PDA

View Full Version : Parts list for DIY 4G64 turbocharging

Mindless
07-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Check it out:

http://4g64.150m.com/turbo.html ('http://4g64.150m.com/turbo.html')

Jesse
07-21-2003, 04:13 PM
We should have that as a sticky or somewhere important. I've know about Curt's site for years now. Actually, I saw his car yesterday at the DSM Shootout.

brandon
07-22-2003, 08:07 AM
Okay, since I'm dumb and trying to learn, help a brotha out...

On the parts list, it has the following:

4G63T Exhaust Manifold (Ported 2g Preferred)
4G63T O2 Sensor Housing (Ported 2g Preferred)
4G63T Downpipe - 2G FWD (aftermarket or custom 2.5" - 3" preferred)

*and then says:

2.5"-3" Hi-Flow Cat or Test Pipe
2.5"-3" Cat-Back exhaust System

My question is, what is the "exhaust manifold" defined as?

I'm guessing we need to keep our header, and then bolt on the 4G63T downpipe and initial piping to the cat (don't we have two cats??), and then have a custom made cat-back exhaust done at a shop. Am I in the right neighborhood?

Thanks.

Los
07-22-2003, 08:14 AM
I just printed that tutorial and the Tutorial DJ galant posted,,,, I gonna start doing my homework on this. I figure if this is possible for a relatively low price, why not at least try it. So I doing my homework now and hope fully soon I will have the balls to do this on my own.

brandon
07-22-2003, 12:35 PM
Also... is a header a waste of money if you're going turbo? I know usually if you're going all motor everyone suggests you buy an aftermarket header... what about for a turbo setup?

If it's worthwhile to buy a header, then just getting a 4G63T/Eclipse header and downpipe would work bolting to a 2G exhaust manifold, right?

brandon
07-22-2003, 12:41 PM
I think I just answered my own question... the header that bolts up to the 4G64 is the one made for the 4G63, not 4G63T, correct?

I was on the RRE site and noticed they offer a GReddy header, but it's for the 420A...

EDIT: Or, am I completely off and the manifold actually IS the header and so forth??

HELP ME. haha

seth98esT
07-22-2003, 01:44 PM
u cannot have headers w/ turbo. u will need a turbo exhaust manifold and ditch the stock one 8)

2True
07-22-2003, 02:39 PM
This comes up every so often so I am going to STICK it in the performance forum.

brandon
07-22-2003, 03:01 PM
So, next questions are...

If I get a 4G63T exhaust manifold (which I'm assuming is everything up to the cat), will it bolt right up to everything or will I have to bring it to a shop to have the manifold bolt up to the existing cat?

Would it be wise of me to buy the 4G63T manifold, a high flow cat made for the 4G63T, and then do a custom cat-back at a shop?

Lastly, with a turbo exhaust manifold and no turbo, how much loss of power am I looking at due to the lesser amount of backpressure?

You guys rock.

seth98esT
07-22-2003, 03:16 PM
u cant use a turbo exhaust mani on a nt car. the 4g63t turbo exhaust manifold bolts up to our head, so u either have to have a custom downpipe made or use a 4g63t downpipe and redo ur exhaust

brandon
07-22-2003, 03:24 PM
u cant use a turbo exhaust mani on a nt car. the 4g63t turbo exhaust manifold bolts up to our head, so u either have to have a custom downpipe made or use a 4g63t downpipe and redo ur exhaust

So now you lost me...

The turbo exhaust manifold bolts up to the head where?

For a step by step, the best way would be for me to do a cat back now, and then when I'm ready for the turbo, swap the exhaust manifold at that point, correct?

seth98esT
07-22-2003, 03:26 PM
id wait for the cat back, so u can use the 4g63t downpipe then install the cat back accordingly

ok man, take off ur heat shield, under that is ur exhaust manifold...to turbo, u must take your stock exhaust mani off and replace it w/ a turbo exhaust manifold, then the turbo bolts onto the exhaust manifold

brandon
07-22-2003, 03:29 PM
So would I be able to put the 4G63T manifold on, get the custom downpipe, attach that to the cat, do cat-back, and not slap a turbo on it?

I'm guessing the answer is no, but I've never seen a turbo manifold before.

Thanks for your patience Seth!

seth98esT
07-22-2003, 03:39 PM
http://ebay3.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_f038166209cadac9f53f7c00bc7cbb81/i-3.JPG
http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_cb9f2f2b7bfaf4f3b901a1bd98aba9d3/i-5.JPG

Jesse
07-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Brandon,

Seriously bro, go spend some time looking under the hoods of turbo'd talons/eclipse.

You need to understand the flow of a turbo system because we're just confusing you.

