PDA

View Full Version : Side Markers!

Bonez
06-16-2003, 11:08 AM
Is there a tutorial on how to put these on?? I'm kind of scared to drill a hole in my car but i really want to put them on so i guess i'll do it. Oh by the way i want them to stay on when i have my lights on.

Dilemma
06-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Drilling is a must. i had to drill on my side fender and ran the wires to my turn signal so they blink as i turn and stay on constantly as i drive. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Fishboy55
06-16-2003, 12:33 PM
I don't know that anyone specifically made up a tutorial, but those of us that actually have sidemarkers can help you. It's actually different depending on what kind of side markers you get. I'm assuming you're doing surface mounts, which are a hell of a lot easier than flush mounts. First thing you should do is remove your front wheel. After that, remove the inner fender cover. It's the plastic piece and is held on by several screws and some push clips. Once you remove that, you'll expose the wiring channel that already has a wiring harness in it. You'll route your wires along that channel. It goes all the way up to under the hood.
You're going to have to drill a hole. Best thing to do is put a piece of masking tape on the fender to prevent the drill from walking, then drill a small pilot hole at high speed. Once you have that drilled, then you can drill the actual hole to route the wire through. Then pull the wires through the hole. route them along the channel and wire tie them until you get up near your headlights.
The best way to wire them is to your parking lights. You have three wires in that socket, one is constant voltage and is on whenever the lights are on. The other is pulsed voltage and is controlled by the flasher for your turn signals. The third wire is ground. Use a voltmeter to figure out which is which, because the colors will be different from one side of the car to the other.
Wire up the positive wire from the sidemarker to the parking light wire of your choice. Wire the ground wire to ground. Tape or shrink wrap your connection securely.
Test the sidemarker that you just wired up. Make sure it lights up the way you want (blinking or on solid). Then remove the 3m tape backing and put it in place where you want it on the fender. Dress your wires as necessary along the wiring channel. Put the inner fender cover back on and your wheel and you're done.
Repeat the process on the other side and you'll be set. It's really not hard as long as you get over the initial fear of drilling a hole in your car.

Hit me up with other questions.

MIKE99
06-16-2003, 12:53 PM
be careful where you drill there are harnesses behind both fenders. i found out the hard way

pinoyesv6
06-16-2003, 06:09 PM
here's some tips i've gotten from people who have custom sidemarkers install...

don't forget to paint the bare metal edges. have that bottle of touch up ready.

get a piece of carboard or something thats in the shape of the sidemarker and put it on your fender. this will help u make sure that the sidemarker is in the right place u want it

practice cutting the hole on a piece of carboard first and once u've mastered it, transfer the outline of the hole with the template u just make yourself.