PDA

View Full Version : a BIG electical problem....PLEASE help...

goldie_415
07-13-2003, 03:29 PM
i had a aftermarket kenwood that i installed. a couple days ago the radio, interior lights, keyless door locks, warning lights all stopped working. i took the car to the dealership, and i tried to be slick and put the stock radio back in so it would be covered under warranty, but no luck, they figured me out (i left the remote in the armrest [oops], and there were marks on the screws that the screwdriver made)and didnt cover it. however they did tell me that there was a short that kept blowing the fuse under the hood. i guess when i had the kenwood in some wires fell loose and shorted something out. can someone offer suggestions so i dont have to pay mitsu 80 bucks an hour to fix it.

pinoyesv6
07-13-2003, 10:20 PM
you check all your fuses and your fused links?

uhm check the interior lights. go to the auto parts store and buy a set of interior lights, there could have been a power surget that might have damaged the lights and burned them out.

removed the stock head unit and stick your head into the center console and smell. smell for soemthing burnt, you might find out what's wrong.

if worse comes to worse, hide the remote and find another dealer. that might work.

hol on. i read the post again. u said u had the thing installed. take the car back to the installer and tell them to fix it or give u money to get it fixed. if you're getting sum1 to install somethign for you, get it installed right.

goldie_415
07-14-2003, 03:58 AM
i installed the radio my self. when i took it out to put the stock radio back in. the left front wire had came undone and out of the elec. tape. that might have shorted something. But the stock radio is working fine now but it keeps resetting when i turn the car off.

SilverKnight
07-14-2003, 04:29 AM
you probably have the the yellow ingnition wire touching some where on the car since you say the radio resets itself.

goldie_415
07-14-2003, 09:24 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>you probably have the the yellow ingnition wire touching some where on the car </div>

where is that located?

Turboutlaw
07-14-2003, 09:58 AM
these same exact symptoms have happened to me before. The major fueses that I would first check are in the engine compartment in the fuse box in there. There will be two that are in there own little yellow compartment thing, one is for stereo, and one for interior lights. Pull up on it and use like pliers to take them out. Replace them and see if it was the problem even if you can't totally tell that they are blown. If one doesnt work it will make all that stuff not work. Give it a try...

goldie_415
07-14-2003, 10:37 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>these same exact symptoms have happened to me before. The major fueses that I would first check are in the engine compartment in the fuse box in there. There will be two that are in there own little yellow compartment thing, one is for stereo, and one for interior lights. Pull up on it and use like pliers to take them out. Replace them and see if it was the problem even if you can't totally tell that they are blown. If one doesnt work it will make all that stuff not work. Give it a try...</div>

the dealer said it was a short, and that when they replaceed the fuse it blew immediatley.

SilverKnight
07-16-2003, 03:22 AM
if your saying the radio resets itself it is because the yellow ingnition wire is not hooked up that is why the time and radio presets reset thenself other wise known as the memory wire which does carry a 12volt charge through it so that is what is probly touching the chassis some where causing the short. i will go out to my car tommorrow to check what the color of the wire is on my G.

goldie_415
07-16-2003, 03:14 PM
thanks i will need to what color and where exactly its located...thanx any body have ideas as to what is wrong with all the rest of the problems im having ( keyless door, interior lights, warning lights?)

cdaw2001ES
07-29-2003, 08:23 AM
The constant +12 is red-black, Pin 11 on the radio connector, if you are shorting this wire to ground, then you are blowing that fuse all the time, same fuse does the dome light etc...

SilverKnight
07-29-2003, 08:29 AM
holly sh!t man i forgot to post what color the wire was for you. Very sorry man it sliped my mind.