PDA

View Full Version : High Temp Paint on Headers

clone2020
06-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Has anyone painted their headers with High-Temp paint?

chronic69
06-23-2003, 01:48 AM
Not on my G, but yeah, and if you use Header Paint you're okay for about a year, then you have to repaint.

Fishboy55
06-23-2003, 06:09 AM
Yea I painted mine with Hi-Temp engine paint. If you have a 4 banger it's a piece of cake. The V6 is a little tougher. The problem is overspray. The idea of spraying paint into a cup is not a good idea, though some people swear by it. However, my paint guy at the body shop and his boss both agree that this ruins the integrity of the paint as some of the important agents are lost when the spray-formulated paint is confined to a small area and brushed on. The formula of touch up paint in the bottle, for example is completely different than the formula that's sprayed on.

There are high-temp brush on paints, but you have to go to a reputable speed shop or a paint store with a good specialty section to find it. The colors are limited to black or white in the brush on, at least that's all I've seen. Of course in the spray, you can go anyplace as far as color. Just cover everything as best you can. I'm a sloppy painter, so I went with the brush on method.

clone2020
06-23-2003, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I painted my brakes using the "spray in cup & brush-on" method and it seems to work very well so far.

I guess I'm wondering how long 1500 degree ceramic paint will last on the headers and if I should brush it on or spray it on.

HeadAche
06-23-2003, 04:08 PM
Hey chip did you use 500 degree paint or 1200 degree?