PDA

View Full Version : when buying exhaust/muffler...

bboyck
09-02-2002, 07:38 PM
i know this is asked time and time again and everything... and i'll even say a preemptive 'sorry guys'.

I did the search and it didn't answer this question i had. If I'm going to buy an aftermarket muffer/exhaust... i want to buy it and be able to have it sort of bolt off and bolt on... as little welding as possible (going to sell car in future)... so...

When I'm buying this muffler/exhaust, should I specifically buy one with an 'axle back'? I noticed PinoyES mentioned something about an axle back and being able to do this...

TIA --

pinoyesv6
09-02-2002, 07:42 PM
the easiest way to do it is to make a custom axle back. just tell them thats what u want and to retain the flanges and all that cuz u want to bolt the exhaust on and off. just make sure u tell them that and u get ur old exhaust back. but of course they can cut the piping wherever u want and put a flange there possibly and put a flange there for the stock piping. byt yea either a catback or an axle back starting at the stock flange would work

Fishboy55
09-02-2002, 07:43 PM
If you buy an axle back, it will encompass the piping from the axle back to the muffler. You can flange both pieces. That way if you sell the car you can just unbolt the axle back with the performance muffler and bolt the stock axle back and muffler in its place. It's a little costly and will involve some welding.

Chip

Tiller
09-03-2002, 12:44 PM
i don't think there is any option that will not need some welding... I had alot of welding... welded the new pipe to the stock pipe & muffler, then welded on 2 hangers...

went pretty quick though... if i end up selling the exhaust i'll just do it all over again... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif