PDA

View Full Version : what does an aftermarket intake have that a stock one dosnt?

Sowndwayv
09-02-2002, 10:15 PM
i have read of different types of intakes..such as CAI, and short ram. i do not know specifics of what each do, and am curious as to what advantages it has over the stock intake. i remembe reading somewhere before that aftermarket intakes dont really do much besides providing a deeper sound, and better looks under the hood. Is there any noticeable gains on an I4?

Would it be possible to purchase a cone filter and install that in place of the airbox that comes with the car? If this could be done, would there be a sound/performance changes? What can be expected from just the less restrictive cone filter <im not sure about price on this>, compared to a $300 aftermarket intake?

pinoyesv6
09-02-2002, 11:07 PM
first of all why get an aftermarket intake. why, to increase air flow to the combustion chamber. the MAS detects how much air is being sucked into the motor. more air more fuel bigger explosion and that means power. jsut kinda like nos in a way. nos is pretty much works because it brings an extra boost of air into the combustion since air is a big part of combustion its like fuel to the fire. so yea thats y u need air

ok why does an aftermarket intake work better than oem. look at the piping on the OEM intake. its like a bent up straw. try sucking thru a bent up straw. hard isn't it? well thats what ur car goes thru. with an aftermarket intake, the piping is all smooth. now try sucking thru a smooth straw, easy right? so yea ur car doesn't have to work hard to get air. also notice how much air ur getting sucking thru the bent straw. not that many.

now for the cone filter. that will add some benefits. u don't ahve to suck the air thru that maze of bent pipes. the cone filter will also have more surface area to accept air. its like with the oem filter its like sucking thru a str8 cofee stirrer. and with a cone filter thru a regular straw. u get more air sucking thru the cone filter than thru that maze of piping and that thick ass restrictive filter.

now for the sound. what is that sound that u hear from the intake right? and why don't u hear it with the oem intake. well the sound u hear is air. air being sucked thru the filter, air flowing thru the piping. the oem intake also has resonators in it to make things quiet and yea they are restrictive too

as for the short ram cold air difference. well as we all know cold air means dense air. so yea denser air means in a way like more air. kinda like what turbos and supercharges do. the compress the air so its more dense. and yea that means power gains. so y cold air. well it relocates the air filter so that it can get cooler air instead of getting the air from inside the engine bay where it can get hot.

as for the gains between a bolt on cone filter an a cold air intake (which btw u can get for under 150) is that the cold air intake will produce more than double the hp than a cone filter bolted onto the stock intake

Sowndwayv
09-02-2002, 11:46 PM
thanks a lot for the info man..it cleared up a lot for me. really helpful. well what would i need for the bolt on cone filter, how much would i be lookin to spend, and where at? would i be able to use the filter later if i do purchase an intake? or do they usually come with their own filters? thanks again..and yeah, i did try to search..maybe im blind, but i just coldnt find anything

Auto-9
09-03-2002, 12:04 AM
I believe it's around 40 bucks for a K&N cone filter. Also, if you purchase an intake they will come with their own filters, no need to worry about that part.

pinoyesv6
09-03-2002, 12:08 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sowndwayv)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanks a lot for the info man..it cleared up a lot for me. really helpful. well what would i need for the bolt on cone filter, how much would i be lookin to spend, and where at? would i be able to use the filter later if i do purchase an intake? or do they usually come with their own filters? thanks again..and yeah, i did try to search..maybe im blind, but i just coldnt find anything</div>

uhm if you want a budget cone filter. go to procarparts.com and look for the 95-99 eclipse turbo intakes. those will work

if you want to spend some money for something decent. go to roadraceengineering.com and look on their 3g eclipse intake page, they got a k&n cone filter and adaptor that should fit

Sowndwayv
09-03-2002, 12:09 AM
anyone have any testimonials as to what kinda gains they got with after installin a CAI on an I4, like when does the intake come into action..is it active thru all rpms? and to get kinda technical, what kinda hp gains can be expected, if any?

hm. now i know what CAI does..what about the short ram?..cai still better?

