PDA

View Full Version : Recommended order of Mods

THX1139
09-01-2002, 12:02 AM
Hey everyone, here's my deal: I have decided to slowly but steadily make some serious mods to my car. So far the only money I have spent on it is like 4 bucks for some 194's to change my guages a bit. I did some free mods (emblems shaved, corners cleared) but I would like to get a little more substantial.

That being said, what order would you guys do the following mods: In no particular order...
Rims/Tires (will drop it at same time)
Cold air intake
Paint job
Exhaust/maybe headers
Body Kit (nothing crazy, still looking for something calm enough)

*anything else along the way i forgot, put it in there somewhere

Thanks for any help, late.

Turboutlaw
09-01-2002, 12:56 AM
Okay, this is just my opinion....

1. Rims and Tires...they make such a difference, a lot of times thats how i decide if i am just looking at a car whether or not they put work into it because they can set them apart from others. And yes, go ahead and get it lowered now too so you dont have a gap and maybe you can get away with just one alignment.

2. Exhaust...I would get the exhaust before the intake because I feel just personally at least that since there is going to be more air coming in with the intake, you might as well go ahea and get ready for it with an exhaust so that you arent slowing down the flow at all.

3. Cold Air Intake...Until I get my headers I think these have made the biggest difference that I can personally tell as far as power.

Extra: I like cars with tints if the color of your car is right, its another thing that can look really good on most cars.

4. Body Kit...this is going to be a pretty expensive part other than the rims and tires but can make so much difference. The reason I think that you should get it after performance is because I dont see why you wuold look like you have a fast car if you can't back it up with some extra power.

5. Maybe Headers... If you know that you want power and can afford to give up like 300 or whatever dollars these will help you out without having to go to the max and get like a turbo

6. Paint job...I dont know if you meant like a whole new color or like some detailing and decals but I would wait till the end, and at least after the kit because you dont want to have to go back and get that painted later on after you have the rest of your car done up. Its good to have everything the way you want it , and then but out with a total car paint or something like that.

Extra: Evo engine or a turbo..............................

I didnt go in that order but thats just cause I get money at different times so i jumped around that stuff. Hope that helps you out in your decission and we can't wait to see what you decide.

newsobe
09-01-2002, 01:06 AM
1.rims/tires/drop
2.Cold air intake
3.Exhaust/maybe headers
4.Body Kit
5.Paint job

TJC
09-01-2002, 01:40 AM
Go here for some ideas. click here ('http://www.tgc-forums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1986')

RedGalant2k1
09-01-2002, 01:48 AM
CAI
Rims
Headers
Body Kit

Don't bother with a paint job unless you got at LEAST $5000 to put towards a GOOD High Show Quality paint job.

THX1139
09-01-2002, 02:06 AM
All right thanks guys, sounds good. That is roughly what I came up with. I probably should have pointed out that I would never get a kit before painting...or before doing some engine work. Thats a given. But thanks, and like I said, this will be over time, but results shall come....

Auto-9
09-01-2002, 09:02 AM
Or you can do what I'm going for...the sleeper wannabe and start with performance first (CAI, headers, exhaust) and then move onto looks.

THX1139
09-01-2002, 09:52 AM
Thats what I said man...no erubuni action until I've got something under the hood...All show and no go? May it never be!

RedGalant2k1
09-01-2002, 10:47 AM
All right thanks guys, sounds good. That is roughly what I came up with. I probably should have pointed out that I would never get a kit before painting...or before doing some engine work. Thats a given. But thanks, and like I said, this will be over time, but results shall come....

Yes PLEASE don't install the kit before its painted!!!! hahaha

Either way i'd still say don't get a kit or paint job unless you got some big bucks to put into it otherwise its worthless. Those $300 MaaCo paintjobs are BULLSHIT! I will NEVER go cheap on my paint job, NEVER.

Black2k1GTZ
09-01-2002, 11:24 AM
I think the best advice I can give is to ask yourself what you are looking for the most in your car?? If you want your car to be fast...then concentrate on youre engine...Intake, Exhaust, Headers etc. On the other hand if you want style then go with the rims, drop, kit etc.

Personally I have always followed the 1 to 1 rule. I do 1 performance mod, then 1 styling mod. For example...first I installed my intake, then I cleared my corners and put in all hyper white bulbs, then an exhaust, then my indiglo guages...that way you get a good balance of looks and power!!!

Marc :mg:

Tiller
09-01-2002, 10:21 PM
it doesn't really matter... as long as you do the suspension BEFORE you do the rims...

I persoanlly did the AEM first, as it was the best bag for the buck... then suspension, rims, and now the exhaust...

2001KnightRider
09-02-2002, 01:10 AM
i depends on what you want out of your car, do you want looks or power, or both, if you want looks then get rims and a body kit, if you want power get exhaust intake headers cam cam gears plugs wires and so on. if you want both, i suggest to get exhaust, then an intake, then rims then a body kit, you get the best of both worlds, i don't agree with turbo outlaw, you don't have to back up your car with power, if it's just for looks, it all depends what you want out of your car, just remember, if you car is still under warranty and you don't wanna fuck with your warranty, i wouldn't do performance besides small mods, cause some mitsu dealers are bitches bout that shit.

Tiller
09-02-2002, 10:00 AM
just so you know... these "power" mods are not going to net you anything you are going to notice except the sound...

unless you get the headers, an exhaust, and an intake are not going to be blowing the doors off anything that you couldn't before those mods...

pinoyesv6
09-02-2002, 05:23 PM
actually the best order to mod up your car is by its weakness to u. if you feel its low on power add that up. if u feel its low on sound pump that up. just remember your car is as stong as its weakest component. start there, whatever u feel that it is