PDA

View Full Version : oil light

tbird48
07-05-2003, 05:27 PM
My wife's car recently was in for an oil change. Shortly therafter, she noticed the oil light was going on when she would come to a stop. she also noticed it would go out as soon as she gave it gas. This has been happening since this past winter. The reason I bring this up is because the light didn't come on when the car was cold. after she drove it for a few miles the oil light would come on when she came to a stop. I drove it to see just when it does come on. As the car is coming to a stop, the oil light flickers just before it is at a complete stop and then its totally lit when stopped. It stays on in N and P even when you give it gas. It's on when your foot is on the brake and you're in D or R. As soon as you start to go, the light goes out completely and stays out as long as you're driving. If there is any other information needed, please let me know. I know the oil level is full. Thanks, Tom.

8ggalant
07-05-2003, 05:32 PM
do u have a 7g or 8g...i know some of the 7g engines as well as the 2nd gen eclipse engine have oil pressure problems (mine did)....worse case scenarion ull need a new oil pump...id say take it to the dealer to make sure..alotta peeple dont like the dealer but i think they r the place to go for big stuff like that....IMO...hope this helps a little

verywhite01
07-06-2003, 04:47 AM
I had that problem also I took it to the dealer the said it was the oil pressure swithch, if it under warrenty they fix it for free, if not dont know how much it is.

manybrews
07-06-2003, 09:44 AM
yeah, thats a sign of a failing oil pressure switch.

Go get yourself a new one installed. even if its not warranty, its fairly cheap.

simple_un
07-29-2003, 10:22 AM
I had sent this in response to Kroner's post on the same topic
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check this out - I have the same problem (2 & 4) now and think this should help:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc.
Models:
Mitsubishi Galant Years: 1999-2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse Year: 2000
Number Involved: 19,789
Dates of Manufacture: May 1998 - November 1999
Defect: On certain passenger vehicles equipped with V6 engines and Federal emission equipment, the battery cable wiring harness can become heat damaged by the front exhaust manifold which could cause grounded circuits. This circuit failure could cause any of the following to occur: (1) the engine will not start because the main fuse will blow if the power lead is grounded; (2) the low oil pressure warning lamp will illuminate if the signal wire is grounded; (3) the air-conditioning system will become inoperative if the lead to the magnetic clutch is grounded; and (4) the turn signal/hazard lamps will become inoperative if the voltage monitor lead is grounded.
Remedy: Dealers will remove and discard a metal manifold bracket (from Galant models only - Eclipse has no such bracket). Dealers will also inspect the harness. If the harness wires show no damage, the dealer will install a heat insulator along with heat resistant harness clips. If the harness wires do show damage, the dealers will install a new harness with pre-installed integral heat protection. Owner notification is expected to begin during January 2000. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Mitsubishi at 1-800-222-0037.
[NHTSA Recall No. 99V333/Mitsubishi Recall No. 990GND0095]

SuperDragon
08-27-2003, 07:31 AM
I have a 2000 Galant. Bought the oil pressure switch on AdvanceAutoParts.com for $19.99 for the same problem, and it worked.

Get under the car, look left and back from the oil pan, up the back of the engine and you'll see it, all you do is unplug the connector from one end and unscrew the switch out (a LITTLE lick of oil will drip out), then screw the new one in and plug the connector back on. Simple!