PDA

View Full Version : CAI and water:

KNJGalant2002
06-27-2003, 12:59 AM
Hi,

I tried doing a search but didn't find anything on this question. So if it's been talked about I'm sorry but I looked through 7 pages of posts. The other day it was pouring with really bad puddles and I was wondering how submerged in water does my car need to be with my cai before I ruin my engine? I have the bypass valve but from reading a previous post it only works if your car is submerged completly in water. Should I be worried about getting water in my engine? I was just wondering if this has happened to anybody before :?:

Thanks,
Kristy

Prophet
06-27-2003, 01:05 AM
If you have a bypass valve I wouldn't worry at all about water getting in the engine. Your air intake has to be all the way or at least 75% submerged for even a chance of water getting in. But like I said if you have the bypass vavle and you start sucking in water the valve will release the water before it even goes into the engine.

KNJGalant2002
06-27-2003, 01:11 AM
So then I shouldn't be worried unless I decided to take my car for a swim? :wink:

but thanks I wasn't really sure how sensitive the cai was. I have heard people saying be careful or you could have no engine when your done.

-Kristy-

Khopari
06-27-2003, 08:16 AM
yea dont worry about it,, looks like u be Aight,, i see u do have Bypass Valve,, if i am not mistaking AEM says its 100% Water Proof...

pinoyesv6
06-27-2003, 10:19 AM
water can still get up to your engine even with the bypass valve. but it isn't sudden. the bypass valve will only work if there is a vacuum in the intake caused by the filter being submerged in water. if you are driving thru like a heavy rainstorm water can slowly trickle up it way the intake pipe. but its gonna take a while for enough water to accumulate up there.

Supernova
06-27-2003, 12:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>water can still get up to your engine even with the bypass valve. but it isn't sudden. the bypass valve will only work if there is a vacuum in the intake caused by the filter being submerged in water. if you are driving thru like a heavy rainstorm water can slowly trickle up it way the intake pipe. but its gonna take a while for enough water to accumulate up there.</div>

This is exactally why I don't have mine in CAI form.... short ram for me. :wink:

Fishboy55
06-27-2003, 06:36 PM
Yea Jason, Allan is completely right. A bypass valve won't even open unless your filter is completly submerged. That's the way it was designed to work. So heavy rains and deep puddles will get water into your intake. And since it's sucking many hundreds of cubic feet of air, a few drops of water can get pulled in pretty easy. Luckily most of them evaporate from the heat of the intake pipe itself.

When I removed my CAI and went back to short ram, the intake had water spots on the inside near the TB. And that's one reason I was glad that I went back to Short ram.

Prophet
06-29-2003, 04:21 PM
So you get a couple of drops in the engine. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Is there really a real resone to have a bypass then. I would find it hard to submerged my CAI even with the car lower. So you better off converting it into short ram then?

pinoyesv6
06-29-2003, 04:43 PM
Is there really a real resone to have a bypass then.

yea kinda. i mean i know the area where my parents live the rods flood alot and i love driving through flooded roads. and yea if ur area is like that and u have a cai and would like to keep it one, you might want to have it.

or if you live up north and have a cai. another thing you might want to worry about is snow. snow can pack around the filter and it would be like a pastic bag over the filter. so you can kinda choke your motor.

but yea i love driving thru deep snow and flooded roads so i stuck with a short ram intead of converting to a cai. but those are two reasons why u might want one.