PDA

View Full Version : Transmition

98galant
09-03-2002, 02:15 AM
I asked this questions many times but nobody never gave me a straight answer...........

My questions are for the 5 speed transmitions:

Is their another transmition that fit our cars for ex. like the eclipse gs-t transmition??? Can it handle more torque or and horsepower than the stock galant tranny??? And if it can handle more how much???

Does the kit from level 10 work??? How does it work i looked on the site nothing there to explain it??? Did any body get this for 5 speed or only auto??? I send them an e-mail and no response it was a month...

THNX 8)

Kain
09-03-2002, 08:09 AM
Level 10 works mainly with Automatics, and the kits on their site are only for autos. They serve to "bulletproof" your tranny. I.E. they will take copious ammounts of punishment and still work right. they basically just take out all the flimsey stock components and replace them with bigger, better ones. (betcha didn't know a couple of critical components in your auto tranny are "paper" did ya?) There are lots of manual transmissions you can use for the Galant. I have one sitting in my driveway that you could bolt in quite nicely if it weren't what moves my Colt. The Eclipse transmission would be fine, as would a Galant transmission. Umm, even a Mirage transmission would work. If you upgrade your auto with the level 10 kit, I believe they claim it will take up to 600 hp if I remember correctly. But it's not so much the HP that kills tranny's anyway, it's the torque. Changing your fluid goes a long way in keeping the reaper away as well. A stock 5 speed would handle about the same before it started to get dangerous (ever seen a clutch explode?) But if you do go hunting for a transmission, be sure you get one for a FWD car. The AWD tranny won't work. (unless you want an AWD Galant which would be pretty cool) I guess it just depends on what you want in a transmission. "To shift, or not to shift..." If, like me, you live in one of the traffic capitals of the US, you'll likely want the ease of the Auto. alternately if you live out in one of the big square states the 5 speed would be more your thing.

P.S. as a side note, part of my job this summer was to learn a great deal about transmissions. If anyone has any questions, or would like me to post something about how Transmissions work (in terms you can actually understand) I'd be glad to.

QnzMostWanted
09-03-2002, 10:41 AM
any 4g engine tranny will work (eclipse galant mirage) if u wanna go all out and get all the AWD components from the donor car, u can put a AWD tranny in ur G as well, all are direct bolt ons and u wont have a problem, i would go with an eclipse turbo 5 speed tranny, its known to hold up the longest

Mr. E
09-03-2002, 01:16 PM
i thought nyc triney had the level 10 kit, didnt he have a manual transmission?

QnzMostWanted
09-03-2002, 01:51 PM
when i got my levelten auto tranny, i had a warranty with levelten, i told them i had problems with it and I sent them a 5 speed eclipse tranny to upgrade, so u can get a levelten 5 speed but u have to supply the tranny

bronxbombr
09-04-2002, 01:16 AM
speaking of AWD...........lolol D?

QnzMostWanted
09-04-2002, 08:56 AM
well i'm waiting on ur ass to call me, i wanna go pick this shit up, but i told u to get me the price and u said u'll get back to me