PDA

View Full Version : Turbo

queball
09-02-2002, 09:08 PM
Hey guys has any one put a turbo on there 7g? im just wondering how hard this would be to do.. they have a few of them on ebay right now but im not even sure where it would even go under the hood, any help here??

QnzMostWanted
09-02-2002, 09:17 PM
check the FAQ, i posted a turbo installation guide

2True
09-02-2002, 10:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(queball)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey guys has any one put a turbo on there 7g? im just wondering how hard this would be to do.. they have a few of them on ebay right now but im not even sure where it would even go under the hood, any help here??</div>

Whoa...whoa...whoa, wait a minute. The Turbo's on Ebay are not real turbo's. They are just an electric fan you mount to your intkake manifold. They do NOT work.

There is no "bolt on" turbocharger for the 7g as of now. If you want to turbo your 4g64 engine then you will need to fabricate something that will work, i.e. NyGalant4G63T's turbo tutorial. TGC member Craig R. (g96nt) is the only one I know of that has successfuly Turbo'd the 4G64.
The other option is to motor swap for the 4g63 and turbo that, it has a bolt on turbo and better compression.

Either way look at spending like $3000 :wink:

Kain
09-03-2002, 07:55 AM
Actually, Craig has a '63. Turboing the '64 is easy and relatively cheap. All turbos are "bolt on" I.E. there's no welding (except with the Intercooler) All you need is the Turbo Manifold from a '63, a Turbo that will bolt up (you'll hafta find one that suits your needs there, but there are many out there) you'll have to get creative with the plumbing for the intake and what not, and you'll probably want either a turbo ECU or a stand alone unit. This is where I get out of my league though, as I really don't know the importance of the ECU in adding a turbo. You'll than just need some "little" stuff like a BOV and intercooler. Of course I'm assuming you've already made all the necessary preparations to the engine for the turbo before hand (higher flow of the head, bigger injectors, whatever else you need to run the turbo you want) Not something you'd want to really try in your driveway, but if you know what you're doing you could do it in a weekend. If you don't know what you're doing it's best to find someone who does to help you.

Dark Anghell
09-03-2002, 11:37 AM
My guess is that the ECU will deliver more fuel to the engine. Lack of fuel is probably one of the main causes of engine failure. What happens is that for example the best ratio for fuel vs. air is 1:1. As soon as you install a turbo, the ratio changes to 1:7. See what I mean. The car needs more fuel to work the way it should, and produce max horsepower.

Jesse
09-03-2002, 12:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pavel)</div><div class='quotemain'>My guess is that the ECU will deliver more fuel to the engine. Lack of fuel is probably one of the main causes of engine failure. What happens is that for example the best ratio for fuel vs. air is 1:1. As soon as you install a turbo, the ratio changes to 1:7. See what I mean. The car needs more fuel to work the way it should, and produce max horsepower.</div>

More fuel comes from an upgrade in injectors, like 450cc. Then using some sort of fuel mapping program, example, Apexi s-afc (super air/fuel controller). You can adjust the amount of fuel that gets injected to the appropriate air. You'll also want to upgrade or re-wire the fuel pump.

If you strip all the turbo parts from an eclipse/talon/laser, then you can build your own car with the only addition being electronic components.

The ECU just helps to change rev limitors, has a few more sensors, and few other small but yet somewhat important things.

2True
09-03-2002, 01:12 PM
So let's say *hypothetically* that I found a 95 TSi at the junkyard :wink: I go there and pull the Turbo off that sucker, I will want to pull that car's ECU also? Does this rule out the need for an s-afc?

What I meant by " the 7g doesn't have a 'Bolt-on' turbo" was that you can not order one from the back cover of Import Tuner Magazine. It takes a little invention and inginuity to get it done.

