PDA

View Full Version : Installing a manual shift knob.

pinoyesv6
06-30-2003, 09:21 PM
I think i figured out a way to install a manual shift knob in our cars without causing any damage to the car. but let me first start with a story.

i got my maxspeed shift boot today. i bought it on ebay for a dollar plus shipping it includes a shift knob too.

http://63.193.218.220:8087/fif=maxspeed-shifteranboot.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=300&hei=294&rgn=0.0,0.0,1.00000000,1.00000000&lng=en_US&cvt=jpeg

so yea, i planned on installing the shift boot. removed the bezel, removed the shift knob and guess what, shift boot was too small to fit around the plastic shift indicator piece. so yea. took off that piece tried stretching the boot to make it fit with the piece not connected to the car and it still won't work.

so with everything taken apart, i looked at how the white plastic piece, the part with the famous triangle that we all cut off for aftermarket knobs, how that works. pretty much all it does is slide up and down in the shaft and thats connected to the linkage to shift.

so yea, i took my hand and pushed the triangle piece down all by myself and to my suprise it goes in and i can shift into different gears. so an idea pops into my head. i grab the shift knob and place it over the triangle thing. i push down on the shift knob and yea, im shifting into all these gears. but the shift knob is really wobbly. the hole in the bottom of the shift knob is really big compared to the triangle thingy and yea the shift nkob could just fall off since it wasn't secure.

so here's my idea. the shaft that the white triangle plastic piece sits inside has an outside diameter of 3/4" now im thinking take a pipe with an inside diameter of 3/4" inches or maybe slightly bigger, and slide it over that shaft. then take the manual shift knob and attach that to the pipe. so yea that solves one problem. the shift knob won't wobble since its connected to the pipe and the pipe isn't wobbling to the shaft.

there another problem arises. sum1 could just walk up to your car and just pull up on the knob and steal the knob and the pipe. so then i remember the OEM shift knob is held in by two screws. so i think, and yea screw the pipe down to that shaft. i keep thinking more and i realize if i screw the pipe down, then the pipe won't be able to slide up and down. so my solution, instead of drilling two holes for the screws, make a rectangular hole so that the pipe can still slide up and down but still use the screws to keep the knob from getting pulled out.

tell me what u guys think and any problems that might arise with my idea.

imma be heading down to home depot first thing in the morning to get some pipe.

galantv600
06-30-2003, 10:08 PM
damnnnnnN!!! ur a geniuos!! if that comes out good for u! im down for doing that to mine!! DEF.! i want a manual trans boot..i was thinkin of maybe somethin like that but then again i never thought of it like this.... i jsut thought hmmm cut the triangle like all others but then u can just move it up and down and itll shift.. didtn think of the negative parts to it!

pinoyesv6
06-30-2003, 10:13 PM
see thats the thing, you don't have to cut the triangle piece if you don't want to. im pretty sure that over a while it will wear down or something but yea you don't have to cut it unless you want the thing to sit lower. but you can drill out the shift knob and achieve a similar effect

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantv600)</div><div class='quotemain'>damnnnnnN!!! ur a geniuos!! </div>

haha thanks. its weird. usually people pay me to think of stuff like this. you guys at tgc get all the freebies...

escoson
06-30-2003, 10:16 PM
i think your idea is in the rite direction. i recently purchased my ichibahn shift boot and it fits perfectly. yr idea is nice though. i say do it. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

pinoyesv6
07-01-2003, 09:47 AM
*update*

i got it to work so far. still not done but i got the main hard part done.

went down to home depot early this morning with the shift knob and some measurements and this is what it got.

a got a 3/4" copper water pipe. i coulda used a plastic pipe but i'd rather pay 3 dollars for a 2 foot pipe than 2.50 for a big 10 foot pipe that i'd have to wrestle everywhere i go. the size of pvc, or electrical conduit would be different since the walls on the palstic pipes are thicker than the one on the copper. btw, 3/4" pvc is too small and 1/2" copper is too small too if you guys were wondering.

i got a pack of 4mm washers. these will help me with the spacing of the pipe and help to cause less friction.

i got 2 4mm screws. the bag says m4-.7 on it. thats the size. these will go on the OEM holes to hold the knob down. i'll get into specifics on what size and type to get since i know i'll be heading back to home depot to get the exact size.

i got a 3/4" coupling. thsi si made out of copper. the bottom of my shift knob is 3/4" so this will join the shift knob and the pipe together.

and a pack of epoxy. i got a pack of jb weld, this will hold the shift knob onto the pipe.

so this is what i have so far

http://pinoyesv6.galants.com/cgi-bin/shifter.jpg

what is it? well on the top is my shift knob and on the bottom is that copper pipe. joining the two is a whole buncha electrical tape and masking tape. i didn't use the jb weld and the coupling because i wanted to make sure things work before i start puttting things together permanently.

i'll get more details with size lengths etc etc when i finish.

o yea, this can be done in the parking lot of home depot with the improper tools like i did but i really dont recommend it.

GalantLadie
07-01-2003, 09:52 AM
i replaced my shifter with a manual shifter a while back i posted pics here...http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php...2645&highlight= ('http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12645&highlight=')

00 galant
07-01-2003, 02:20 PM
ya I dont recommend it either. pinoy you might run into a problem when you drill holes into the copper the little copper peices go inside the pipe which wont make it fit over the shifter you'll have to sand the inside down. then when you finally have it fit make sure you drill a big enough hole the screw will be able to go through the copper which didnt in mine. I ended up getting a grinder and grinding down my shaft till it fit which was a b*tch

HeadAche
07-01-2003, 03:32 PM
I have a manual shift knob, but i had 2 change the whole tranny to get it..lmao