Non Turbo Car = Filter to throttle body, throttle body to intake manifold, intake manifold to head, head to exhaust manifold, exhaust manifold to

Turbo'd Car = Filter to turbo, turbo to intercooler, intercooler to throttle body, throttle body to intake manifold, intake manifold to head, head to turbo exhaust manifold, turbo exhaust manifold to turbo, turbo to o2 housing (if internal wastegate), o2 housing to downpipe, downpipe to catalytic converter, catalytic converter to your muffler

Mindless
07-22-2003, 05:27 PM
props to whoever made this a sticky. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

redboy
07-22-2003, 11:58 PM
We should have that as a sticky or somewhere important. I've know about Curt's site for years now. Actually, I saw his car yesterday at the DSM Shootout.what does his car run????

brandon
07-23-2003, 08:45 AM
Turbo'd Car = Filter to turbo, turbo to intercooler, intercooler to throttle body, throttle body to intake manifold, intake manifold to head, head to turbo exhaust manifold, turbo exhaust manifold to turbo, turbo to o2 housing (if internal wastegate), o2 housing to downpipe, downpipe to catalytic converter, catalytic converter to your muffler

That's what I needed, and thanks for the pics Seth.

Time to start finding parts...

brandon
07-24-2003, 03:27 PM
New question time (you know you love it):

When buying the turbo exhaust manifold, say stock mani from a 2G eclipse, what size turbos will fit it?

Gir
10-14-2003, 04:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>New question time (you know you love it):

When buying the turbo exhaust manifold, say stock mani from a 2G eclipse, what size turbos will fit it?</div>

T25 flanged Turbos

brandon
10-15-2003, 07:38 AM
14b, 16g fit also.

GalantsArePoopy
03-13-2004, 01:53 PM
if swapping the 4g63 head onto our engine will make it DOHC (is this correct?) then if you take off the header to use the turbo exhaust manifold to turbo our engine, then with no head what OHC is it? single or double?

im new to cars, so if this doesnt make sense try and direct me towards the knowledge of the elders:)

the_kage
03-14-2004, 10:16 AM
Ok.. if you swap for a 4g63t... that number, 4g63, refers to the Block. The bottom of the engine. On top of the block you have the... You guessed it, the head.
There are DOHC heads for our block, the 4g64. The 94gs came stock DOHC and there are several members of this board who have been doing the swap. Its still a Non Turbo Application.
If you swap for a 4g63, *turbo hopefully* I belive... however I may be wrong.. there are both SOHC and DOHC heads for that block. So doing the swap wouldn't flat out mean either way that you would have DOHC or SOHC.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GalantsArePoopy)</div><div class='quotemain'>if swapping the 4g63 head onto our engine will make it DOHC (is this correct?) then if you take off the header to use the turbo exhaust manifold to turbo our engine, then with no head what OHC is it? single or double?

im new to cars, so if this doesnt make sense try and direct me towards the Â*knowledge of the elders:)</div>

MidNightRacing
03-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Is this a very bad idea?
Turboed running on stock internals.
Hehehe :twisted: im a cheap basterd I jus wanna run it on stock rods n pistons :x
I kno its not good but to what extent?

sethmo
03-27-2004, 03:17 AM
You are fine as long as you have the right amount of fuel, tuning is good, and you do not overboost.

ALL 4g63t engines are 2.0L DOHC engines

the_kage
04-02-2004, 10:43 AM
This is off of a evo.. but its still 4g63t right?
Would it work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2470127355 ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33617&item=2470127355')

brandon
04-02-2004, 01:15 PM
Work on the 4G64? No. You might be able to use the TB but the manifold won't mate.

jusmills
04-02-2004, 01:45 PM
is the 4G64 off the Eclipse spyder the same as the 4G64 in the 8g (probably flipped 180 right). if that is the case could an 8G use the same parts...

brandon
04-02-2004, 02:17 PM
The 2G Eclipse spyder is the same as a 7G, and the 8Gs are flipped, yes. Certain parts are interchangeable.

sethmo
04-02-2004, 04:05 PM
8gs can use any 4g63t turbo exhaust manifold as can 7gers

the_kage
04-03-2004, 07:49 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sethmo)</div><div class='quotemain'>8gs can use any 4g63t turbo exhaust manifold as can 7gers</div>

SO that mani will work Seth?

brandon
04-05-2004, 07:47 AM
EXHAUST manifold will fit, INTAKE manifold will not.

soltero112
09-16-2004, 12:54 PM
i have a questions........i get the jist of everything that i have to do exept for one thing, wtf do i do with this long, crooked and everyone sais is a water line....lol, im lost on where it goes

brandon
09-16-2004, 02:24 PM
Got a picture?

You should have two water lines coming off the turbo... a feed and a return. You'll have to buy some coolant hose so that they reach where they gotta go... the metal line itself isn't long enough.

If it's a really crooked line (like 3-4 bends), it's the stock oil line.

My water/coolant lines had only one bend each. You can see one of 'em in this pic:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/411000-411999/411887_29_full.jpg

soltero112
09-16-2004, 02:38 PM
stock oil feed?

it looks nothing like the pic

brandon
09-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Yeah the stock oil lines have crazy bends... you won't wanna use those.

