PDA

View Full Version : impressed....

mjc1055
07-22-2003, 02:16 AM
well this i believe qualifies as a general post about the 8g since thats what i've got... the other day i was driving a friend around an area of town thats got some pretty windy roads with some steep parts and he told me to show him what kinda balls my car had (ive got a 2000 ES v6).. so i did, and today a coversation ensued in which he told me he was really impressed with the performance and handling... the great part is that this is all coming from a guy who drives a 40,000 dollar bmw! just goes to show you what this "family car" can do 8)

Auto-9
07-22-2003, 09:02 AM
Yeah back when it was first introduced the reviewers all liked the 8g's handling. Nowadays of course it can't really compare with the others out there (except maybe against the Camry).

HeadAche
07-22-2003, 10:32 AM
"Family Car", nothing family about my car, thats for damn sure..lol.. but your right the handling of the 8G is pretty damn good. Wish it was a lil tighter and less roll, but other than that, really nice..

J
07-22-2003, 02:02 PM
i remember a post awhile back that said that after news rims and tires and strut bar, the galant handles like an M3.

that would be fantabulous.

Auto-9
07-22-2003, 05:49 PM
Yeah slap on lowering springs and wider performance tires and it'll put down about .83g to .85g of lateral grip.

Prophet
07-22-2003, 06:05 PM
Yeah slap on lowering springs and wider performance tires and it'll put down about .83g to .85g of lateral grip.

Newbie question.

How does this help performance. And these number mean what compared to what.

FinalLast
07-22-2003, 08:33 PM

Newbie question.

might not help much at the strip

but might help if you auto cross.. or if you just like taking corners at high speeds.

lol

just a guess
if i am wrong...

just tell me.

hsinya
07-22-2003, 10:29 PM
this is straight outta car&driver, lemme go find the issue.

(returns 5min later)

they did a long term test on a 2000 galant gtz and after about a 1/2 a year of driving it, they slapped on 17" Borbet Type T rims wrapped in Potenza RE730 tires (215/45ZR-17). they also installed the eibach prokit.

they tested the handling of the car w/ this new setup, i'll just directly quote the rest:

On the skidpad, the Galant GTZ got 0.85 g, 0.08 higher than when new. That's even better than an M3 (by 0.01 g). Braking with the replacement Bridgestones decreased from 191 to 171 feet.

Auto-9
07-23-2003, 12:27 AM
Newbie question.

Hehe never expected this one from you https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif A slight lowering but not too much will lower your center of gravity, and usually results in higher spring rates. This helps cornering. The wider tires help with grip, thus allowing higher levels of corning grip again, plus reduced stopping distances with its greater area to rub with. The skidpad figure is a measure of a car's road holding capabilities on the twisties (lateral acceleration), though it doesn't necessarily mean the car handles better than one that has a lower lateral g...it just means it can grab a lot more before reaching its limit.

00GTZ00
07-23-2003, 06:46 AM
Ya after I got my new tires I am VERY impressed with my car it will corner very well!!

-eibach pro kit-
-eclipse strut bar-
-225/50/15 Kumo supra-

again I am very impressed with this setup!

Prophet
07-23-2003, 12:20 PM
So I can safely say that I can corner better than a M3 now. :wink:

Yeah what I really wanted to know is what do the numbers mean. I got it know though. Thanks guys.