PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Fluid change

freddy_again
09-03-2002, 11:23 AM
I think the manual says to change the tranny fluid every 30K miles...Is that really necessary?? Should you do it sooner?? What do you guys normally do???
Thanks!

pinoyesv6
09-03-2002, 11:56 AM
i'd do it every 30k. not only does it give the tranny some new clean fluid, but will also give u some kinds of signs of transmission problems like maybe metal flakes in the fluid or something. and yea diagnosing the problem early is good because u might still have a chance to fix that problem instead of replacing it.

you can do it sooner if you want. but thats totally up to you. if you wanna dish out the money to do it every 20k or so its up to u. but u could be using the money for mods. but then again yea if you are having problems or you find some, you might want to do it a lil bit more often to see if the problem is getting worse, better or whatever.

jacuZZi
09-05-2002, 11:37 PM
ya better do it every 30k or so, i just did that to my car, when the mileage 46k, I actually flushed it, so not only changed the fluid, but cleaned up the inside as well with the flush machine.

TJC
09-06-2002, 02:01 AM
I have a tutorial on changing the ATF and filter if you want to do it yourself and save some dough and save your tranny, lol. Change every 30k unless you race often, then change sooner. Get tranny fluid and ATF filter from dealer then go to my tutorial on main page at https://www.thegalantcenter.com ('https://www.thegalantcenter.com')

BTW, this is straight out of the Mitsubishi service manual.

burthold
09-08-2002, 11:57 PM
If you want to really do it right take it to a place that has a preasure changer so you flush all the oil out of the torque converter too. When you do a normal drain and fill you still leave all the oil that is just sitting in the converter. It will mix and poof! your tranny fluid is now only half as clean as new. Its the only way to do it without pulling the converter and draining it by hand. I think it is a good investment in your tranny life.

Wes

Ghost Beat
09-09-2002, 01:17 AM
yea i like to do most things to my car myself saving as much as i can so i can put it to mods buts tranny flush i took it to the dealer and they flushed it out and changed the oil for me id reccomend the flush but im just realy anal about oil changes i tend to do my regular engine changes before the miles come up

TJC
09-09-2002, 01:49 AM
The instructions do tell you to turn on the car when draining. I don't know if this is pretty good at draining the fluid in the torque converter or if any of you even tried it this way. Anyway, I did do it according to the manual this way and a lot of it comes out. I think I might have missed a quart of two out of the 9 total.

I thought it was pretty good and was worried about the same thing. Oh well, that's my real experience and my 2 cents. If you done it this way, what's your honest opinion?