If you haven't already, get the RRE SS braided oil feed (www.roadraceengineering.com) and a good oil return line from www.turbochargers.com

The coolant lines should be fairly short, with only the one bend like that pic.

GPTourer
10-31-2004, 08:06 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gir)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>New question time (you know you love it):

When buying the turbo exhaust manifold, say stock mani from a 2G eclipse, what size turbos will fit it?</div>

T25 flanged Turbos</div>

Might have been answered earlier, but I just wanted to clear this up.
The above answer is wrong. A turbo must have a Mitsubishi exhaust housing to bolt up to a 1g or 2G exhaust manifold (ported 2G is best) Garrett turbos straight from Garrett don't have Mitsubishi exhaust housings because they are Garretts. The T-25's they sold to Mitsubisishi have been modified to fit their cars. So if DSM guys want to go "full Garrett" instead of hybrid, they have to buy a Garrett flanged manifold designed to fit a DSM head. Confusing? Yes, but it gets worse.

If you guys use a Garrett T-25 (or T-28) (that smiley is supposed to be an 8, I can'tmake it go away.) designed for a DSM, you can use the intercooler piping path of a 2G to rig up your intercooler. If you use a Mitsubishi 14B or 16G style turbo you will need a j-pipe to use the 2G style intercooler pipe routing.

The last part may be moot, since you guys are probably having to custom bend your intercooler piping, whcih is fine. I just don't know if you can mount a DSM sidemount intercooler on a Galant, or if you all are using front mounts.

brandon
11-01-2004, 09:20 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GPTourer)</div><div class='quotemain'>
The last part may be moot, since you Â*guys are probably having to custom bend your intercooler piping, whcih is fine. I just don't know if you can mount a DSM sidemount intercooler on a Galant, or if you all are using front mounts.</div>

FYI, you have to eliminate some emissions crap, but a DSM SMIC will fit.

josh_877
11-01-2004, 10:31 AM
ay brandon around how much did all the parts and everything cost u? if u dont mind me asking.

brandon
11-01-2004, 10:50 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(josh_877)</div><div class='quotemain'>ay brandon around how much did all the parts and everything cost u? if u dont mind me asking.</div>

For "everything", I guess it ran me around $1500 or so, give or take a couple hundred. That includes all parts, installation of the exhaust, and the few tools I ended up having to buy.

frag_daddy_2007
07-05-2005, 06:20 PM
this may be a n00b questoin (thats what i am, cant deny it) but whats the cheapest i can go and install a turbo? can i run without an intercooler? i wanna get around 60-100 extra horsepower so i think a turbo would be my best bet

peanotation
07-05-2005, 08:49 PM
i think brandon's is the cheapest i've ever heard it dropping down to. you can run without an intercooler....with a water kit. which can be more expensive and difficult. so basically you need an intercooler unless you got money.

frag_daddy_2007
07-05-2005, 08:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>i think brandon's is the cheapest i've ever heard it dropping down to. you can run without an intercooler....with a water kit. which can be more expensive and difficult. so basically you need an intercooler unless you got money.</div>
i talked to one of my freind and his 240sx has 10lbs of boost just running straight to the intake, no cooling at all

peanotation
07-05-2005, 09:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frag_daddy_2007)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>i think brandon's is the cheapest i've ever heard it dropping down to. you can run without an intercooler....with a water kit. which can be more expensive and difficult. so basically you need an intercooler unless you got money.</div>
i talked to one of my freind and his 240sx has 10lbs of boost just running straight to the intake, no cooling at all</div>

lol, i dont know about that

i know a civic in the next town that running coolant into his intake cause it cools the engine according to him

frag_daddy_2007
07-05-2005, 11:48 PM
he didnt install it himself, so im not sure if it really works or not. all i know is, at some point he cracked the block and its parked for now, maybe from being installed bad

brandon
07-06-2005, 07:25 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frag_daddy_2007)</div><div class='quotemain'>he didnt install it himself, so im not sure if it really works or not. all i know is, at some point he cracked the block and its parked for now, maybe from being installed bad</div>

ROFL Good stuff. You need an intercooler.

Turbo install will give you 60-100hp, but it'll cost you more than $2000.

Mindless
07-06-2005, 04:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frag_daddy_2007)</div><div class='quotemain'>this may be a n00b questoin (thats what i am, cant deny it) but whats the cheapest i can go and install a turbo? can i run without an intercooler? i wanna get around 60-100 extra horsepower so i think a turbo would be my best bet</div>

Read up on it and do it your self. A shop will rape you on a price.

peanotation
07-06-2005, 04:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mindless)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frag_daddy_2007)</div><div class='quotemain'>this may be a n00b questoin (thats what i am, cant deny it) but whats the cheapest i can go and install a turbo? can i run without an intercooler? i wanna get around 60-100 extra horsepower so i think a turbo would be my best bet</div>

Read up on it and do it your self. A shop will rape you on a price.</div>

word