PDA

View Full Version : Tightening of Throttle Body Cable Question

VegasMatt
09-02-2002, 12:00 PM
I just went and took a look at the tutorial on tightening the TB cable. Am I to assume that the whole plate where the two bolts are moves to tighten the cable correct? So if you are standing in front of the car, you would want to move it to the left to tighten the cable so that there is no slack in the wire? The tutorial wasn't quite clear.

If this is correct, then I will do it later today. I just have to get my air tools out to take off the STB because I can't get to those bolts with the STB in the way.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt

Black2k1GTZ
09-02-2002, 12:15 PM
Yeah your right the whole thing moves. If your standing in front of the car..it'll slide to the left. But remember...do it when the car is on so you dont tighten it too much!!

Marc :mg:

TJC
09-02-2002, 12:15 PM
Yes Matt, that is exactly right. It's just to take up the slack in the cable and nothing more :thumbsup:

pinoyesv6
09-02-2002, 05:28 PM
i also recommend that u check it once a week or so. it does get loose. i drove my car for like a day...a long day and yea it got looser so check it out from time to time

mrjaydeeone
09-02-2002, 06:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>i also recommend that u check it once a week or so. it does get loose. i drove my car for like a day...a long day and yea it got looser so check it out from time to time</div>

oh,...so thats what happened

BGR
09-12-2002, 09:13 AM
I just did this mod this morning while installing my CAI. Man, I can't believe that cable was so loose. With it tightened, there's immediate response, instead of that 'turbo lag' feel. I hated that.

The Idle RPM didn't raise either.

Gilhuly
09-12-2002, 10:04 AM
It does help to have the motor running while doing it, but please make sure you don't have any hair or clothing hanging out! Could get ugly quick.

4G64T
09-12-2002, 03:01 PM
what rpm should the I4 be at i think mine is around 1000 or a lil over is this where the rest of you guys have it?

Gilhuly
09-12-2002, 03:54 PM
Shouldn't be north of 800

Supernova
09-12-2002, 04:42 PM
Mines about 800-1000 warmed up in drive.

TJC
09-12-2002, 06:41 PM
Factory spec is 700 rpm +/-50 rpm when it is warmed up. I also put it in gear for a better reading. If the rpm is too high, it may not be warmed up yet or your accellerator cable is pulled too tightly. As for the possibility of it loosening up....... well, that shouldn't be the case b/c there are 2 bolts that hold that accellerator in place. It's a very low percentage that both bolts would loosen up. If you rpm is too low, back the idle speed screw out on the TB.