PDA

View Full Version : cluck/clunk sound - solved

Auto-9
06-22-2003, 07:07 PM
When Kevin (my neighbor) accelerates during the initial 1-2 seconds he can hear and feel a rapid succession of about 2-3 cluck/clunking sounds from what he thinks is the passenger front. He can actually feel it through the gas pedal, even with shoes on. If he has the wheels turned either left or right sometimes but not always it will go "cluck cluck cluck cluck" as he accelerates. Is this suspension related or drivetrain? Might have to end up getting someone to take a look at it. We've noticed though that when we push down on the passenger front the car will make a "crunk" sound, though we doubt that would have anything to do with this problem. Driver side makes no sounds.

TWISTED II
06-22-2003, 10:36 PM
what kinda car is it? is it FWD or RWD? my buddies truck does that, but only cuz its lowered so much, the axel isn't sitting straight and is making some clunking noises. normal it would look like this |---| but since its lowered, it looks like this |v| well, not really, but you get what i'm saying, lol.

Auto-9
06-23-2003, 12:23 AM
It's obviously an 8g Galant https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif I posted in this forum https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif I guess his lowering is starting to finally take a toll on the car?

TWISTED II
06-23-2003, 02:14 AM
yeah yeah, good call, lol. block full of 8g's huh? haha. it might be the lowering. but we have some pretty slammed 8G's here, and i don't recal hearing about anyone else having problems. did it just start happening out of nowhere or recently after doing work? how modified is his car?

Auto-9
06-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Nah our entire street only has 3 Galants, 1 7g and 2 8gs and I only help out 1, who is Kevin. His dad bought it for him...entire family owns Mitsu cars https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif We think it might be the wheel lugs not being tightening enough. Remember last week he just had the passenger front strut serviced for sitting incorrectly. We'll know when we get a chance to tighten it up. I haven't driven his car yet, but I know what the loose nut feels and sounds like, cause I've driven on 4 lugs before.

Auto-9
06-25-2003, 11:58 AM
Solved...we think. Turns out that his CV joint is giving out on him, or at least that's what the dealership says.

99TBP-ES
06-25-2003, 04:42 PM
Dealership is right. This it what it sounds like to me. The price you pay for having a lowered car, CV joints wear out faster. I went through 4 cv axles when I had my 98 civic(It was lowered 3.5 inches in front and 3.25 inches in the back) If he is still lowered the new one will still wear out but how long no one knows. (that is why autozones lifetime warranty was my friend) I paid for the firs taxle and then everyone after that was free replacement(even the two that I snapped at the track doing a 6K rpm clutch drop)

Auto-9
06-27-2003, 04:53 PM
Incompetent dealerships...they always move right along to the most expensive part they can find. Well at least now he has a new CV joint. The noise came back today, so we took it to Goodyear... the real problem is the upper spring seat is dead, which is causing the noise. Goodyear said they started diagnosis with wheel, brakes, suspension, then move onto transmission. Dealership techs could learn a thing or two.