PDA

View Full Version : AEM Big Brake Kit

bstnsportsfan
09-01-2002, 01:28 PM
Hey guys, I got a question, will the AEM Big Brake kit for a 95-99 Eclipse fit the galant? They dont them for the galant, but possibly the eclipse would fit us? Also, does anyone know what these cost? I know you need a 17" wheel or bigger, but they'd probably look really good and you'd be able to stop on a dime!

RedGalant2k1
09-01-2002, 01:39 PM
The bolt pattern is the same. And just for reference the 8G Galant can use the 3Gs AEM Big Brake kit.

They usually go for like $450-500 depending on the dealer. Talk to Black2k1GTZ he carries AEM, plus lots of other companies.

QnzMostWanted
09-01-2002, 02:01 PM
i doubt they will fit considering the 95-99 eclipse has 5 lug and the 7g has 4 lug

Dark Anghell
09-02-2002, 11:12 AM
Actually they will fit. I did some research, and it is pretty much the same as fitting a Nissan 300ZX brakes on a 1990 240 SX. What you have to do is redrill the holes on the rotor, in order to fit the 4 lug.

There's one little...actually big problem. Most of my friends with the big brakes that came from Brembo crack when it rains. It happens because of all the cross-drilling the company have done. This upgrade looks cool for the shows, and great for the track. But in normal driving, they suck.

If you want to do something with the brake setup you have, get the steel braided lines, and good pads. That will make a bigger improvement than anything else will.

TJC
09-02-2002, 12:26 PM
What? Brembo cross drilled rotors crack!?!?! What model rotor was that? I'm kind of surprised their quality wouldn't withstand sudden expansion/contraction caused by harsh weather environments.

Dark Anghell
09-02-2002, 11:34 PM
It came from a toyota supra. The same one you saw on the poster from Super Street in August or September issue. I believe it was his rear rotor. Also my friend's Skyline R32 that comes from the factory with brembo rotors has a little crack. The guy still drives with them though.

I was going to order that AEM kit myself a few month ago. But I'm not going to anymore. Big brakes are great for track, but for the street, a good set of brake pads, stainless lines, and brembo replacement rotors (same as stock) will work a lot better for at least my application.

Also if you have 17" wheels on the car, there's a good chance that there will be no clearance between the caliper and the wheel. That's what happended to this one guys Si. He got some advans that are 17" and a brembo upgrade, and he had to raise his car back up, and space out the wheels by an 1" or a little less. But AEM might be different, on NOPI they do say that you might have to use spacers https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif .

If someone does the swap let everyone know how they work. If I'm completely wrong, and the rotors hold up really good in wet weather (it rains for 9 months in Seattle :cry: ), I'll be the next person to order those for myself.

boostin4g64_2jzgte
10-30-2002, 06:05 PM
i just bought 12 sets, and i purchased a digital ccamera this afternoon so pics will be up tomorrow night. ill take some closeups of everything. im not sure what size and all that shit is but i will get all the info at work tomorrow and take pic of some installed sets.

boostin4g64_2jzgte
10-30-2002, 06:05 PM
I am moving forward with the Ripps SC, I have the funds available, I am just waiting on hearing back from Ripps on some questions that I had. They said they would let me know when it is ready..

Matt

boostin4g64_2jzgte
10-30-2002, 06:06 PM