PDA

View Full Version : headlights

snipe99
07-20-2003, 09:12 PM
hey iwas just wondering if it was true that the harnesses to the galant headlights dont hold up to well with xenons. this is what the guy at the dealer told me when i went to see how much the were cause mine got fried
thanx

Liszt
07-20-2003, 09:23 PM
I had to replace my wire harness & connector. Died. I think though that since the hid box holds most of the charge you'll still be pulling the same power from the regular cabels. That's why it takes a second for HID's to turn on.

L

Reelax
07-20-2003, 09:55 PM
i think there's some confusion here... are we talking about xenon filled bulbs or real HID? HID has ballasts which control the arc. regular bulbs have a filament that "burns" in the absence of oxygen. xenon filled regular bulbs (incandecent) have a filament and xenon gas which causes the filament to burn brighter. most xenon bulbs also draw more current than stock... this causes heat and that is what is melting the harnesses. HID on the other hand pulls 35W into the ballast (there are some newer HID ballasts pulling around 50W recently developed). there is a millisecond burst of almost 20,000 volts at ignite (HID uses no filament but rather a continuous spark like maintained lightning) but this is genereated by the igniter... HID does not need after market wiring since it never taxes the wiring over 35W.

also HID turns "on" instantly w/ a flash as the arc is created, then it dims slightly till the gas and elements are heated to produce a final brightness and color temperature. the "warm up" lag can take from a moment to a minute, but there is no lag from when u hit the switch to when ther arcs ignite.

Liszt
07-20-2003, 09:59 PM
i think there's some confusion here... are we talking about xenon filled bulbs or real HID? HID has ballasts which control the arc. regular bulbs have a filament that "burns" in the absence of oxygen. xenon filled regular bulbs (incandecent) have a filament and xenon gas which causes the filament to burn brighter. most xenon bulbs also draw more current than stock... this causes heat and that is what is melting the harnesses. HID on the other hand pulls 35W into the ballast (there are some newer HID ballasts pulling around 50W recently developed). there is a millisecond burst of almost 20,000 volts at ignite (HID uses no filament but rather a continuous spark like maintained lightning) but this is genereated by the igniter... HID does not need after market wiring since it never taxes the wiring over 35W.

right hid's use less power I remember reading

snipe99
07-21-2003, 12:31 PM
ok i was talking about xenon bulbs not HID i dont have the money for those now

pinoyesv6
07-21-2003, 12:39 PM
if thats the case yea. most "xenon" bulbs draw almost double the amount of current as the stock bulbs do. thats why many times the harness gets fried.

Liszt
07-22-2003, 12:24 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>if thats the case yea. most "xenon" bulbs draw almost double the amount of current as the stock bulbs do. thats why many times the harness gets fried.</div>

right. I was running Piaa's for a while and fired like 4 bulb and my stock harnesses. I can actually see better with just plain halogen.

L