View Full Version : oil light??

KRONER
07-08-2003, 10:38 PM
Within the past week or so I noticed that when my RPMs drop below 1000 or when im just idling my oil pressure light comes on. But then wehn i take off agian it goes away. I bought a new oil pressure switch and figured Id change that first. Any one know when the switch is located on the engine? Also, does this sound like a real big problem? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

KRONER
07-08-2003, 10:39 PM
I have a '99 - I4

tonivegas82
07-08-2003, 11:49 PM
That happened to me last week before I changed my oil and filter and plugs. If you did all that and the light still comes on, then sorry can't help you there....

simple_un
07-29-2003, 10:14 AM
Check this out - I have the same problem (2 & 4) now and think this should help:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc.
Models:
Mitsubishi Galant Years: 1999-2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse Year: 2000
Number Involved: 19,789
Dates of Manufacture: May 1998 - November 1999
Defect: On certain passenger vehicles equipped with V6 engines and Federal emission equipment, the battery cable wiring harness can become heat damaged by the front exhaust manifold which could cause grounded circuits. This circuit failure could cause any of the following to occur: (1) the engine will not start because the main fuse will blow if the power lead is grounded; (2) the low oil pressure warning lamp will illuminate if the signal wire is grounded; (3) the air-conditioning system will become inoperative if the lead to the magnetic clutch is grounded; and (4) the turn signal/hazard lamps will become inoperative if the voltage monitor lead is grounded.
Remedy: Dealers will remove and discard a metal manifold bracket (from Galant models only - Eclipse has no such bracket). Dealers will also inspect the harness. If the harness wires show no damage, the dealer will install a heat insulator along with heat resistant harness clips. If the harness wires do show damage, the dealers will install a new harness with pre-installed integral heat protection. Owner notification is expected to begin during January 2000. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Mitsubishi at 1-800-222-0037.
[NHTSA Recall No. 99V333/Mitsubishi Recall No. 990GND0095]

manybrews
07-29-2003, 06:41 PM
trust me, its an oil pressure switch failing.

done a million of them already.

simple_un
07-30-2003, 10:33 AM
Thanks - will follow up

KRONER
07-30-2003, 03:27 PM
It was my oil pressure switch - easy fix - $8 - unscrew old one, screw in new one. Thanks for the help

jorge 01 galant
08-04-2003, 01:57 PM
Where is that switch located at, l am having the same problem and getting sick of that red light coming on everytime the brake is pressed...

KRONER
08-27-2003, 08:30 PM
ok...the oil pressure switch is located on the back of the engine about halfway up on the left hand side. There is a wire connected to it that kinda snaps on. Remove the wire and unscrew the switch. Screw in the new switch, connect the wire...and should be good as new. The way i wrote this makes it sound kind of easy but be warned...the placement of the switch makes it hard to get leverage on it and the wire thing doesnt come off to easy either. If you have a hard time finding the switch go buy one first this way you know what to look for.

hardknox
09-22-2003, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the tip about the pressure switch. I went to Advance Auto Parts and ordered the part from the store. It was $9.99 with free shipping. The job was a snap and saved me $100.00. The dealer was going to charge me $110.00.
Thanks,
Hard Knox :wink: