PDA

View Full Version : cleaning intake air filter?

galantxtreme00
09-03-2002, 09:58 AM
How do you clean out the filter? with water...? and how often do you clean the filter?

pinoyesv6
09-03-2002, 10:02 AM
i would check with the manufacturer of the intake. some filters aren't reusable and some filters like k&n are but need special cleaning kits to do so.

as for when to clean it i say inspect it every once in a while. if it looks dirty go ahead and clean it if u want. but remember that u can turn the cone filter around since ur car has special sweet spots where it likes to suck air from. and yea remember that the k&n works better when its dirty, up to a point. so remember that too

Fishboy55
09-03-2002, 10:03 AM
If it's the stock filter, used compressed air to clean it. Blow the air in from back to front to force the dirt out, not deeper in the filter. Don't wash it, it will disintegrate.

If it's a K&N or comparable cone filter, go to your local auto parts store and buy the K&N cleaning kit. It has a cleaner that you apply, then rinse off. Then you reapply the oil to the filter. This only needs to be done once every 50,000 miles. The dirt actually makes the K&N filter more efficient.

If it's a K&N replacement filter for your stock unit, I'm not sure what the procedure is for cleaning those, if any.

Chip

pinoyesv6
09-03-2002, 10:11 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>If it's the stock filter, used compressed air to clean it. Blow the air in from back to front to force the dirt out, not deeper in the filter. Don't wash it, it will disintegrate.

If it's a K&N or comparable cone filter, go to your local auto parts store and buy the K&N cleaning kit. It has a cleaner that you apply, then rinse off. Then you reapply the oil to the filter. This only needs to be done once every 50,000 miles. The dirt actually makes the K&N filter more efficient.

If it's a K&N replacement filter for your stock unit, I'm not sure what the procedure is for cleaning those, if any.

Chip</div>

you clean the oem replacement k&n just like u would a regular k&n

as for the oem paper filter. just get a new one. even the aftermarket oem air filters are less restrictive than the mitsu one...

Dilemma
09-03-2002, 12:56 PM
K&N recharger kit is available @ ur local pep boys or auto zone...if u dont wanna whip out the cash a good ol vaccum can act as a temporary clean up but the recharger kit relubes the actual filter giving optimal performance

Black2k1GTZ
09-03-2002, 09:01 PM
I hate to state the obvious here...but make syre that you let the filter dry before you put it back on!!! Cuz we all know what happens when water gets in to the engine... :explode: ....trust me I have seen lots of problems with people not properly drying the filters!!!!!!

Marc :mg:

galantxtreme00
09-03-2002, 09:14 PM
Ofcourse it has to be completely dry, but since i have 2 filters so i can switch them out u khow. But my question is that if its safe to wash it with just plain water?.

pinoyesv6
09-03-2002, 09:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantxtreme00)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ofcourse it has to be completely dry, but since i have 2 filters so i can switch them out u khow. But my question is that if its safe to wash it with just plain water?.</div>

i'd follow manufacturers instuctions for cleaning. just plain water might not cut it for some filters

Black2k1GTZ
09-03-2002, 10:48 PM
Best thing to try is go and get one of those k&n filter cleaning kits. I have used it on my INJEN filter before and it worked great. You can get a couple uses out of the kit if I remember rightly!!

Marc :mg:

BlueESV6
09-05-2002, 08:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>... and yea remember that the k&n works better when its dirty, up to a point...</div>

I must be missing the obvious but how does a dirty filter make it run more efficiently?? I guess I'm thinking the dirt particles are blocking the air from going through the filter..... hence reducing air flow... :?:

also regarding K&N, it's the oil on the foam filter that traps the particles from going into the intake... so don't forget to use that on it after you clean it. :!:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

pinoyesv6
09-05-2002, 08:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>... and yea remember that the k&n works better when its dirty, up to a point...</div>

I must be missing the obvious but how does a dirty filter make it run more efficiently?? I guess I'm thinking the dirt particles are blocking the air from going through the filter..... hence reducing air flow... :?:

also regarding K&N, it's the oil on the foam filter that traps the particles from going into the intake... so don't forget to use that on it after you clean it. :!:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>

first of all the k&n is not foam, its a cotton gauze.
and for the first part here is a quote from k&n u read it
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Most people believe that all air filters function on a go/no go basis where dirt particles that are larger than the openings in the filter media are trapped while particles that are smaller than the openings can pass right through. A dry paper air filter does function in this manner. That’s why paper filters are so restrictive to air flow. The openings in this type of filter have to be very small to filter efficiently.

The oiled cotton media used in the K&N air filter functions in an entirely different manner. There are scientific principles that determine how an air filter removes dirt particles from the air stream. The first of these principles is known as interception, which applies to dirt particles traveling with the air stream. Air flow will always take the shortest path and as the air is forced to flow around the filter’s fibers some of the particles will contact the sides of the fibers and be captured. These particles are then held in place by the oil or tacking agent in the fiber.

Another principle is known as impaction, which mostly affects larger or heavier dirt particles. Impaction occurs when the inertia or momentum of the particle causes it to deviate from the flow path. In other words the heavy particles do not follow the air stream around the filter’s fibers but instead they run straight into the fibers and are captured.

The most important principle for our use is diffusion, which deals with the laws of physics that govern the motion of very small dirt particles. Small particles are highly affected by the forces in the air stream. Forces such as velocity changes, pressure changes, turbulence caused by other particles and interaction with the air molecules cause these very small particles to become random and chaotic. As a result, these particles do not follow the air stream and their erratic motion causes them to collide with the filter’s fibers. Â*This phenomenon enables an air filter to capture dirt particles that are much smaller than the openings in the media. Â*In addition, the way that dirt collects or loads on the K&N filter is very different. A paper filter exhibits "surface loading" which means dust collects only on the surface of the media. In contrast, K&N filters exhibit "depth loading". The multiple layers of cotton fibers provide many levels of dust retention. Â*This characteristic allows the K&N filter to hold significantly more dirt per square inch of media than the average paper filter. Â*Utilizing these scientific principles, K&N has been able to design an air filter that is very free flowing while also being highly efficient at removing dirt from the air.</div>

BlueESV6
09-05-2002, 08:28 PM
OK... Cotton Media not foam.

I read it twice and guess I missed where it said it works better dirty... all I got was taht K&N's were able to trap more dirt because of the way the cotton media works on the particles...

Thanks for the info though. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

pinoyesv6
09-05-2002, 08:31 PM
The dirt particles collected on the surface of a K&N element have very little effect on air flow during most of its service life because there are no small holes to clog. Particles are stopped by layers of crisscrossed cotton fibers and held in suspension by the oil. As the filter begins to collect debris, an additional form of filter action begins to take place because air must first pass through the dirt particles trapped on the surface. That means a K&N air filter continues to exhibit high air flow throughout the life of the filter while it is accumulating dirt. At the same time, the air flow for an average paper air filter decreases dramatically as the paper element gets dirty.

BlueESV6
09-05-2002, 08:51 PM
OK. I guess I misunderstood what you meant by "works better dirty". I take it your saying that a K&N works better (than other filters) dirty. I agree with that! The filter is able to trap dirt and continue to have a better air flow.

I thought you were originally saying it worked better after getting dirtier! :oops:

Thanks for clearing it up! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

pinoyesv6
09-05-2002, 08:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>I thought you were originally saying it worked better after getting dirtier! Â*:oops: Â*

</div>

it does, that top layer of dirt acts as what u can think of as a prefilter.

BlueESV6
09-05-2002, 09:13 PM
I didn't really read that from that long explanation ... I just got that it was able to trap more dirt in a better manner retaining the higher air flow (than other filters)... anyway... we digress. I have a K&N and like it. I noticed better gas mileage with it + it can be cleaned rather than pitching and buying another!

pinoyesv6
09-05-2002, 09:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>I didn't really read that from that long explanation ... I just got that it was able to trap more dirt in a better manner retaining the higher air flow (than other filters)... anyway... we digress. I have a K&N and like it. I noticed better gas mileage with it + it can be cleaned rather than pitching and buying another!</div>

i didn't buy the k&n cuz it brought horepower and bettter fuel economy. even if it didn't do that, i'd still buy it. the dealer filter is like 30 dollars (10 dollars less than k&n) and isn't reusable and won't last as long, and the same thing with the aftermarket replacement (20 dollars). its well worth it for lasting so long between cleanings and it being cleanable

Fishboy55
09-05-2002, 10:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>I didn't really read that from that long explanation ... I just got that it was able to trap more dirt in a better manner retaining the higher air flow (than other filters)... anyway... we digress. I have a K&N and like it. I noticed better gas mileage with it + it can be cleaned rather than pitching and buying another!</div>OK, Try this quote. it can't be any clearer than this, Also from K&N's site:

Chip

12. PERFORMANCE HINTS
1) Service every 50,000 -100,000 miles on street driven applications.
2) Service often in off-road or heavy dust conditions or when air filter reaches 18" of restrictions.
3) Let the dirt "build-up" work for you; it will not hurt the performance and actually help filter the air.
CAUTION:
Extreme fine dust in agriculture or off-road use will pull the oil
from the element. Frequent re-oiling of the element's clean side might be required. Completely service when practicable. For extra protection use K&N sealing grease on rubber ends of the element. Service only with K&N air filter cleaner and K&N air filter oil.

RedGalant2k1
09-06-2002, 02:24 AM
If it's the stock filter, used compressed air to clean it. Blow the air in from back to front to force the dirt out, not deeper in the filter. Don't wash it, it will disintegrate.

Chip

I always wondered how having dirt on your k&n filter actually 'helps' it out? In my experience dirt always clogged the air filter up so the motor couldn't breath. How is a k&n special that it likes the dirt?

pinoyesv6
09-06-2002, 07:08 AM

Chip

I always wondered how having dirt on your k&n filter actually 'helps' it out? In my experience dirt always clogged the air filter up so the motor couldn't breath. How is a k&n special that it likes the dirt?

hey dave scroll up i think iv'e answered that 1

BlueESV6
09-06-2002, 03:02 PM
I'm not trying to be pig headed about this but I wasn't convinced that dirt helps the air flow in the air cleaner.... it defeats the purpose of a free flowing system! Dirtier does not equal better in terms of allowing the filter to pass the air through it...

Fishboy wrote

"... 3) Let the dirt "build-up" work for you; it will not hurt the performance and actually help filter the air. "

The long technical bulletin posted by Pinoy doesn't say anything about it helping improve or increase air flow (K&N's appeal) and if a bunch of dirt is on the filter already... common sense would dictate that it will "filter" even more dirt because it's already being blocked up by the first layer of dirt! The key words in the above phrase are "help filter the air" but it did not say help improve air flow/ performance!!

Like I said, I'm not trying to be pig headed but I really think that was bad information.

Personally, I like the air filter and would recommend it to others for the reasons I said earlier!

my2cents https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Mgalant99
06-04-2003, 11:40 AM
Now heres something. I just was on pepboys site, and there is some quiz they offer taking about how much do u know about gas mileage and what not. So I decided to take it and one of the questions is:

A clogged/dirty airfilter will drop your gas mileage by:

and the answer is 10%!!!

Now I'm confused, dirty filter = better performance, but also 10% drop in gas mileage?!?!?!

Fishboy55
06-04-2003, 01:29 PM
They're likely referring to a stock air filter, not a high performance cotton fiber filter. I'll bet Manny, Moe and Jack don't even know what a Stainless Steel Mesh filter looks like. :roll:

Mgalant99
06-04-2003, 01:42 PM
oops, my bad then!!! lol

Regardless, I bought the cleaner today and am in the process of letting it dry now. Since its gotten dirtier and dirtier, that nice intake noise has gone lower and lower too, I want that noise back haha!!!

galantebeige
11-16-2005, 02:49 AM
Following up on this interesting topic;
I was replacing my filter last sunday, and after lifting/removing the old air filter I noticed a moderate amount of dirt inside the bottom half of the black square plastic enclosure that holds the air filter. Where the dirty side of the air filter would face.
My first impulse was to wash it out. I did not do anything, but I was wondering, how do I clean that? just spray it down with water?
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

pinoyesv6
11-16-2005, 09:03 AM
i normally just vacuum it out since i have a shop vac. i guess you could wash it out with water but you just have to make sure that you got all the water out before you did anything else.

galantebeige
11-16-2005, 07:08 PM
thanks for the tip
I think a vacuum is a better idea.