PDA

View Full Version : K&N vs CAI

2002gtz
06-30-2003, 08:35 AM
I have a question for you horsepower kurus. Which one would give more horsepower? A K&N airfilter or a CAI. I already have a K&N, but want more horsepower. Would it be worth it to buy a CAI and replace my K&N?

Auto-9
06-30-2003, 11:22 AM
The cold air induction will give you more power over just the filtercharger. Don't expect crazy gains though.

2002gtz
06-30-2003, 11:27 AM
So would it be worth it financially to buy the CAI and replace my K&N if I'm only going to get small gains?

extremsprt86
06-30-2003, 11:44 AM
you should use a k&n cone filter on a CAI... use both https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

pinoyesv6
06-30-2003, 12:10 PM
i have the OEM replacement k&n and an injen short ram. with the k&n i modified the airbox so that it will be like a short ram intake. but yea i felt a lil more kick from the injen. if you can get your hands on a cone filter and adaptor for cheap then i say go for it. but if your shelling out hundreds of dollars for an aftermarket intake expecting to see seconds shaved off your quarter mile, then your gonan be disappointed.

Khopari
07-01-2003, 01:14 AM
i just got my self MAS Adapter with K&N Filter,, no big gain,, but i can feel my engine,, lil diff..

Zivman
07-01-2003, 06:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2002gtz)</div><div class='quotemain'>So would it be worth it financially to buy the CAI and replace my K&N if I'm only going to get small gains?</div>

I have seen dynos where the drop in K&N actually lost performance vs an oem filter, so you will definitely see more gains with the CAI vs the drop in. The drop in is basically the same as your oem filter, but reusable(meaning no gains, but you don't have to buy another air filter)

With the CAI, you will increase flow, lower intake temps, and maybe gain a few hp. Don't expect much, maybe 2-4 hp, but milage may increase and you will definitely like the sound that the intake makes. I would suggest not just getting an adapter or WAI, as intake temps run a lot higher with the filter being in the shortened position. With my dataloger I saw atleast a 20 degree difference in intake temps in the WAI vs CAI positions, and most of the time a 30-40 degree difference. This means intake temps of 85 degrees vs 120 degrees. With the WAI You could possibly be sucking in air that is so warm (right after you drove for a while, shut the car off at the store for 5 minutes and then started up again) that you will throw a misfire code. Trust me, I have done this more than once with my AEM in the shortened position. The air is being pulled right off the radiator and is blocked from any fresh air flow in that position. How can this happen? Air is so warm (ie is not dense enough) it does not allow for proper combustion/detonation.

For reference:
WAI = Warm Air intake = short ram
CAI = Cool Air intake

2002gtz
07-02-2003, 08:48 AM
Thanks for all the info. I've been looking at the Injen CAI to replace my K&N drop-in filter. This definently settles my dilemma. :D Does anybody know of any great deals going on for an Injen CAI? :?: