PDA

View Full Version : Help W/ Turbo Set-Up

My99GTZ
06-25-2003, 09:47 PM
Okay I'm new to this whole boost thing, and I saw the 20G for sale in our forum.... now I'm wondering if I bought this 20g for my 99GTZ what else would I need to run this setup, and how much $$ we talking....

DJ Galant
06-26-2003, 02:42 AM
I am writing this for u, but i will paste it in my turbo faq also so people can read it. I am turboed so I can tell u straight up- turbo will take time and lots of money to get u running good. But since u decided to go turbo, well then deal with the fact and think of the turbo essantials.
To make it run properley since u bought the actual turbo u will need an exhaust manifold ( also called a heather).

Did u do any kind of reasearch on that turbo before u actually bought it?
I mean, I hope u did bro , but rember the rules - bigger turbo is not always better.

In your case ,assuming u have a GTZ hence it is 6g72 v6 powerplant, u will need custom manifold. Now u have 2 manifolds since it is a v6, right?
Well, your best bet will be going twin turbo, each on the manifold, but you can make it work on just one turbo but that sounds like a lot of work bro. Anywayz, figure out what kind of intercooler and pipngs u want to go for. Speaking of pipngs, don't forget about the BOV (blow off valvue) and its location.
Then u need to decide whether on not u want to rebuild your motor with some forged low compression pistons in there and maybe change your connecting rods for some good ones(highy recommended).

Figure out the downpipe - and bigger exhaust is a must bro. There is going to be much more exhasut gases going thru - and u don't want to have a lot of back pressure.
If you think turbo u need to think about the fuel system. Remeber that in order to make more power ( more air comming into cylinders) you will need more fuel to burn with it. IT works for any form of form induction.
You will need set of bigger injectors, fuel pump , fmu pr fpr, and some kind of fuel and timing contoler. Do a research on that one. Don't try to save money here cuz u will regret it. More power =more fuel , don't u forget that.

SAFC on the v6 as far as i am conserned will not work smooth for some reason. Anywayz do your research and u will figure that out.

Last think that i can think of is some kind of boost controler ( your external wastgate with proper spring, if u decicde to buy one =higly recomended, might to a great job here so u don't have to buy a boost contoler). On the gauges don't be cheap - they are like your watchgards - they will tell u what is going on with your car - get a must boost gauge , and i wanna say a must too an Exhasut Gas Temparature gauge (know as EGT gauge) since your car was NA before.

Good luck bro.

HeadAche
06-26-2003, 10:00 AM
I say run an 18g, you will get faster spool with your V6 motor.. The 20g will have so much lag right off the bat it will be crazy.. I tested fitted a 20g right before i lost the motor and the lag was crazy i had to spray just for the damn thing to spool, and this is on a 50-shot..

and like DJ said, do your reasearch, just do go buying parts and have no idea what they do..

Kwiksix
06-26-2003, 07:19 PM
You have to get a turbo that matches your engines characteristics.
My v-6 has been turbo'd for a while now with a mitsubishi tdo6 17c and a little over 300 hp to my wheels.
Honestly your best bet is to get a kit!!! You can get a base line kit from xtecheng.com for about $1750 right now. I believe they are using a t3/t4 turbo.

8ggalant
06-26-2003, 09:36 PM
hey kwiksix u got picks...my friend has a six n he's thinkin about turboin...

Lazarus
06-26-2003, 09:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kwiksix)</div><div class='quotemain'>You have to get a turbo that matches your engines characteristics.
My v-6 has been turbo'd for a while now with a mitsubishi tdo6 17c and a little over 300 hp to my wheels.
Honestly your best bet is to get a kit!!! You can get a base line kit from xtecheng.com for about $1750 right now. I believe they are using a t3/t4 turbo.</div>

I know about the exaust but since when were you turbo'd I could have swore you were SClassed.

bam462
06-27-2003, 12:33 AM
hey i found a site that sells 18g kits for 3250 i have a i4 AT will this work well on my car or will there be to much lag or can i get this and nos it to deal with lag or should i go with 18g or sds

8ggalant
06-27-2003, 01:08 AM
theres kits for the same price that use 16g or t3/t4....18g will be too lagy...hell there laggy on turbo eclipse(well morelaggy than 16gs and stock 14/13b's and t25s)...or u can build yer own kit for the same price....or less :twisted: ...i prefer turbo over sc tho