PDA

View Full Version : Fuel injectors

cdaw2001ES
09-01-2002, 02:49 AM
Anbody know what the stock PPH of the I4's injectors are?

What are the Stock V6 pph?

TJC
09-01-2002, 04:04 AM
I heard our injectors are sufficient even for small amounts of boost. It's the FPR that needs to be upgraded.

Fishboy55
09-01-2002, 09:37 AM
I want to say they're 450cc, but I can't find the technical specs I read that in.

Chip

cdaw2001ES
09-01-2002, 04:37 PM
Ok - so I gots another question, what part varyies the amount of fuel flow, The fuel inhectors, the regulator, or the pump. I mean this in the scense of normal driving, what controls the amont of fuel the injectors inject. Do these injectors scale the pulse of fuel? or is the presure behind them adjusted.

...besides the ecu....

Fishboy55
09-01-2002, 10:30 PM
Ok - so I gots another question, what part varyies the amount of fuel flow, The fuel inhectors, the regulator, or the pump. I mean this in the scense of normal driving, what controls the amont of fuel the injectors inject. Do these injectors scale the pulse of fuel? or is the presure behind them adjusted.

...besides the ecu....

Actually, it's a combination of all three. The fuel pump delivers the fuel. the FPR regulates how high the pressure is and the injectors determine the amount of flow into the manifold. The objective is to get the maximum fuel you can into the cylinders to get ignited. Mitsu fuel pumps are inherently low volume. There are two options here. One is to rewire the fuel pump. Believe it or not Mitsu steps down the gauge of the wire to limit the flow of the pump. So if you increase the wire size, you'll get more flow. This is a major mod from what I can tell from reading the tutorial on the Eclipse board. The alternative is to replace the pump with a higher flow model. This is much easier as the pump is just a drop in under the back seat.

The second link is the FPR. The stock on is a 1:1 regualtion and is constant at that pressure. RPW distributes a unit made by FSE that is a rising rate regulator. It's idle ratio is 1.7:1. The pressure rises as the throttle increases, making the fuel curve more constant across the top and bottom ends. I have this unit installed and love it. It's fully adjustable as needed for track days, etc.

The final component are the injectors themselves. Mitsu injectors are laser drilled to a specific flow rate. The Eclipse has larger flow injectors (550cc I think) than the Galant and the 300GT (650cc I think) has bigger injectors than the Eclipse. If you increase the injector size, you're going to get more fuel into the cylinders, as long as the pump gets it there and the FPR puts enough pressure behind it.

As a side note, I'm working with a vendor right now for options on a fuel pump upgrade and injector upgrades as well. I'll keep everybody posted on what I can work out. The pump should be under $100. The injector prices will vary depending on the flow rate chosen. I'll let everyone know and open a group buy, if applicable when I've got ALL the details worked out.

Chip

Black2k1GTZ
09-01-2002, 11:10 PM
Chip what would we do without you????? What company are you dealing with???

Marc :mg:

Fishboy55
09-01-2002, 11:28 PM
Thanks Marc. It's good to be appreciated. I'm working with a Walbro distributor for the pumps and RC Engineering for the injectors. I also talked to Sieman Deka on the injectors, but they were only available in 720cc models. :shock: I think they thought I was building an F16!!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Chip

cdaw2001ES
09-02-2002, 02:18 AM
So the low fuel pressure can prevent the injectors from filling all the way?
Would you advise both a FPR and Pump simul upgrade.
I've noticed several other upgrade FPRs - How do you judge them. i like RPW's but $175 seems steep, just like Magnacore, just cant justfiy the cost, when I can get 47PSI for basically $30.00, I know thats fixed, not rising rate. are their problems with mainting a constant pressure.

I'm eventually going to upgrade to 1000CC variable injectors with a Halltec E6.but that may be on a 3.0L swap, with twin turbos. If I upgrade my pump and PR now, I want to be sure to have enough to eventually run the 10-14 maxpsi FI 6Cyl.
Would RPW's adjustability give me that kind of flow?
if so - then I guess it'd be worth the$$ as it would be a long term part.

Fishboy55
09-02-2002, 10:06 AM
You can do the pump and the FPR separately with no drawbacks. The advantage of the rising rate FPR is that it compensates for extra pressure when you need it. The RPW unit will handle your 1000cc injectors easily. I've taken it up to 50PSI with no problems and still more adjustment available.

Chip