PDA

View Full Version : White -G- Host's Intake?

dre24k
08-30-2002, 11:14 AM
What is needed specifically for the intake setup that white g host has on the pics for the RPW headers?

MitsuMan
08-30-2002, 11:38 AM
<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>7G CAI (Cold Air Intake) installation tutorial By: Kevin R. </span>

Warning: This installation is at your own risk. Me and/or members of GalantSpeed.com are not responsible for any problems that may occur.

Me and several other galant owners have found a way to fabricate a Cold Air Intake. There is no company out there that makes a CAI specifically for the 94-98 Galant. If you are starting from a stock setup, you will need to purchase a MAS adapter. You will need the following items for the CAI.

- MAS adapter - Short Ram intake (optional) - 92-2002 Short Ram Intake for a Civic/Integra - Intake Air Filter - 4"-3" PVC adapter - Flathead screwdriver - Clamp Rings - Nut Wrench

*Precautionary step*- Disconnect Battery and MAS plug.

Step 1- If you are starting from "Stock" you will need to remove everything that is connected before the MAS adapter. This consists of the factory air filter box, factory air filter piping, and factory air filter.

*Optional Step*- You can replace the stock rubber piping from the throttle body to the MAS unit with an aftermarket short ram intake. Weapon R, Arospeed, Ractive, Etc., make short ram intakes for 7G Galant.

Step 2- You will need to connect the MAS adapter to the unit. Make sure its tightly secure.

Step 3- Take the 4"-3" PVC adapter and connect the 4" side to the MAS adapter. Once its firmly secure, tighten the ring clamps.

Step 4- Take the Civic/Integra short ram intake and connect the intake air filter to the intake piping.

Step 5- You will have to move the battery to the left as far as you can in order to have the CAI extension to fit. Disconnect the battery and take it from the battery tray.

Step 6- Remove the factory battery tray.

Step 7- You will have to find an alternative place to have the battery tie downs placed. I drilled 2 holes for the tie-downs to be placed.

Step 8- Install the Civic/Integra intake to the 3" part of the PVC adapter. Be sure that the connector hose on the intake hosing is firmly secure. You will need to have it on so it will have a firm and secure fit.

Step 9- Tighten the clamp ring on the 3" end of the PVC adapter.

Step 10- At this point, you will need a find a place to secure the CAI. If you don't find a way to support the CAI (especially the extension part) you have a high risk of the intake possibly coming off while driving.

Step 11- Place the battery back and make sure its tied down firmly and connect battery and connect MAS plug.

Step 12- Tighten all the ring clamps.

Step 13- Start your motor and inspect all areas of the CAI. At this point you want to make one last attempt to tighten and secure the CAI.

Step 14- Take a test drive....FLOOR the car....and hear the CAI and feel the power.
http://www.galantspeed.com/caiart/caiart.jpg
http://www.galantspeed.com/caiart/caiart2.jpg

seth98esT
08-30-2002, 12:21 PM
Yep, thats what I did, and it helps a lot! Well not really "A LOT" but there are some performance increases

dre24k
08-30-2002, 01:12 PM
what does the two breather filters do?

there is one breather filter on the side of the valve cover and another connected to the intake pipe

arent those like illegal for emission testing? why? why are they important or not so important?

QnzMostWanted
08-30-2002, 01:38 PM
they not illegal as far as i know, the one on the CAI pipe is there cuz there is an opening there, so he just put a filter, the one on the valve cover is there cuz he eliminated the hose from the OEM piping tot he valve cover, so the filter is there just to filter the air entering the valve cover, u dont have to do that, u can always plug off the part on the CAI, and u can leave the original hose to the valve cover as well

Jesse
08-30-2002, 01:39 PM
important, no, necessary yes. You can't just close them off, you need to let the air out of the valve cover, the pressurized air goes back into the air intake for re-cirrulation. It's put into the intake so that it's emissions safe. If you don't have emissions laws, then you don't have to worry about it, I have no law, so I don't worry about it.

The breather filter just allows it to go into the air and not get recycled into the intake system. The hole on the intake can be plugged. There is also another one on the other side of the valve cover, the PVC, that goes into the intake manifold. You can plug up the part in the intake manifold and put a breather filter where teh PVC goes, that's what I did. No gains or losses, just for lookes and reduces some hoses.

packer13
12-20-2002, 01:55 AM
is this the best way to go for a, cold air intake. because i want to put one in my car so bad, but don't know what to go with :?: can some check out www.importstudio.com. there is a intake there for a 7g but i think it might be to big,,,,,,any help would be great......thanks

95 galant S[/i]

BEAST
12-20-2002, 03:24 AM
I have the Weapon-R short ram intake. Just today I made it a true ram intake by improving the CAI system that I already had. First I just had a dryer hose vent running up to the side of my intake so that I could get some cold air up in there. Hey that rhymes :wink: . Today I decided on making it a little better.

On the Weapon-R air filters there is a lip on the front of the filter that is made for a modification just like this. A 4" dryer hose fits perfectly on it so that you can fasion your own CAI/Ram Air intake. So since I already had the dryer hose coming up from a air dam in my front bumper. I made it shorter by cutting it, moving my battery over, and connecting the other end to the end of the filter. Presto your own ghetto CAI/Ram Air Intake.

packer13
12-20-2002, 05:08 AM
so, the weapon R, is that the one with just the air filter that connects to the MAS? i think i seen that. the hose go's right where the fog lights are, right. is that way better than MitsuMan's way....just looking for the best way to do. I would like to do it right the first time and leave it alone,,,ya know

DID any check out the web site yet? :lol:

BEAST
12-20-2002, 08:21 AM
I have seen it before and what I have is the Weapon-R hyper intake. I believe that is the full name. With either Weapon-R setup you get a filter, MAS adaptor and tube that goes from the TB to the MAS. The only difference between the Hyper intake and Dragon intake is the filters. The Dragon is the newer model. You will not be able to do the mod I did with the Dragon filter. Personally if it were me I would just get the Dragon intake since they are the same price. I would want the new Dragon intake because they look better and perform better. That is if you wanted to go the Weapon-R way though. I got mine through a local speed shop for the same price though.

BEAST
12-20-2002, 08:54 AM
Go Weapon-R if you are lookin to spend some bucks. The adaptor and filter is a great way to go though for just startin. From there you can later get the parts you need to make you CAI.

IllestGalant
12-21-2002, 10:47 PM
Your better off leaving the breathers with the tubes on the intake and
cam cover... why you ask.... well that's a good question. the pvc is positive crankase ventilation and lets all the crankcase vapors out of
the engine and helps prevent oil leaks. The tube going from the side of the cam cover into the intake is not just a breather, it is a way for the
vacumn caused by the intake manifold to suck out the vapors in the
cam cover. putting a breather on it will vent it, but not have a scavenging effect. May not cause harm, but it definitely won't help.