Tiller
09-03-2002, 09:20 AM
CAI is better, it sucks colder air, the short ram draws your air from right inside the engine bay, which is hotter...

heat is not your friend if you want to make more power...

either way, you'll get a max hp gain of about 3-7hp depending on the application... nothing you'll really be able to notice by the seat of your pants...

oh, and the aftermarket intakes have some cool sticker son them... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

pinoyesv6
09-03-2002, 09:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sowndwayv)</div><div class='quotemain'>anyone have any testimonials as to what kinda gains they got with after installin a CAI on an I4, like when does the intake come into action..is it active thru all rpms? and to get kinda technical, what kinda hp gains can be expected, if any?

hm. now i know what CAI does..what about the short ram?..cai still better?</div>

i build intakes as a hobby. and yea out of all the intakes i have made used etc etc i seen the most power come out of the cold air intake so far.

as for when ur intake is used? its used whenever ur car is running. your car needs air for it to run and yea, thats where it gets teh air, thru the intake

as for cai vs short ram, a cold air intake should give u double the gains than a short ram would...

Fishboy55
09-03-2002, 09:46 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i build intakes as a hobby. and yea out of all the intakes i have made used etc etc i seen the most power come out of the cold air intake so far. </div>

So when can you and I get together to convert my short ram to a CAI Allan? I know I've asked about it before, but having just gotten the price from Injen of $95, I know we can do it cheaper. You name the date and I'll be there. (Except for the next two Saturdays. I'm in Orlando) I really want to get this done. Remember I have fog lights, so we'll need to secure the filter some place else. Thanks in advance. Either PM me or reply here for when we can do this.

Chip

pinoyesv6
09-03-2002, 09:59 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i build intakes as a hobby. and yea out of all the intakes i have made used etc etc i seen the most power come out of the cold air intake so far. </div>

So when can you and I get together to convert my short ram to a CAI Allan? I know I've asked about it before, but having just gotten the price from Injen of $95, I know we can do it cheaper. You name the date and I'll be there. (Except for the next two Saturdays. I'm in Orlando) I really want to get this done. Remember I have fog lights, so we'll need to secure the filter some place else. Thanks in advance. Either PM me or reply here for when we can do this.

Chip</div>

hey chip jsut say when. im pretty free monday thru thursday after 4. just tell me in advance so i can see if i have plans. bing some tools to take apart the intake and a tape measure. i usually keep my tools or the basic ones in the galant but im waiting til they kick the freshman off campus b4 i bring my car in. im guessing its gonna cost u about 20 dollars tops to do it. 5 for paint, 10 for pipe and like 3 dollars for that fitting. hopefuilly it will be as easy as i think it will be...

Fishboy55
09-03-2002, 10:15 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>hey chip jsut say when. im pretty free monday thru thursday after 4. just tell me in advance so i can see if i have plans. bing some tools to take apart the intake and a tape measure. i usually keep my tools or the basic ones in the galant but im waiting til they kick the freshman off campus b4 i bring my car in. im guessing its gonna cost u about 20 dollars tops to do it. 5 for paint, 10 for pipe and like 3 dollars for that fitting. hopefuilly it will be as easy as i think it will be...</div>

Let's wait till after I get back from vacation on the 14th. Then I will have my evenings pretty free. I can be home by about 5. I'll PM you and we can set a date. We might have to cut the existing intake to get the curve right, but I'll let you figure all that out. If we need to buy the pipe ahead of time, let me know that too and we should be good to go. Thank, man. I really appreciate borrowing your expertise.

pinoyesv6
09-03-2002, 10:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>hey chip jsut say when. im pretty free monday thru thursday after 4. just tell me in advance so i can see if i have plans. bing some tools to take apart the intake and a tape measure. i usually keep my tools or the basic ones in the galant but im waiting til they kick the freshman off campus b4 i bring my car in. im guessing its gonna cost u about 20 dollars tops to do it. 5 for paint, 10 for pipe and like 3 dollars for that fitting. hopefuilly it will be as easy as i think it will be...</div>

