PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain this too me?

Alister_McRae
06-27-2003, 04:21 AM
Why are turbo's illegal when taking it in for emissions? I know i live in az and its less strict than cali, but i mean, i see highway trucks that put off more emissions than a damn airplane. But yet the state would crawl up my ass if i went turbo or SDS? Why? Has anyone had any problems yet with emissions?

DJ Galant
06-27-2003, 05:44 AM
the solution to your problem would be - FIND SOMEBODY WHO DOES SMOKE TEST AND PAY HIM ON THE SIDE SOME MON EY.
THink of it this way. The only way to get out of it.
The reson is OBd2. THey came up with that shit in 1994, and put in on all us amde cars in 1996. THe emission system must have meeet state or federal requirments. I was about be G-2 certified but i overslept so I know the basis. If your car was NA aspirated, it was meant to be pollute certain pollution x for their engine size. That is why 2.4 liters have very restrictive header and exhaust with 2 big cat. convert. In other words the 2.4 L it had to pass ceratiain amount of pollution for their class. Now both SC and Turbo cars polute a lot more than NA cars. They are running rich, therfore they are producing high emissions (sometimes visable black smoke but more than likely it is rich mixture entering the combustion chamber).
There isn't any that i know of legal turbo kits. All of them will not pass smog laws.
So if u put one on - emission station will do the test and guess what - u will fail. The reason for that is above. Your car was strict to certain amount of pollution, and now with Turbo or SC u have way more than what the requirments said.
If u have a turb o larger, more flowing exhaust is a must. Cats are not welcomed. So how u gonna pass the smog test then? Pay the home at smog test station. ONnly way to get it out.

99TBP-ES
06-27-2003, 11:38 AM
Well actually the main reason that turbo's cannot pass emmissions is cause the catalytic convertor does not get hot enough to light off hydrocarbons. Since the turbo is so close to the engine, it abosrbs all the heat that would normally go to the Cat(also allot of the heat is transfered to the oil since turbos are oil cooled, and to the cooler air that is being sucked in). This is why turbos are not street legal, cause of the Cat(s) not being able to heat up enough.

If you look at cars with stock turbos, you will notice that the Catalytic convertor is REAL close to the turbo so that way it can absorb as much heat as possible.

99TBP-ES
06-27-2003, 11:42 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DJ Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>
There isn't any that i know of legal turbo kits. All of them will not pass smog laws.
So if u put one on - emission station will do the test and guess what - u will fail. The reason for that is above. Your car was strict to certain amount of pollution, and now with Turbo or SC u have way more than what the requirments said.
If u have a turb o larger, more flowing exhaust is a must. Cats are not welcomed. So how u gonna pass the smog test then? Pay the home at smog test station. ONnly way to get it out.</div>

Well not for Galants there are no legal ones, but there are some after market companies that mke smog legal kits for certain cars.

As for passing emmissions, it is still possible with a turbo(you just have to be VERY careful) Basically what you have to do is lean out the air/fuel mixture to just under the point of detonation. What this will do is have less acutal fuel passing through to the exhaust, and create more heat so that Cat can warm up and start working properly. The only reason that this is dangerous is if you lean out too much the enigne will go boom.

Ryostyle
06-27-2003, 12:49 PM
I just can't see paying 4500 at least to put a turbo or sc setup on my car. and then turn around and fail emmissions and not be able to do my registration here in cali. I feel like everytime I say this, people are like "what are you crazy or somethin?". Do engine swaps come under the same scrutiny?

99TBP-ES
06-27-2003, 02:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ryostyle)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just can't see paying 4500 at least to put a turbo or sc setup on my car. and then turn around and fail emmissions and not be able to do my registration here in cali. I feel like everytime I say this, people are like "what are you crazy or somethin?". Do engine swaps come under the same scrutiny?</div>

With engine swaps there is secial cases. If you are 96+ vehicle then you are OBDII(2001+ are OBDIII for most vehicles) OBDII rules state that the engine being swapped in MUST be from the same yr as the car or newer. I believe in Cali in order to pass visual inspection the engine must be USDM.

So lets say you got a 99 Galant I4 and you wanted to drop the V6 into it. The V6 would have to be a 99or up V6 motor in order to be legal. If you are worried about emmissions, the V6 will still be within tolerances(or I should say should be) of the I4(it might be on the high side but should be fine)

bam462
06-27-2003, 11:02 PM
ok so you either pay the fucker, dont put turbo or sds in or you can run it lean. wow those are sum great fkin opts :evil: my question is if you go with the lean fuel mix opt then how would you set it just to the point not detinating? also what if you go with a smaller turbo like smaller then a 16g would this make a diff and just run nos to make up the differance in h.p. loss

Alister_McRae
06-28-2003, 01:54 AM
How about just relocating your Cat, since thats seems to be the problem, couldnt you just move it closer to the turbo or would that not be possible?

bam462
06-28-2003, 02:45 AM
or how bout this get a eclipse turbo engine or evo engine of the same year drop it in can you pass emmitions with that im just askin cause i wanna do this but dont wanna fail emmitions and not be able to drive it maybe i should buy a vr4 and fix it up i seen a artical in turbo mag that got one of them over 435 hp total sleeper that can hang with the big boys

99TBP-ES
06-29-2003, 02:38 PM
ok so you either pay the fucker, dont put turbo or sds in or you can run it lean. wow those are sum great fkin opts :evil: my question is if you go with the lean fuel mix opt then how would you set it just to the point not detinating? also what if you go with a smaller turbo like smaller then a 16g would this make a diff and just run nos to make up the differance in h.p. loss

You will have to get onthe Dyno to do it. They can hook up a wideband O2 to your car and be able to red optimal fuel efficiency. With Nitrous, you ahve to run more fuel either way since you are adding more O2. So either way you will have more fuel in the mix which in turn means more pollution.

How about just relocating your Cat, since thats seems to be the problem, couldnt you just move it closer to the turbo or would that not be possible?

Well you could, but you will have to get a different cat cuase you need one that is going to be the right sizea nd be made to fit in the area close to the turbo.

or how bout this get a eclipse turbo engine or evo engine of the same year drop it in can you pass emmitions with that im just askin cause i wanna do this but dont wanna fail emmitions and not be able to drive it maybe i should buy a vr4 and fix it up i seen a artical in turbo mag that got one of them over 435 hp total sleeper that can hang with the big boys

Well that is always a possiblity, but you have to also take into acct power to weight ratio. The turbo eclipse motor would make the Galant faster, but us 8g people don't have an option like that(well I do since mine is a 99) but others dont. With the VR4 motor in the Galant, I don't think it would pass #1 emmissions, nor visual in Cali since I *think* that theyonly offered that in JDM land if I am correct.

VegasMatt
06-29-2003, 03:13 PM
Martin, PM me where you go for a smog, since I will need to get smogged also. I like smog friendly places!!