PDA

View Full Version : RPW Throttle Bodies

Auto-9
08-29-2002, 05:13 PM
Around how much can one expect to pay for the 70mm throttle body upgrade or even the "six pack" throttle body modification? Think it's worth it for the price?

Black2k1GTZ
08-29-2002, 06:27 PM
The RPW 70mm throttle body is around $175 I beleive. Or you could check out these guys ('http://www.proflowdesign.com') for another option!!

As for the quad throttle body I wouldnt expect it to be under 2 grand. And it gives impressive gains...but its alot of work to install!!!!!!

Marc :mg:

TJC
08-29-2002, 06:34 PM
...As for the quad throttle body I wouldnt expect it to be under 2 grand. And it gives impressive gains...but its alot of work to install!!!!!!

With that TB, I think you'll want to also funnel the air from ontop of the hood. So hood scoop needed and custom filter and tight fit for air to go directly into the quad-TB. I'm not sure what you would do for the MAS though. Perhaps some electronics can take care of that or you'll need a custom MAS too...arrrrg!

pinoyesv6
08-29-2002, 06:45 PM
hey guys check this out 1 ('http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1014492&uid=635029&members=1') and read this ('http://www.eclipseforums.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55806&perpage=60&highlight=throttle%20body&pagenumber=1')

as for the whole MAS thing, a stand alone fuel management system should be able to take care of that. but yea, thats $$ a small price to pay for more hp

TJC
08-29-2002, 07:00 PM
That is just sick!!!!!

Black2k1GTZ
08-29-2002, 07:26 PM
Thats definatly sick!!!! What kind of power gains can he expect to see out of that setup?? I have never seen a multiple throttle body on a non-carborated engine before...I have seen it on alot of European cars...Vauxhall Nova's, Peugeot 205's etc. Can someone explain how it works...like what it does possible side effects etc. Also would thi sprevent you from running some form of forced induction???

pinoyesv6
08-29-2002, 07:42 PM
Thats definatly sick!!!! What kind of power gains can he expect to see out of that setup?? I have never seen a multiple throttle body on a non-carborated engine before...I have seen it on alot of European cars...Vauxhall Nova's, Peugeot 205's etc. Can someone explain how it works...like what it does possible side effects etc. Also would thi sprevent you from running some form of forced induction???

i can see sopmeone using this with forced induction possibly. but eya they were talking about seeing about 50% gains from this thing. thats like 300hp right there at the crank. i'd worry about getting a better way to plant the power to the ground b4 i go with some forced induction. but yea i can see it, i mean i seen some people just put like an airbox over the multiple throttle bodies, ran piping to the MAS and put a filter on, so i can't see why u can't replace that air filter with a turbo or blower with eventually an air filter at the end. but thats gonna lots of power. it will be a real waste if you can't plant it to the ground like i said b4

b-boy_sky
08-29-2002, 08:06 PM
I've been looking into this and reading about it because it's something that im considering doing. It does give you 40-50% more power. I think they built one for an excel and it went from a stock Hp of 87 to 150 and still needed to have some adjustments to it. They said that with a modified camshaft, exhaust, extractors and ported heads you could expect up to a 70% increase in horsepower......which is unbelievable. As far as electronics go you need to get a whole new ECU. They sell the Haltech E6K with the throttle body as a package for $2100. You can use a kind of forced induction with it from what it sounds like it won't be easy. As far as how hard it is to install I havn't asked about that yet. I havn't done any reading as far as how the V6 setup is.....but I can't imagine it being much different.

click here to see pics
Quad Throttle Bodies ('http://www.rpw.com.au/New%20Website/GeneralUpgrade/General/GU211.htm')

TJC
08-29-2002, 08:14 PM

It's starting to get more common now b/c of the sophistication in electronics able to bypass/replace the ECU to control everything. And as for FI, you probably would have to go to direct injection (wet system). It's better that way anyway, but no more cheap setups, lol.

And b-boy_sky, the Eclipse V6 setup was over $4k.