Let's wait till after I get back from vacation on the 14th. Then I will have my evenings pretty free. I can be home by about 5. I'll PM you and we can set a date. We might have to cut the existing intake to get the curve right, but I'll let you figure all that out. If we need to buy the pipe ahead of time, let me know that too and we should be good to go. Thank, man. I really appreciate borrowing your expertise.</div>

hey chip yea we should order the parts ahead of time. especially if u want ot use mandrel bent pipes and silicon fittings. shouldn't take use more than 10 minutes to figure out how to do it. i can probably teach u how to do it too. the hardest part i guess is getting the guts to cut up the nice shiny injen pipe haha

Fishboy55
09-03-2002, 10:43 AM
Well if you want to get together this afternoon we can. Wifey has plans after work. I can be home by about 5 or so depending on traffic from Towson. Then I can pick up tools and meet you. At least we can figure out what we need and start rounding it up. That way when I come back, we can just hook it up and roll. We'll saw the shiny injen pipe together, that'll reduce some of my anxiety. LOL

pinoyesv6
09-03-2002, 12:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well if you want to get together this afternoon we can. Wifey has plans after work. I can be home by about 5 or so depending on traffic from Towson. Then I can pick up tools and meet you. At least we can figure out what we need and start rounding it up. That way when I come back, we can just hook it up and roll. We'll saw the shiny injen pipe together, that'll reduce some of my anxiety. LOL</div>

that sounds good i got a meeting at 7 but i know it won't take that long. just call up my cell u probably still got my # or just PM me...i'll be online

Sowndwayv
09-03-2002, 08:43 PM
would building ur own cold air intake from scratch be possible? if so, would it be cheaper than purchasing a name brant CAI? lastly, intakes are supposd to help increase a cars miles per gallon right?

Auto-9
09-03-2002, 09:38 PM
Also modifying your intake is illegal I believe...AEM and such are CARB exempt which makes them street legal.

pinoyesv6
09-03-2002, 09:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sowndwayv)</div><div class='quotemain'>would building ur own cold air intake from scratch be possible?</div>

yea i've done it several times

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sowndwayv)</div><div class='quotemain'> if so, would it be cheaper than purchasing a name brant CAI?</div>

not necessarily. it can be a pain in the ass and can take bunches or research. im guessing i spent about maybe 200 dollars on mine and mine isn't even done yet

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sowndwayv)</div><div class='quotemain'> lastly, intakes are supposd to help increase a cars miles per gallon right?</div>

not necessarily. you will most likely lose gas mileage than gain...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Also modifying your intake is illegal I believe...AEM and such are CARB exempt which makes them street legal.</div>

intakes like aem and injen are either CARB pending or exempt. u will need this exemption if you live in a state that conforms to CARB standards

toc8g
09-03-2002, 11:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sowndwayv)</div><div class='quotemain'>would building ur own cold air intake from scratch be possible? if so, would it be cheaper than purchasing a name brant CAI? lastly, intakes are supposd to help increase a cars miles per gallon right?</div>

Building your own intake is very possible if you have the time and effort to build one. You also have to have a good idea and a game plan. Allan is very diy kinda guy and very skilled. I am not sayin non of us are diy peeps or or anything like that,...all I am saying is some things are better left to those willing to put the time and effort into building those kinda things. On the other hand I have been thru everything from a cone filter and adapter to a moded injen Eclipse short ram intake all the way thru to bad ass Injen CAI's,..one being the one I have right now which is the Injen Race Division,... Also AEM has a bad ass intake,....
Anyhow I have a I-4 and yes you can and will feel the difference. I think the AEM has the edge over The Injen but its your choice. And yes you are supposed to see a increase in gas mileage when driving normally but when you have a lead foot do expect more fuel consumption.