PDA

View Full Version : While Braking....

mitsgalantes01
08-05-2002, 11:37 AM
When i am driving down the highway or anywhere, and when I hit my brakes, my car shakes unbearingly bad, like the steering wheel shakes the most....Does anyone know what this could be or have the same problem. I only have 17,000 on my car, my brakes cant be bad yet can they?

Tazz2000
08-05-2002, 11:45 AM
Depends on the year. Mind is kinda doing that. I'm gonna tell them about it at my next oil change. :thumbsup:

mitsgalantes01
08-05-2002, 11:51 AM
Mines a 2001 ES V6.

GalantDoTd
08-05-2002, 11:59 AM
The Galants have a bad reputation for having warped rotors. I am told that's what causes the shaking.

Tazz2000
08-05-2002, 12:01 PM
I knew the 99's did, but I thought they had it all fixed by 01. Guess not completely

pinoyesv6
08-05-2002, 12:05 PM
When i am driving down the highway or anywhere, and when I hit my brakes, my car shakes unbearingly bad, like the steering wheel shakes the most....Does anyone know what this could be or have the same problem. I only have 17,000 on my car, my brakes cant be bad yet can they?

most likely its your rotorsd being warped. i started having mine at about 14k...but i heard of other getting thiers earlier

I knew the 99's did, but I thought they had it all fixed by 01. Guess not completely

warped rotors are a problem that almost all cars face. sometimes its because the rotors just suck, you use high peformance pads, or some things like overtorqueing your lugs can cause that to happen too...

mitsgalantes01
08-05-2002, 03:34 PM
so i need to new rotors already?? Does the warranty at the dealership cover that?

pinoyesv6
08-05-2002, 03:37 PM
so i need to new rotors already?? Does the warranty at the dealership cover that?

some places have free brake and safety inspections. uhm you might wanna get a couple of those and see what the mechanic will say. he might find something that we just can't see by your description .

as for warranty...sorry guy u just lucked out i think. i know brake rotors aren't included in the bumper to bumper and have their own warranty but i think its somewhere around 12-14k so u just missed it

99BabyBenz-aka Herb
08-05-2002, 06:47 PM
yeah its your rotors most likely, but on my99 V6 the dealer put new a-arms and cut my rotors that helped for a few months.

Nick VR4
08-06-2002, 03:24 AM
I would get your wheels checked for balance first
If you have alloys some tyre placed use crap weights that are stuck on
and these fall off and cause wheel wobble when braking

manybrews
08-06-2002, 07:19 AM
if it only shakes whislt braking, you have warped rotors.

quite common among all mitsus except the trucks.

Nick VR4
08-06-2002, 07:34 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>if it only shakes whislt braking, you have warped rotors.

quite common among all mitsus except the trucks.</div>

Lets all go buy a Mitsu truck lol

Sowndwayv
08-16-2002, 01:38 PM
i have just under 25,000 miles on my 01 Galant, and today i took it in for the second time since i got the car, first time being at around 3,000 miles i beleive, for the same problem. i am goin to get thh rotors resurfaced, but im afraid that its just gonna happen again. so im thinking bout buyin new rotors to replace the 2 front disk breaks. if it does have to do something with the lugs as mentioned above..will that problem still effect aftermarket rotors?

manybrews
08-16-2002, 03:19 PM
the problem is that a LOT of these places that repair these are NOT turning them correctly.
you must have them machined on the car, NOT removed and mounted on a seperate brake lathe.

yes, they do seem to be poor rotors, but turning them on the car really works wonders for the life of them.

that said, theyve always had front rotors that warp to easily. of course, its probably just a cost savings thing, as the bigger rotors (like the monsters on the 3000GT and the trucks) warp so rarely that i can hardly remember the last time one needed turning.

BlueESV6
08-17-2002, 08:40 PM
My Savannah dealership was good in that they turned the NEW rotors (dealer bought) on my car. Not that I understood why turning them on the car was better than on the lathe but anyway.... it fixed the vibrating for a longer period of time and the shaking was not as bad (when it did start back). My new crossdrilled have had no problems since getting rid of the stock...

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

RED2KESV6
08-30-2002, 01:47 PM

If this only happens on the highway, braking at high speeds, there is a TSB for this problem. The TSB says something about "brake judder" in its title. On the 4 cyl cars, they will replace the bushings on the lower control arms; on the V6, they have to replace the lower control arms themselves, because the bushings are integral with the control arms. You will also get a free front brake job. Take the mechanic out for a ride and show him the problem. I had this problem, and this repair cured it.

LatinGalant
08-30-2002, 02:19 PM
I see that so many galant owners have problems with there brakes before they even hit 20,000 miles. I think we need to file some sort of suit, it's not only dangerous but it's wearing other components on the car prematurley. I started having brake problems the second week of owning my 2002 ES I4 galant. E-mail me if you have ideas.

Auto-9
08-30-2002, 06:03 PM
I believe there is or was already a lawsuit pending...

Morphosis99es
08-30-2002, 06:13 PM
I got a 99 w/56k mls and had to have my rotors cut 4 times pads replaced twice, currently looking for drilled rotors & ebc green pads, replaced 1 inner tie rod a sh_t load of while balances & wheel alignments, maybe someone should look into this problem from a legal point of view :?:

peewee481
05-26-2003, 10:29 AM
i had the same problem which is worse in wet weather.Get your rotors cut.