PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Hood Lifters (opinions?)

THX1139
09-02-2002, 01:09 PM
I used to be really into VWs before I got my 8G, and I was planning on doing this mod here, it involves a replacement for the stock hood prop..
I think they are a nice touch, what do you guys think? And I figure nobody has seen these for our cars?
heres the pic
http://www.dzstoys.com/images/hoodlift/200008.jpg
sorry its a so-so picture (of a so-so car!) but let me know what you guys think...anyone done this or am I gonna be the first?

RedGalant2k1
09-02-2002, 01:10 PM
you'd be the first :thumbsup: good luck man!!

dre24k
09-02-2002, 03:43 PM
this guy in my car club has an accord coupe probably 99 V6 and it has the
hydraulic lifts

so to come out a little cheaper go to the junkyard and get some from an accord and bolt them on

should be easy

Tiller
09-02-2002, 05:17 PM
if i spent an absurd amount of time under the hood, then yeah maybe... but i don't so... no thanks... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

pinoyesv6
09-02-2002, 05:51 PM
im not sure if mante has done his yet or not but he does have the shocks for em. ready to install. you can do it. uhm im gonna do mine one day for the trunk. first. just cuz i will have more speaker options with the removal of the torsion bars and, my wing is big and heavy...so it will help

Ghost Beat
09-02-2002, 09:02 PM
yea ive wanted to do this for a while too especially now with the cf hood on the way but its gona be a bitch to work with the cf hood so id prolly have to get it done some other way prolly a shop if they would id do the trunk first just in case too and also for the system

BIGMONEYDAY
09-02-2002, 11:21 PM
I've been wanting to do that with the hood and trunk for a while. I just haven't tackled it yet. I think doing the trunk will be easier to tackle 1st, but if you do mod your hood like that, make sure to give us some tip on the best way to do it.

Ghost Beat
09-03-2002, 01:52 AM
im hella interested in doing this but now will loose all my balls to try to do it to my cf hood might have to ask a shop like i said earlier ive wanted to do this since i started to mess around in the triunk and the trunk setup with the bars everywhere is takin up too much room for me so i wanted to do it to that and the hood so someone do it!

Galant 2NR
09-03-2002, 06:43 PM
I have a set on my 8G. They are Jamex brand designed for a VW A2/J2. It wasn't very hard just some good measuring and an L-bracket. I will post some pics soon.

THX1139
09-03-2002, 09:27 PM
nice. that would be helpful, thanks.

BIGMONEYDAY
09-04-2002, 02:46 AM
Yeah Galant 2NR, please post some pics and hints soon. I kinda curious in how you have these installed. I figure the attachment to the body wouldn't be too much of a problem, but I really need to see how you attached to the hood, and got it to close properly considering I don't really see too much room for the shocks to fold into.

Ghost Beat
09-04-2002, 04:37 PM
yea the same here fitting it wouldnt be too hard to the oem hood but i didnt see much room for them to fold into either so please post those pics! caus if it looks doable ill do it to my cf hood that should be on its way soon

youngin3
07-11-2008, 02:56 PM
I am getting paid this monday and I am gonna go get some lifters either from a junkyard or O'Reilly's. I will post pics when I get them on there, if I get them on there.

I was searching around to see if anyone had already done it and posted a picture, but I guess not...

qnz
07-11-2008, 03:01 PM
wow. this post is from 2002. theres a company called redline tuning that makes hood lifts for our application. Great mod. I can lift my hood with 1 hand now. Makes other non-hydrolic hoods seem so heavy.

DryBear
07-11-2008, 03:03 PM
http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-MITSU-GALANT-9903.html

Dominicano
07-11-2008, 03:41 PM
give him a A for effort, he did search but didn't wait for the new threads to load up.

youngin3
07-11-2008, 05:51 PM
give him a A for effort, he did search but didn't wait for the new threads to load up.

Well I was at work and was just taking a five min break.

I try not to be an asshole and ask stuff without seeing if it was already answered before...

Say I picked up some $20 replacement lifters for another car at O'Reillys, would it be tough for me to attach them?

qnz
07-11-2008, 08:13 PM
the pressure might be too low or too high so you might not have enough force to even lift the hood. plus the body length would also matter and if you get them too long, you migh not be able to close your hood

youngin3
07-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Well I could weigh the hood, and then add maybe 5 lbs so it can push it up and then the body length is just a simple measurement...

Reelax
07-12-2008, 12:47 AM
if u wanna do it yourself and estimate the weight, leverage angles, rod / damper length, spring rate etc., you are welcome to try it. personally i just let the engineers do that stuff and bought the product that is proven to work on our cars (the prototype was done by a TGC member).

these are the ones i'm talking about. they are cheap and work perfectly:

http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-MITSU-GALANT-9903.html

i have the ELITE version but they do have a cheaper version that works equally as well (but doesn't look as icy) and costs a little more than 1/2 as much... around $70 for the regular and $120 for the ELITE's. they include all hardware to mount and super clear instructions with pictures. install takes about 15-30 minutes.

airborneparainf82
07-12-2008, 09:54 AM
wow thats a pretty nice setup.... very tempting.

that would be sweet!

youngin3
07-12-2008, 02:13 PM
I just can't justify spending that much money so I don't have to open my hood manually... =\

I understand I am cheap, go ahead and start flaming me...

racesnos
07-12-2008, 05:03 PM
it's all in what you want to do with your car. IMO i think it's awesome. i've looked into this before, just never found the opportunity to buy them nor a reason yet. looks great though!

pinoyesv6
07-12-2008, 06:29 PM
I just can't justify spending that much money so I don't have to open my hood manually... =\

i totally agree with you. i can't justify spending so much money to have something life the hood for me.

i bought mine so i don't have to worry about that stupid hood prop.

djakay
07-13-2008, 12:53 AM
I got a pair off a salvaged lexus, will try to put them on tommorow...I'll let you guys know if they fit.