PDA

View Full Version : throttle body

Funkdog
06-20-2003, 02:13 AM
Ok, I did a search, got a dumb question.

No idea about the V6 engine or any engine other than Aircooled VW's... where is the throttle body?? having idle problems and read alot about cleaning the throttle body, but can find an engine diagram anywhere...

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

pinoyesv6
06-20-2003, 02:17 AM
follow ur intake pipe all the way til u reach the part near teh firewall. that end of the intake pipe is clamped onto the throttle body.

Funkdog
06-20-2003, 02:22 AM
Ok, the only thing I can think of that I did before this stuff started happening was filled the car up with the low grade at the gas station, could this trigger these events??

I know it's a stretch, and manybrews didn't think the gas was a problem.... anyone else start having problems after getting crappy gas??

pinoyesv6
06-20-2003, 02:27 AM
seriously, i really think that you should take it to a mechanic like the ones at the dealer. you just bought the car used and it has lots of miles on it. you don't know what the previous owner has and hasn't done to the car really.

its kinda like tryna have kids with a gurl but not knowing that she was a man just a few months ago...

Funkdog
06-20-2003, 02:45 AM
Yeah, probably the best bet... think just a straight Mitsu dealer?

Funkdog
06-20-2003, 02:49 AM
btw, is the throttle body the thing that looks like springs? Best way I could describe it... cuz I found I left the rag I was using (pretty small) under the hood when I got done, and when I opened it up again it was back by there... maybe some cloth got caught up in there? Just checkin..

thanks

Funkdog
06-20-2003, 04:28 AM
thanks for the help guys, I bought some carb cleaner and sprayed just the butterfly springs pretty good, I'm guessing that some of the rag that my dumbazz left under the hood got caught in the return springs. She's idling perfectly now, and purring like a kitten.

thanks guys.

an off the hand question for texas guys, since it gets pretty hot here what density oil are you guys running, I'm gonna put some Synthetic in, any suggestions?

thanks again

Funkdog
06-20-2003, 08:34 AM
Ok that worked until I got off the freeway and had to stop, car shut off again. Idled in the driveway though, gonna have to clean the whole throttle body now and see if that helps.

Funkdog
06-20-2003, 09:19 AM
cleaned out the whole throttle body, now it's idling again, took it around the block and onto the onramp, then back to the house, no problems.... throttle body didn't look that dirty although there was some gunk on the walls, nice and shiny now... will post back after I go to work tonight and come home. Just keeping it up to date for future searches, bare with me.

thanks

Auto-9
06-20-2003, 10:58 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Funkdog)</div><div class='quotemain'>an off the hand question for texas guys, since it gets pretty hot here what density oil are you guys running, I'm gonna put some Synthetic in, any suggestions?

thanks again</div>

Well...I was told that you should use 10w30 rather than 5w30 during the hot summer months since motor oil supposedly becomes more fluid at higher temperatures. However, I have read from credible sources on how motor oil works that both 5w30 and 10w30 reach about the same level of viscocity at higher temperatures because of the 30, so it really doesn't matter. That's why Mobil 1 recommends 5w30 but 10w30 will do just fine; it's just supposedly a little harder for the car to get it circulating during the initial moments of cranking up a cold car. Hope I've helped.

Fishboy55
06-20-2003, 11:30 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Funkdog)</div><div class='quotemain'>cleaned out the whole throttle body, now it's idling again, took it around the block and onto the onramp, then back to the house, no problems.... throttle body didn't look that dirty although there was some gunk on the walls, nice and shiny now... will post back after I go to work tonight and come home. Â*Just keeping it up to date for future searches, bare with me.

thanks</div>

Make sure you open the butterfly and spray in there and wipe really well with that rag. Then spray again. I typically use a whole can of cleaner when I do my TB. Your car will be hard to start after you throw all that cleaner in there. Just let it idle till it burns out all the cleaner, then you should be fine.

Funkdog
06-20-2003, 08:14 PM
thanks guys, appreciate the help. good lookin out.

Funkdog
06-21-2003, 02:00 PM
Ok, cleaned throttle body, drove to and fro to work, put about 80 miles on it today, no problems.