PDA

View Full Version : shift boot install????

leicoolya
09-01-2002, 11:55 PM
ok guys who has put an aftermarket shift boot on their car??
and how did u do it???

Fishboy55
09-02-2002, 10:18 AM
I got one! It's Easy. Pop off the trim panel around the shifter. Under that is the shift mechanism. It's held in with a couple of screws. I took that out, fit the shift boot around it (I had to split the boot slightly). Screw the shift mechanism back in and then pop the trim piece back on. If you're not using an aftermarket shift knob, you'll have to take off the stock shift knob to get the boot on.

Chip

Tiller
09-02-2002, 10:25 AM
Chip... pics...?

Fishboy55
09-02-2002, 11:13 AM
Tiller. Here you go. And please, no comments about the wood trim. I'm going to get it replaced as soon as I find brushed aluminum that looks good at a decent price.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/4f4e72d4/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/shift+boot.jpg?bcjiym9A_17GcMHH

RedGalant2k1
09-02-2002, 11:26 AM
Tiller. Here you go. And please, no comments about the wood trim. I'm going to get it replaced as soon as I find brushed aluminum that looks good at a decent price.

i like the wood trim :thumbsup:

Shift boot looks good too!

Fishboy55
09-02-2002, 11:35 AM
Thanks Dave!. I'd like it a lot more if I had the tan leather interior. But it just looks strange with gray. Sort of like it was an afterthought. But I don't hate it enough to paint it. I had at least three people at the track ask me if my car was a manual transmission on Saturday.https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I was talking to a guy with a 13 second stock firebird. He had one of the nicest CAI's I've ever seen. The LS-1 motor has dual air intakes, so his CAI was dual polished tubes with two cone filters. Asked where he got it...At the DEALER!!!! Dammit when is Mitsu going to stock parts like that? I know...never!

TJC
09-02-2002, 11:57 AM
Man Chip, you must have very exact shifts. I wish they had a light in the gauge pod that tells me what gear I'm in b/c I hate relying on the gear indicator by the shift. A boot cover is nice but that would just mean trouble for me cause I always shift, lol.

Hey, maybe now there's a good reason to get that really big shift light for the dash https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Tiller
09-02-2002, 12:02 PM
you'll get no shit from me on the woodgrain... i kinda like it, but i agree it would look more "at home" in a tan interior... or black...

you should check into the CF trim from the 02's... really looks good in the gray interior...

TJC
09-02-2002, 12:13 PM
you'll get no shit from me on the woodgrain... i kinda like it, but i agree it would look more "at home" in a tan interior... or black...

you should check into the CF trim from the 02's... really looks good in the gray interior...

Hmmm, you know, I never thought of it that way but you're right. The wood grain would be a better match that way. Too bad black is not an option; it looks better with a silver car and less noticable to see grime. On the other hand, neon lighting is awesome with a grey interior b/c it reflects the lighting w/o really tinting the color too much either. :wink:

And I like my wood grain too, hehe. Maybe will put real wood trim in the future.

Fishboy55
09-02-2002, 12:23 PM
Man Chip, you must have very exact shifts. I wish they had a light in the gauge pod that tells me what gear I'm in b/c I hate relying on the gear indicator by the shift. A boot cover is nice but that would just mean trouble for me cause I always shift, lol.

Hey, maybe now there's a good reason to get that really big shift light for the dash https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif
I don't shift TJC. The most shifting I do is to leave it in 3 at the track. And I can count down one click LOL. I tried putting the shift boot on so that you could see that shift indicator, but the blasted thing is one piece molded plastic, so it was a no go.
Please don't put one of those ridiculous shift lights on your dash. They look silly anyway, but even more so with an automatic. If you do, make sure you get the big 6 inch tach for the visually impaired. Saw a punk in a civic with one of those at the track Saturday...and he still ran 18.6. LOL

Chip

Chip

Fishboy55
09-02-2002, 12:24 PM

I like that CF twist on the 02's, but refuse to pay dealer cost for it. (it's over $200) If I could find a dealer or someone that would trade me even up CF for wood, I'd do that in a second.

Chip

Tiller
09-02-2002, 12:51 PM
did you try Keith at DelRay...?

I got my headlamp assembly for less than $200 shipped, and my local dealer wanted like $270 for it...

TJC
09-02-2002, 02:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>
I don't shift TJC. The most shifting I do is to leave it in 3 at the track. And I can count down one click LOL. I tried putting the shift boot on so that you could see that shift indicator, but the blasted thing is one piece molded plastic, so it was a no go. Â*
Please don't put one of those ridiculous shift lights on your dash. They look silly anyway, but even more so with an automatic. If you do, make sure you get the big 6 inch tach for the visually impaired. Saw a punk in a civic with one of those at the track Saturday...and he still ran 18.6. LOL

Chip</div>

Hahaha. Yeah, was wondering if you shift that much. I do, hehe. *1* is a tough concept for shifting :roll: j/k

So what will it be, the Big Red or Big Yellow shift light? Or maybe a nice high powered LED customed into my gauge cluster somewhere :wink: Just have to find a way to make a nice trigger on the 4th gear, either machanically on the shifter or electronically..... time to look at the circuit schematics in the manual again. :wink:

Shylynn
09-03-2002, 10:24 AM
thats a nice shift boot where did u get it? i have not seen a two tone ones just the plain one color ones.

Fishboy55
09-03-2002, 10:46 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shylynn)</div><div class='quotemain'>thats a nice shift boot where did u get it? i have not seen a two tone ones just the plain one color ones.</div> Thanks Shylynn. It came from Pep Boys. Cost $17. Came with a cheap looking manual shift knob which i tossed.

Chip

pinoyesv6
09-03-2002, 12:02 PM
hey chip i see u were talking about howing a dual intake. with two pipes and filters. i think we can rig up a dual intake system starting at the MAS if u want. a lil bit ov overkill but if u want, it can probably happen lol...

Fishboy55
09-03-2002, 12:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey chip i see u were talking about howing a dual intake. with two pipes and filters. i think we can rig up a dual intake system starting at the MAS if u want. a lil bit ov overkill but if u want, it can probably happen lol...</div> That seems silly for our car. The Firebird actually had two intake paths to the manifold, so that's why he had a dual. As long as we can rig up a single I'm cool. hahah

4G64T
09-03-2002, 01:15 PM
wassup fishboy i got the same boot and shifter except mine is black and grey exactly how did you get the boot on there i tried for the longest but i couldnt get it to fit around

Fishboy55
09-03-2002, 03:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whips_n_chains408)</div><div class='quotemain'>wassup fishboy i got the same boot and shifter except mine is black and grey exactly how did you get the boot on there i tried for the longest but i couldnt get it to fit around</div> I had to split the boot slightly to make it fit around the shift mechanism.

MnGalant
09-05-2002, 07:38 PM
Fish u keep it in 3rd gear from start to finish. [/quote]

Fishboy55
09-05-2002, 10:41 PM
Fish u keep it in 3rd gear from start to finish. [/quote]Yes I do most of the time. I won't shift my A/T, so I either leave it in third or drive. Third easily goes to 100 or so without hitting the rev limiter.

Chip