PDA

View Full Version : 6,500 RPM on a I4

Prophet
06-11-2003, 12:36 AM
Okay here is the deal. I was always under the impression that redline for a I4 is 6,000. Well a couple of days ago and I totaly forgot to post this I actually hit 6,500. I thought the computer automatically shifts once you hit 6,000?

8ggalant
06-11-2003, 12:40 AM
i was wondering about this too...i took it to 6400....weird...

Reelax
06-11-2003, 12:49 AM
if you want to verify the rev limiter, rev to hit it in neutral (N). this is not too harmful for the car since the rev limiter should catch fuel cutoff b4 engine damage.

btw the V6 bounces off redline at around 6250rpm.

Prophet
06-11-2003, 11:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>if you want to verify the rev limiter, rev to hit it in neutral (N). Â*this is not too harmful for the car since the rev limiter should catch fuel cutoff b4 engine damage.

btw the V6 bounces off redline at around 6250rpm.</div>

So then when I hit 6,500 it was just a fluke and I could have had engine damage?

Fishboy55
06-11-2003, 11:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prophet)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>if you want to verify the rev limiter, rev to hit it in neutral (N). Â*this is not too harmful for the car since the rev limiter should catch fuel cutoff b4 engine damage.

So then when I hit 6,500 it was just a fluke and I could have had engine damage?</div>
Or your tach is miscalibrated.....

Prophet
06-11-2003, 11:34 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prophet)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>if you want to verify the rev limiter, rev to hit it in neutral (N). Â*this is not too harmful for the car since the rev limiter should catch fuel cutoff b4 engine damage.

So then when I hit 6,500 it was just a fluke and I could have had engine damage?</div>
Or your tach is miscalibrated.....</div>

Is there any way that I can check this at home or will I have to take it in to get checked. I want to avoid the dealership as much as possiable.

cdaw2001ES
06-13-2003, 01:24 PM
I bounce off 6700.
I idle at somwhere between 5 and 10 (my guess would be 760)
I really woudnt do this, unless you really have maintained you sheitz
Just in park, might want to pull the e-break -- incase your TC blows.
Just wot it.
With the I/O mods, it jumps up there very fast. Very loud, you can hear the limter cutting cyliders, dont do it too long, or you could have a case of detonation.

I think an ODBII data logger would give you a percise look

DJ Galant
06-14-2003, 06:24 AM
no way u did a damage at 6500 rpm bro. No stress.
Think anout it this way - normally u are limited to 5500 rpm but the engine raves actually till 8000.
The Mitsu came up with the redline so it is like the most restrictive thing so u will have this engine forever and ever.
Hondas engines are high reving because they use the most of what they possibly could use (max) while Mitsu uses the minimum.https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

cdaw2001ES
06-14-2003, 07:30 AM
OK- guess I'm like mitsu, on the cautious side.

Auto-9
06-14-2003, 10:59 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DJ Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>no way u did a damage at 6500 rpm bro. No stress.
Think anout it this way - normally u are limited to 5500 rpm but the engine raves actually till 8000.
The Mitsu came up with the redline so it is like the most restrictive thing so u will have this engine forever and ever.
Hondas engines are high reving because they use the most of what they possibly could use (max) while Mitsu uses the minimum.https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>

Yeah...plus with our non-variable valve timing SOHC engines we lose power above 5800 rpm anyway, there's no point in revving that high.