QnzMostWanted
09-03-2002, 01:53 PM
well i'm not 100% on the 4g64 turbo, but as far as i know, u wont need the ECu, but u will need other parts, in the FAQ it tells u all the parts u need to get the turbo up and running, thats the guide that i gave my mechanic when i turboed the 64 before i went 4g63t

g96nt
09-03-2002, 02:44 PM
yeah.... I have a 4g63.. not a 4g64

but turbo-charging a 4g64 isn't all too hard.. bet I could Do it in a Weekend, if Someone threw Th parts @ me =0]
(hint hint)

in any case...keep your ECU.. keep your FPR.. and get an AFC... and some 390cc injectors (1g a/t DSM)

get a 95+ turbo oil-pan, and the RRE oil-feed

get the B&M oil-cooler, and upgrade your A/T if you have one (valve/spring-job, and better fluid cooler)

2True
09-03-2002, 03:32 PM
Word, sorry Craig I could have swore that you had a 64.... :dumbass:

So basically everyone that has gone turbo has a 4g63 huh?

I hinted at it, but it's true... I found a 95 TSi at some dudes house up on blocks. Apparently the engine seized :shock:

Is it still good to try and use this turbo? He'll sell me all the parts I can gather for $150. Not a bad deal I'm thinking.... Any thoughts?

schick
09-03-2002, 03:54 PM
DUDE! for $150? DO IT!

Most of the time a seizes engine will not effect the turbo or intake stuff, unless bad stuff went out the exhaust manifold and into the turbo. Most of the time if the turbo looks physicaly OK then it shoud be fine (look at rotors, shake for debris inside, spin rotors-should spin freely)

QnzMostWanted
09-03-2002, 04:16 PM
ditto

2True
09-03-2002, 05:15 PM
YA I'm gonna grab it. I just wanted to see your reactions.. LOL

If I decide not to use it, I'll sell it to someone for $1000 https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

For once I have the hook up here in Alaska,
only took like 3 years :roll:

Dark Anghell
09-03-2002, 10:50 PM
I forgot who was saying this one forum, but pretty much the person said that if I want to turbo my 4g64...I have to get the DOHC cam. I know that the head produces 30-40 more HP when it's NA, but are the other advantages to that swap. Also I looked things up in the manual, and it says that both SOHC and DOHC have same compression ratios (I thought that DOHC has like 10:1 compression :?: ) .

Also I know a guy who has like 4 DSM's that he/I can take pars off of. Do I need anything else besides DOHC head? Things like ECU or anything like that?
If I go turbo is there a hole for a knock sensor in the block (4g64 block). If not, then do I need one?

queball
09-04-2002, 02:11 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(queball)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey guys has any one put a turbo on there 7g? im just wondering how hard this would be to do.. they have a few of them on ebay right now but im not even sure where it would even go under the hood, any help here??</div>

Whoa...whoa...whoa, wait a minute. The Turbo's on Ebay are not real turbo's. They are just an electric fan you mount to your intkake manifold. They do NOT work.

There is no "bolt on" turbocharger for the 7g as of now. If you want to turbo your 4g64 engine then you will need to fabricate something that will work, i.e. NyGalant4G63T's turbo tutorial. TGC member Craig R. (g96nt) is the only one I know of that has successfuly Turbo'd the 4G64.
The other option is to motor swap for the 4g63 and turbo that, it has a bolt on turbo and better compression.

Either way look at spending like $3000 :wink:</div>
actully no there are realy trubos made by mitubishi on there under mitsubishi turbo they are real all the way down to the hookups for the oil lines and the manifold or were ever it goes. check tit out..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=1854671985 ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1854671985')

jluv97
09-04-2002, 08:14 AM
It came off a car with 100K miles on it....do you know what 100K is in turbo years.

Turbos make your car age like a dog bro. That thing is probably on its last legs, if it even has legs left.

2True
09-04-2002, 12:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(queball)</div><div class='quotemain'>
actully no there are realy trubos made by mitubishi on there under mitsubishi turbo they are real Â*all the way down to the hookups for the oil lines and the manifold or were ever it goes. check tit out..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1854671985</div>

LOL, that's hilarious. It was an actaul turbo https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Josh may have a point, but I think if you manage to clean it up nice, polish it up and buy all new hoses and clamps and such it would work.

