PDA

View Full Version : So ashamed of myself, tried to clear corner lights today

Gladiator
07-13-2003, 06:54 PM
I followed the instructions in the FAQs and did everything correctly. (I worked on the left light first). After removing the headlight in 20 minutes I could not find a way to remove the orange piece.

I thought about the drilling method but was still afraid that the reflector would not come off and I would end up with a headlight with a tiny hole. I tried to pull the reflector out but it was too tight.

After 30 minutes of scratching up the reflector I gave up because I was afraid to scratch up the silver part. Decided to put the headlight back then grille.

I don't get how people can clear their corners in 10 minutes. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif Anyone near the New York Chapter can give me a hand provided I remove my headlights? I don't have much to compensate because I am only a college student and this car is 1/2 mine. Or someone can provide me with more extensive instructions on how to remove the orange reflector.

Thanks a lot. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

ChromeGalant
07-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Just use a flat tip screwdriver and go thru the corner light hole.. and dont be scared when u do it.. just PRY that bastard loose!

J
07-13-2003, 07:30 PM
here are your extensive instructions from a previous post of mine.
>>>
i think if i were to redo it, i'd open it up. because you won't scratch anything, and you can just buy some silicone and reseal it good as new. i think that's the better way anyway.

but here goes...
for smashing it inside
warning: you're gonna end up scratching something. you can be careful and minimize the scratching, but it's gonna happen. it's up to you if you wanna go through with it.

For the 2000-2001 galants. take off the plastic grill in the center. just take a flathead screwdriver and push on the tabs that hold it in. i forget how many tabs, there are just look at it from the top and you'll see the dark grey plastic things that you can push down on to release the grill. one is sideways like put your head on an angle to the left and you have to push the tab to the right.(it's on top) Get at it from the side, the others by pushing down. just take a close look.
note: when you're done and reattaching the grill, be sure and put ALL those dark plastic things back on the grill first and push grill onto the car,(not put them on car first) otherwise they'll break off

disconnect the headlight(squeeze sides together and pull out plug) and turn signal plugs(rotate then remove).

unscrew a headlight. i think it's 4 screws. two on front one on inside of quarter panel, one on top.

take out your headlight by sliding it and wiggling it towards the middle of the car.

you might want to take our your headlight bulb now so as to not break it in some freak accident. just take off the rubber cover on back, flip the metal clip and remove bulb without scratching/touching it.

take a long flathead screwdriver. cover the tip in a thin layer of black electrical tape to prevent scratching.

go in through the turn signal hole. take flathead and press it against the reflector tabs that are anchored into the plastic silver shiny part of headlight. then while pressing it down, twist the screwdriver to lift the reflector(amber piece) up and hopefully out of the tab hole. just twist and you'll see it rise up. go around to all the other tabs and press the screwdriver tight against the reflector piece and bottom of silver thing then twist it to lift it.

you should try not to scratch things but you need to use force to do this. try moving the reflector towards the headlight hole. you need to free it in that direction.

keep twisting until it breaks a bit and rotate it towards the headlight bulb hole. you now have two options once the reflector is free. you can break it apart in the turn signal housing, or break it apart in the headlight bulb housing on the side of that silver cap.

i broke it apart in the turn signal. more people recommend the headlight hole but i didn't want to scratch stuff up on that side. up to you.

so, for the turn signal hole breakup, move the reflector piece so that it's flat against the base of the headlight. here is where most of the scratching happens. cuz you move the reflector around and it will touch the base.

move the reflector piece towards the hole, reach in there with wire cutters and squeeze on the reflector and it will crack. shake the headlight around to reposition the reflector shards and keep breaking it up with the wire cutters. again, more scratching unless you're careful and fill the turn signal hole with some cloth or tape to protect the shiny stuff.

eventually all the shards will be small enough to remove from the hole. you can shake it around to get more of it out, or use a vaccuum. or wash headlight with distilled water but let it dry completely first.

my other warning is to be careful not to do too much damage to the turn signal hole itself. you'd have to be workin it hard, so it's not really a problem, but don't jack it up too much otherwise your seal isn't good when you put the bulb back in.

just clean up the headlight from amber shards, then put it back in car. put headlight bulb back too. slide it in by wiggling it from the middle of the car. be sure not to crimp the wires running behind the headlight. put in turn signal bulb and rotate it to plug the seal. then reattach headlight plug. do other headlight. then put dark plastic thingies on the grill and push grill back onto car, it should click.

done. good luck.
>>

tribal
07-13-2003, 07:57 PM
and dude, dont be ashamed, i printed out the directions from the tutorial and i sat there and did it and it probably took me hour + to do the first headlight. But once I got that done i did the other no problem. i'd help you but im in CT. so if you're going to be down here, drop me a pm or somethin. good luck!

