PDA

View Full Version : Weapon R Intake

matrix8228
06-22-2003, 09:36 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2420654287 ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=2420654287')

What do you guys think about this? Is it worth the money? I really havent heard much about weapon R intakes. I mostly hear about injen or aem. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Alan
Miami, Fl

pinoyesv6
06-22-2003, 09:43 PM
not worth it. the weapon-r is still using the old skool design. which has a fwe problems. uhm you can get an aem short ram with a better filter, better design for almost half that price

Lazarus
06-22-2003, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure What to tell you man Weapon R kinda has a neutral reputation. not Great but not terrible either. But for another $30 you can get teh Injen Polished intake at Ptuning. or Maybe an AEM one also

Black Magic
06-22-2003, 09:52 PM
check this place out real good prices on AEM intakes.
http://www.gofast4less.com/home_page.asp ('http://www.gofast4less.com/home_page.asp')

matrix8228
06-22-2003, 09:53 PM
Yo pinoy where can i get an aem short ram for that cheap?

Alan
Miami, Fl

Prophet
06-22-2003, 09:57 PM
Yo pinoy where can i get an aem short ram for that cheap?

Alan
Miami, Fl

Try hear but make sure you get the right part number.

http://www.adventon.com/ ('http://www.adventon.com/')

nrgizeman
06-22-2003, 10:00 PM
go to yahoo stores and search for aem eclipse 00 intake. you should find one or two for $120 or so.

Angelina264
06-22-2003, 10:19 PM
Hi! I'm also looking for an intake for my 8G. I've heard that a cold air intake isn't all that great if you live in FL. Since it rains so much down here, water can get in the intake and screw up you entire engine. Unless you plan on getting some kind of shield to protect it from water getting in it. just thought I'd let you know.
-Angelina264

Prophet
06-22-2003, 10:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angelina264)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hi! I'm also looking for an intake for my 8G. I've heard that a cold air intake isn't all that great if you live in FL. Since it rains so much down here, water can get in the intake and screw up you entire engine. Unless you plan on getting some kind of shield to protect it from water getting in it. just thought I'd let you know.
-Angelina264</div>

Water is always a problem but if you get a bypass valve you should be fine.

All I got to say about Weapon R is they.................
<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:30pt;line-height:100%'>SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</span></span>

I will never support them and will never carry them. :twisted:

pinoyesv6
06-22-2003, 10:32 PM
adventon has the aem short ram for 110. but you have to look under the 2000+ eclipse.

but back to the weapon-r intake. to elaborate on why people say it sucks.

the pipe. well the pipe is the main reason why it sucks. its still using the old school design which rubs the intake pipe on the bolt for the battery tie down. over time it will wear thru the pipe and you will have a hole. thats bad. you can cover the bolt with like silicon hose or something to protect things from rubbing down if you'd like.

the filter is another thing. its a foam filter. yea foam has some really good filtering qualities but over time the foam can break down and get sucked into your intake. and thats bad. and for the money you are paying for teh weapon-r, you can get a better intake.

matrix8228
06-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Water is always a problem but if you get a bypass valve you should be fine.[quote]

What exacty is a bypass valve?

Alan
Miami, Fl

Prophet
06-22-2003, 10:56 PM
Water is always a problem but if you get a bypass valve you should be fine.

What exacty is a bypass valve?

Alan
Miami, Fl

Taken from the AEM site:

Question
When to use the AEM Bypass Valve?

Answer
The AEM Bypass Valve is used to protect the engine from hydro locking. Hydro locking occurs when the end of the inlet pipe is submerged in water and the water is sucked into the engine. Driving the vehicle in rainy conditions is not enough to cause a problem unless the vehicle becomes submerged enough that the inlet end of the pipe is immersed in water. Rain impingement on the filter will not cause a hydro lock condition. The distance of the filter from the road dictates the level of water that can cause damage. This distance varies with the vehicle ride height which is why there are no published numbers for this measurement.

All AEM Cold Air Intakes are to be used with the splash shield that is originally installed on the vehicle for protection and performance. The removal of splash shields actually deteriorates performance by allowing hot pavement air in the vicinity of the filter and negates any positive pressure created in the air filter area when the vehicle is in motion.

There are some instances where there is not enough room around the inlet pipe for adequate clearance of the Bypass Valve. In these cases a Short Ram system is offered or will be offered in the near future..

Prophet
06-22-2003, 10:57 PM
Also I forgot to move this to performance.

Lazarus
06-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Hi! I'm also looking for an intake for my 8G. I've heard that a cold air intake isn't all that great if you live in FL. Since it rains so much down here, water can get in the intake and screw up you entire engine. Unless you plan on getting some kind of shield to protect it from water getting in it. just thought I'd let you know.
-Angelina264

You can manage with the CAI in FLorida. if you get teh AEM Intake with the bypass valve, or you can even get teh Injen without. Chances are the water will have evaporated by the time it hits the throttle body I went with my CAI and my shogun kit and the filter sar tight behind the fog light hole so when I was driving and it was raining it channeled the water right onto the filter. and I never had any problems. and I didn't have a Bypass Valve

HeadAche
06-23-2003, 04:06 PM
I like my weapon-R, never really like the whole metal filter idea, the foam is way better, and cleaning is much easier.. I "had" and AEM CAI, but motor blew and its shot to hell..

cruznnus
06-23-2003, 04:08 PM
Yes do not purchase the weapon r intake, before I found this site I bought one, I have a hole on the bottom and lucky for me I caught the one by the battery tiedown. As far as the foam filter I have had it for over a yr and had no problems just use(preventive maintenance) the cleaning kit they have. My next intake will be the Injen RD series.