PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body bolt broken !! PLEASE HELP

Discman
07-16-2003, 01:19 PM
Hi, I was doing the throttle body MOD like described here ('http://theonechameleon.tripod.com/tipsandtricks.htm#tb') and the 2 bolt broken when i'm trying to loosen it and now the bracket that i suppose to move back and forth is just hangin !! could somebody please tell me what am i suppose to do ?? where am i suppose to take it to ?? and will i still be able to drive my car in that condition ( without the throttle body/cable ) hangin like that ?

Thank You

Fishboy55
07-16-2003, 01:47 PM
you may be able to drive, but your throttle cable is not going to have much slack and may not respond well. You're going to need to tap the broken bolts out and put in new ones.

Discman
07-16-2003, 01:59 PM
But how am i suppose to tap out the old bolt ?? i was thinkin about drilling the damn thing ?? any ideas ?? BTW whats that ribbon ( flat ) cable that attach to the plate and the firewall does ? ( is that a ground cable ?? )

Thanks

pinoyesv6
07-16-2003, 02:06 PM
to extract the broken bolt, if you can maybe use a screw driver or something and try to turn the bolt out. chances are, thats not gonna work. they do make kits out there, like the one made by craftsman that are used to extract the left overs of broken bolts.

drilling is another option. you got to be careful. if you mess up the threads, then you might have a problem putting on a new bolt, unless you tap new threads for a new bolt hole.

Fishboy55
07-16-2003, 02:40 PM
And yea, that strap is a ground strap. Right now that's the least of your worries.

Discman
07-16-2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif i'm gonna go to search and search for that craftsman tools, also i also did a search on yahoo on "removing broken bolt" and gave me lots of technique on how to do it !!

Thanks again

PS: Whats the size of that bolt if anyone knows ?? so i can just go get it a home depot or something !

Fishboy55
07-16-2003, 03:20 PM
I think it's a 10mm, but I'm not sure of the length.

bronxbombr
07-17-2003, 03:27 PM
Happened to me too, i just used a mini flat head screwdriver and little by little tapped the left over screw out enough to grab it with needle nosed pliers. Try it and take your time so you dont really mess it up.

JGMaverick
10-29-2006, 11:08 PM
to extract the broken bolt, if you can maybe use a screw driver or something and try to turn the bolt out. chances are, thats not gonna work. they do make kits out there, like the one made by craftsman that are used to extract the left overs of broken bolts.
drilling is another option. you got to be careful. if you mess up the threads, then you might have a problem putting on a new bolt, unless you tap new threads for a new bolt hole.

What do you mean exactly when you say use a screwdriver to turn the bolt out? Like, In my case, I tried to remove the intake plenum myself.. I found out that two of my bolts holding down the plenum were already broken, and then I broke one myself.. The majority of the bolt came out, but the bottom portion of the bolt was left inside.. The pic below shows the bolts that are broken inside..

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/JGMaverick/tjc_plenum19.jpg

The first two were already broken and I have to look down the hole to see the remains of the bolt.. The third one there is nothing to grab onto to turn it out..

I am not familiar with taps or anything.. Are power drills required for them? Or something that is manual? Yeah I know.. I sound like a newb.. Which I am.. I am just trying to DIY things cause I dont feel like paying the 100-200 dollars for sparkplug change on my V6.. Makes me wish I had an I4

Fishboy55
10-30-2006, 04:10 PM
What do you mean exactly when you say use a screwdriver to turn the bolt out? Like, In my case, I tried to remove the intake plenum myself.. I found out that two of my bolts holding down the plenum were already broken, and then I broke one myself.. The majority of the bolt came out, but the bottom portion of the bolt was left inside.. The pic below shows the bolts that are broken inside..

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/JGMaverick/tjc_plenum19.jpg

The first two were already broken and I have to look down the hole to see the remains of the bolt.. The third one there is nothing to grab onto to turn it out..

I am not familiar with taps or anything.. Are power drills required for them? Or something that is manual? Yeah I know.. I sound like a newb.. Which I am.. I am just trying to DIY things cause I dont feel like paying the 100-200 dollars for sparkplug change on my V6.. Makes me wish I had an I4

Please dont take this the wrong way, but "holy shit batman, lighten up on the torque, muscle boy". You broke 3 or 4 bolts....STOP what you're doing....understand that you're dealing with cold steel bolts in aluminum components. Not hardened steel in an iron block like daddy's chevrolet....

Best advice i have is get your car to a mechanic. I would NOT advise you to try and drill or tap anything else based on what's already happened.....you're playing around with the intake and fuel distribution area of your car....as it already stands, you could wind up paying far more than what a mechanic would have charged to change wires and plugs.

I'm not flaming you dude, but you really should stop trying a DIY like removing the plenum (???) without a good knowledge of mechanics or at least basic automotive repair....

JGMaverick
10-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Please dont take this the wrong way, but "holy shit batman, lighten up on the torque, muscle boy". You broke 3 or 4 bolts....STOP what you're doing....understand that you're dealing with cold steel bolts in aluminum components. Not hardened steel in an iron block like daddy's chevrolet....

Best advice i have is get your car to a mechanic. I would NOT advise you to try and drill or tap anything else based on what's already happened.....you're playing around with the intake and fuel distribution area of your car....as it already stands, you could wind up paying far more than what a mechanic would have charged to change wires and plugs.

I'm not flaming you dude, but you really should stop trying a DIY like removing the plenum (???) without a good knowledge of mechanics or at least basic automotive repair....

lol.. Yeah.. but now the only bolts that would work are the top two and the bottom middle.. and the back ones.. I guess thats enough.. Couldn't they have made this easier? Or are all import V6's this difficult? Is it safe to run with only those bolts holding it down?

bronxbombr
10-30-2006, 08:25 PM
lol.. Yeah.. but now the only bolts that would work are the top two and the bottom middle.. and the back ones.. I guess thats enough.. Couldn't they have made this easier? Or are all import V6's this difficult? Is it safe to run with only those bolts holding it down?

v6? man you dont have any clue what you are doing and like everyone else here I suggest you just pay the 50 bux and leave the headache to a mechanic

JGMaverick
10-30-2006, 09:56 PM
v6? man you dont have any clue what you are doing and like everyone else here I suggest you just pay the 50 bux and leave the headache to a mechanic

50 Bucks.. HAH!! Yeah right.. Mitsubishi charges an arm and a leg for that operation.. And I do know what I am doing.. Where do you think I got that pic from? That old tutorial that used to be up.. 1. Those bolts were already broken.. and 2. Those bolts are so corroded (sp?) that with no resistance at all, the one that I broke, fell apart like play-doh.. literally.. the top of the bolt came right off.. Goodyear is charging me 300 something for that operation just for the labor alone, so I called mitsubishi and they are charging me 290 or so for it to be done.. I already have the intake plenum off, I may as well change the sparkplugs myself.. All I asked in this thread was some advice on how to use those damn taps or extractors.. but I already found out from someone at work so nvm..