PDA

View Full Version : Retart Timing?

CRH-1
08-31-2002, 06:20 PM
Lets Say we have to retart our timing on our 8g cause we're running nitrous, what would be the best way to do so? Has any1 here retarted their timing at all?

Black2k1GTZ
08-31-2002, 06:30 PM
You need something like an AEM Cam gear.

Marc :mg:

CRH-1
08-31-2002, 06:42 PM
So Black2k1 would you reccomend AEM cam gear, Would it be the best way to go than any other product?

toc8g
08-31-2002, 09:36 PM
Well,..as far as I know their is the Ignition timing and the cam timing. You can manualy control the cam timing via a adj. cam gear. The Ignition timing is controled by the ecu. I have a AEM cam gear, I had it on my 2000 ES I-4,...I had it advanced 6 degrees but really didn't see any big gains with a oem cam shaft. I kept it on the OEM setting 99% of the time.
As soon as I get a aftermarket Cam Shaft from RPW I will then install my AEM cam gear as well. The only way you can properly tune the cam gear to pull the max power out of your cam shaft is with a dyno.

Tiller
08-31-2002, 10:58 PM
i think you want to retard the ignition timing... a cam gear isn't going to do what you want it to do...

I'm not too familiar with the Mitsus yet, so i couldn't give you the best advice, but you should be able to retard your timing via your distributor, using a timing light...

ideally you shouldn't have to retard the timing at all.. .you should just make sure you are getting enough fuel into your mixture so that you don't have to resort to retarding the timing...

CRH-1
09-01-2002, 01:09 AM
I can always count on my fellow members for advice, Thanks guys.

toc8g
09-01-2002, 03:44 AM
i think you want to retard the ignition timing... a cam gear isn't going to do what you want it to do...

On the I-4 8G's I know for sure the ignition timing is controled by the ecu because we do not have a distributor, we are distibuteless. On the new gen 4G64's which are on the 8th gen Galants and the 3G Eclipse we have coil packs. So their is no manually changing the ignition timing at all, no timing gun involved. What a cam gear does is change the power band to move it one way or the other moves the power around. You can retard or advance the timing to gain either high end or low end hp. It is a little difficult to time it yourself because we have a sohc and that cam controls both the exhaust and intake. On a DOHC it is easier since you have a cam for each but then agaain you need two adj cam gears for that. Also When you adj the cam gear timing you also need to reset your ecu so that the computer can compensate the ignition timing for the changes in the cam timeing. Remember guys the best way to dial in a cam gear is on a dyno. O'yea and as far as the V6 I think you guys do have a distributor cap but us I-4 's don't,..and again I don't even think anyone makes a cam gear for you guys,...so unless someone makes a cam gear for V6's then this is a I-4 topic!!HAHAAHAHH https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif :wink:

Tiller
09-01-2002, 11:35 PM
hey toc, i think he is trying to retard the ignition timing to compensate for any possible detonation when running his NAWWWZ... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

So you guys with the I4, have no way of adjusting that at all...? that sucks...

CRH-1
09-02-2002, 01:57 AM
That does very much suck, I even checked with an MSD DIS ignition control which is said to work for cars with two coil packs including our Galants. BUT, further results that I found out was that the Tack adapter used with the MSD doesn't match up with something in the ECU which will cause our RPM gauge to stop working. So that won't even work. That sucks.

toc8g
09-02-2002, 07:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey toc, i think he is trying to retard the ignition timing to compensate for any possible detonation when running his NAWWWZ... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

So you guys with the I4, have no way of adjusting that at all...? that sucks...</div>

Yeah it does,....