you up to and over $200...

and, ALL TIRES ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL... remember, you get what you pay for...!