Big H Killa
09-04-2002, 12:43 PM
If it's a real turbo then get it but don't try to install it yourself if you don't know where it would go. I don't know what anyone else said b/c I'm to lazy to read this entire post but if it's a real turbo get it but don't install it yourself b/c you don't wanna fuck everything up.

g96nt
09-04-2002, 01:48 PM
if it's the turbo in the picture... it's absolutely *NOT* a DSM turbo

and that thing is in *ROUGH* shape..

before you bid..ask the seller if it's *REALLY* a dsm turbo

TurboGalant
09-04-2002, 02:05 PM
My '64 is turbo. SOHC and all.
New tranny will be delivered tomorrow, from Level10.
Now all I need to do is get the turbo rebuilt and I'll be good to go.
I did run into a small problem after it was turboed. I had to get cooler spark plugs, I was getting early detonations.
I had a stronger fuel pump, MSD ignition, & fuel management unit installed. MSD is not required, but it doesn't hurt. Side mount intercooler, and very creative piping.

2True
09-04-2002, 02:39 PM
Can you maybe get some pics up of your engine?

Very interested as to the setup, thanks

A1C Walker :wink:

queball
09-04-2002, 03:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g96nt)</div><div class='quotemain'>if it's the turbo in the picture... it's absolutely *NOT* a Â*DSM turbo

and that thing is in *ROUGH* shape..

before you bid..ask the seller if it's *REALLY* a dsm turbo</div>
Theres more of them on ebay i was just using that one to show that they are out there on ebay..

g96nt
09-04-2002, 06:30 PM
understood.... but that auction says "1990-94 MT..."

sooo I was just warning Everyone =0]

Dark Anghell
09-04-2002, 10:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TurboGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>My '64 is turbo. Â*SOHC and all.
New tranny will be delivered tomorrow, from Level10.
Now all I need to do is get the turbo rebuilt and I'll be good to go.
I did run into a small problem after it was turboed. Â*I had to get cooler spark plugs, I was getting early detonations. Â*
I had a stronger fuel pump, MSD ignition, & fuel management unit installed. Â*MSD is not required, but it doesn't hurt. Â*Side mount intercooler, and very creative piping.</div>

How much did you have to put into the turbo install (including all the parts)? How many do you have on the car? How long have you had the turbo for?

Dark Anghell
09-04-2002, 10:31 PM
This question is probably for Craig...On the yahoo groups you guys were saying something about a sensor on the DOHC head that is totally different from the sensor on SOHC, and in order to make it work, something has to be rewired...what's that all about?
Also any advise on DOHC swap? I have a friend with a couple of DSM's sitting in his yard, all have 4g63t in them, and those cars are used for parts :shock: . What parts do I need to take off in order to make everything work?

2True
09-04-2002, 10:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pavel)</div><div class='quotemain'>This question is probably for Craig..I have a friend with a couple of DSM's sitting in his yard, all have 4g63t in them, and those cars are used for parts Â*:shock: . What parts do I need to take off in order to make everything work?</div>

I was kinda wondering the same thing.... :puzzled1: I don't want to get to this guys yard and fork over $150 just to find out I forgot something important.

TurboGalant
09-05-2002, 03:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>How much did you have to put into the turbo install (including all the parts)? How many do you have on the car? How long have you had the turbo for?
</div>

I intially put $2K in to it. That included the parts: Manifold, Turbo, fuel pump, pillar, gauges, sensors, and exhaust upgrade. From some problems that occured I put another $1K into trouble shooting it, then adding a MSD ignition, FMU, different fuel pump. There are some other odds and ends I can't think of right now.

I just put $4400 into a new transmission. The turbo made short work of the factory automatic. I have already blown the turbo, so it needs to get rebuilt - another $300. I had an operational turbo Galant for 6 months or so before the turbo went and the transmission followed right after. But it is about to be running again real soon. Transmission got here at lunch, and I'll be dropping it off at the shop first thing in the morning.

Turboing your car is going to be rather pricey, but if you can handle it, it is a whole lot of fun!!!

g96nt
09-05-2002, 05:41 PM
what year DSM's?

2g's?

why not do it right?
pull yourself a wiring harness, and Wire the car.

then Just use the 95 ECU/harness/and Any DSM engine you'd like

if you don't feel like doing That.. find out what your buddy Wants for one of the Wiring harnesses for *ME* because I need one.. and I've been too lazy to get one.

Dark Anghell
09-06-2002, 11:09 PM
This is the deal...this guy is my friends friend. So I have to go through my friend to get to that guy. I asked him about 2nd. gen. eclipses in his yard...he might have them. The engines are not complete. If he does have awiring harness...I might as well get one for myself, if the price is right. BTW Craig, how much did you pay for your wiring harness?