It's a really nice option for any NA for big gains along with a nice custom real ram air.

b-boy_sky
08-29-2002, 08:21 PM
yeah i know that.....they I4 is only $2100....

Auto-9
08-29-2002, 08:25 PM
Ah...so all this massive monster boost in air is doing for an all-motor setup what a turbo/blower does for FI cars eh...all this power is actually scaring me https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Kingman
08-29-2002, 08:47 PM
From vision imports its about 2200 for the v6. It is actually 6 throttle bodies and comes with the haltech.

You can expect 300hp or so from it, but it will take alot of work to install it correctly.

Their are currently 2 cars with it on and both are having tuning problems. One is on a stratus RT the other is on an 8th gen galant gtz. The guy with the RT keeps burning out his igniters.

You must also do enough research to figure out how to control your normal computer controls such as transmission shifting and gauges with the haltech.

They recomend you have headers and at least a 2.5 inch exhaust on the v6, if you are planning NOS this is a great setup for it.

Also if you plan correctly and build bottom up you stand a chance of seeing 12's.

Black2k1GTZ
08-29-2002, 09:14 PM
Also if you plan correctly and build bottom up you stand a chance of seeing 12's.

Thats what I like to hear...Im gonna talk to my guy at Area 51 and see if he can add that on with the stuff they are doing for me...that would be a nice combo...a 6pack throttle body...and a blower :darthgrin: maybe a little nitrous action :darthgrin:

Oh man im gonna make a mess...

Auto-9
08-29-2002, 11:04 PM
Any idea how we're going to get all those power to the ground with some degree of control? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

TJC
08-29-2002, 11:09 PM
At that level, the sophisticated electronics can actually be programmed to rev and shift at precise points you set......... autopilot! :wink:

pinoyesv6
08-29-2002, 11:38 PM
Any idea how we're going to get all those power to the ground with some degree of control? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

a nice custom wide body kit with some super fat tires on em wouldn't hurt hahaha

Kingman
08-30-2002, 06:34 AM
The 6 pack will hold up to 3 pounds of boost without breaking apart. If thats all you want to run go for it.

As for traction level 10 and some adjustment on you coilovers at the track.

Danger DANJ
08-30-2002, 12:07 PM
Can you say "Oh shit, there goes my tranny!?" Unless you bulletproof your tranny and upgrade the torque converter, I wouldn't bother doing that much work.

Kingman
09-02-2002, 11:35 AM
thats the fun of messing with these setups, if you brake it. Make it stronger.

Black2k1GTZ
09-02-2002, 03:29 PM
So with all this extra air coming in to the engine...similar to a forced induction setup...would it be neccesary to upgrade to larger than 2.5" exhaust piping???? Would 2.75 or 3" piping work better to handle the extra intake pressure??? Also would a true functional dual exhasut exhaust be of any benefit???

Kingman
09-02-2002, 03:56 PM
I am going to have the largest diameter I can get installed, but I am building a twin turbo kit for my car.

For this I would go with 3" probably no bigger unless you were throwing high compression pistons, bigger injectors and NOS.

Goose7791
09-02-2002, 05:14 PM
I liked that setup. But I have seen on MPH's website a turbo kit for the galant for 3500. This quad setup was damn near 4k. Would anyone rather have this NA setup or a turbo one?

pinoyesv6
09-02-2002, 05:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Black2k1GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>So with all this extra air coming in to the engine...similar to a forced induction setup...would it be neccesary to upgrade to larger than 2.5" exhaust piping???? Â*Would 2.75 or 3" piping work better to handle the extra intake pressure??? Â*Also would a Â*true functional dual exhasut exhaust be of any benefit???

Marc :mg:</div>

yea i'd get larger piping of a true dual. the only problem with the true dual is that it does add weight and u gotta plan it just right for the right sound. making sure its balanced, not raspy choosing the right muffler and sized piping

Kingman
09-02-2002, 07:47 PM
www.visionimports.com

The setup for 6 throttle bodies and the haltech e6k is $2300.

alot less than a turbo kit.