PDA

View Full Version : Does buying a new cat and cat back give performance

ScOtTiE_MaK
07-07-2003, 08:28 PM
alright im a lil dissapointed right now....just came back from my local performance shop and hes like alright i can do this for you but before i do it i just want to let you know even if you buy a new cat you'll be lucky to get 2 or 3hp from it. hes like unless you go forward and get forced induction this is only going to make your car sound a hell of a lot better.

so my question to you guys is do you guys feel a difference going with larger pipping and a new cat. and those who say yes did you get it dynoed...cause the mind can be tricky once money is spent.

or if you dont have it done and know about this please let me know cause i dont wanna throw away money to make my car reach a few more dbs...its only 200 something but still

Scott

pinoyesv6
07-07-2003, 08:30 PM
yea, he's right. an exhaust on our cars aren't that restrictive and yea the gains won't be that much with a cat back. on other cars like hondas, you'll see a bigger gain more likely since their oem exhausts are more restrictive.

ScOtTiE_MaK
07-07-2003, 08:37 PM
k cause he was sayin if i was goin to do it...i told him that i was goin with 2.25" pipping and i already got my muffler which is a 3" in and out and i would get a new cat which would have the same 2.25 in and out....but he said why not go for the 2.5 in and out everything well except the muff of course cause im not buying a new one.....

so even with that would it do something...cause this site that has this cat for sale claims 10hp and some more touque....but all in all he did say my car would sound damn good

let me know

manybrews
07-07-2003, 11:22 PM
it may sound better, but you wont notice any power gain.
at best youde get 3 or 4 HP.
the exhaust is definatly NOT the major restriction on these cars.

Auto-9
07-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Not the cat-back anyway...it's the emissions controls that rob every car of its power. Replace the Cali spec's exhaust manifolds to the end with freer flowing pipes and see what it does for you. For me it gave me back 19 more whp and 25 more ft lb torque at the wheels, but I failed emissions (I just went to find out for future reference) and had a car that was loud as hell.

ScOtTiE_MaK
07-08-2003, 02:03 AM
so what did you do...and how can i do that but pass emmisions...without making my car sound too loud haha

verywhite01
07-08-2003, 04:11 AM
Hey Rallifan what size pipe did you use betweenthe headers and the cat?

Auto-9
07-08-2003, 10:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScOtTiE_MaK)</div><div class='quotemain'>so what did you do...and how can i do that but pass emmisions...without making my car sound too loud haha</div>

The downpipe was made from 2.25 inch pipe, then it was expanded to 2.5 after the cat to the muffler. You really can't do this to your car and expect to pass emissions. I passed visual but when they put it on the dyno it failed by a little bit. Those pre-cats make a difference...it's not huge but it's enough to put out a tad more pollution than a Fed spec.