Lazarus
07-13-2003, 08:30 PM
a trick I learned when doing a couple is you 1st wrap the flat head in tape so you don't scratch the lense. then you put teh flat head in the break between the amber lense and the actual housing. once you have it in there rotate the screw driver so it pops the lense up and out then you have an angle to work with. I don't break the lense til after I have it flopping around the housing.

mrjaydeeone
07-13-2003, 10:48 PM
I did same as Laz...
and I scuffed up the inside of the lense rather then scratching it up
LOL

Khopari
07-13-2003, 11:00 PM
haha,, thats y i dont do shii like that by my self,,

Kermit
07-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Don't feel bad man, I tried like an hour the other day on my 02 G. I wound up just putting that bitch back on.

ScOtTiE_MaK
07-14-2003, 11:54 AM
friendlyneighborhoodplaya (Denver) knows how to do it...he did mine for me...made me all say you bastard...hes does em in like 5 min..dont ask me how but he does.....i think the 2002 ones are harder to get off but he got the skillz....he lives in queens to so hit him up

Scott

Censee
07-14-2003, 02:52 PM
i can do it in like 5 minutes too.... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif ..the more afraid u are of scracthing the thing, the more u will scratch it.....just pry it out fast and hard,cuz the more u fool around with it the more u will scratch it.....one techinque i use to to wrap whatever u are prying it off with a cloth...i wrap a flathead screwdriver with a thin white shirt..then just use pliers to cut it up into tiny pieces from the center hole

vic_v_jr
07-15-2003, 02:39 PM
Man, I had tried as well and I gave up. They are clear now thanks to a Rod who had experience doing it.

Serstylz2
06-28-2004, 01:54 PM
And I still am stuck at step 1, removing the clips. I got 2 off now, idk how tho.

Serstylz2
06-28-2004, 01:57 PM
nm this post

TWISTED II
06-28-2004, 06:37 PM
i got a kitchen fork and bent the stabber parts at a 90 degree angle and it popped right off. it ended up in 1 piece, so i had to crack the stupid lens inside the housing, but it wasn't that bad. everyone says don't be afraid, haha. this poor kid is going to go in there with an air hammer. just wear ear plugs when you do it, the less cracking you hear the better https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Zero_4073
06-29-2004, 02:11 AM
Just open up your headlight housings. I wrote it all out for someone on GF.
http://galantforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.p...?t=3680&start=0 ('http://galantforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3680&start=0')

GEMINITHUG
06-29-2004, 01:16 PM
i did the same as twisted, lol a bent kitchen for, hey what ever works right.. ill help u if u still wanna clear them i live in farrockaway, let me know

jusmills
06-29-2004, 01:32 PM
I bent the tip of a butter knife (gotta be one with a good handle otherwise you'll bust yourself in the eye!). Bend it like 90 deg.--just the very tip, jam it in the hole and put the little tip under the reflector--then just yank the bastard--it'll crack or break and stuff will come out either through the signal light hole or your can fineagle the broken reflector bits through the main headlamp hole.

TWISTED II
06-29-2004, 04:40 PM
if all else fails, and the rents will kick your ass for destroying kitchen utensils, go to a hardware store, and they sell pry tools. just get a 90 degree one.

pinoyesv6
06-29-2004, 05:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TWISTED II)</div><div class='quotemain'>if all else fails, and the rents will kick your ass for destroying kitchen utensils, go to a hardware store, and they sell pry tools. Â*just get a 90 degree one.</div>

that or go to the dollar store. i bought a screwdriver from the dollar store, bent that. did the mod and then bent it back partially straight. i wouldn't try to bend like a craftsman or snap on screwdriver but them dollar store screw drivers' low quality make them perfect for bending.

Gladiator
07-14-2004, 04:26 PM
wow its been a year and I still haven't cleared them corners

http://ewnet.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/avatar3710_0.gif

Zero_4073
07-14-2004, 04:36 PM
Tellin' you, man. Just open your headlight housings. It's simple. It seems a lot easier than pulling it out in pieces.

J Reezy
07-14-2004, 04:39 PM
damn, I think it needs to be a requirment to be on this site. that is the VERY first thing I did to my G. it took me 2 hours but I had a cloths hanger, screwdiver and wire cutters. Now I hear people put the shit in the oven

qnz
07-14-2004, 04:52 PM
u weenie. just put some strength into it. and if u fuk up, make it your excuse to put jdm lights on. and that would mean jdm grill and bumper also. and since u wont be needing your stock grill + bumper, u can give them to me

Gladiator
07-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Tellin' you, man. Just open your headlight housings. It's simple. It seems a lot easier than pulling it out in pieces.

yeah but I heard its hard to reseal everything

56chop
07-27-2004, 10:13 AM
kinda hard to explain this tool that i used but if you get what im talking about then you can get this down in 15 min flat. the little tool looks like the thing the dentist uses on you to scrap your teeth clean you can get it in a set at autozone or prolly and auto store round you just get the one that has a little hook on it stick it through the blinker hole and inbetween the headlight and the orange piece when you think you got it pretty well in there give it a little pull BE CAREFULL if you pull to hard when it brakes you prolly scratch the reflective shit just keep braking it off the get a pair of wire cutters and cut the big pieces into small it took me 10 minutes to do both lights good luck