PDA

View Full Version : rear drum to disk brakes?

Sowndwayv
09-03-2002, 10:04 PM
i remember reading that someone posted they successfully did this on their 8g. i did a search and only found a topic for a 7g, and there was not much information in the post

can anyone discuss what would be needed, and what kinda prices, and labor would be goin doin the conversion..would it even be worth what will be spent towards this project for anyone who chooses to persue it?

RedGalant2k1
09-03-2002, 10:06 PM
I posted that info. I can't speak to if its been done succefully on a 8G Galant but for a 3G GS Eclipse is has been succesfully done. go to www.EclipseForums.org look for a guy who goes by the screenname 'lordvadr' he did it, if anyone can help he can.

Hopefully, Manybrews sees this and can help to.

I searched for the post, but i guess its lost forever. Either way i can give you the list of what exactly you need for this coversion.

Click the following link: http://community.webshots.com/album/24714173ZCdARjcuOR ('http://community.webshots.com/album/24714173ZCdARjcuOR')

scroll to the bottom of the page you'll see them.

09-04-2002, 03:43 AM
There used to be a discussion about how it was better to just trade in your I4 for a V6 and still be cheaper.

Tiller
09-04-2002, 11:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KingUltra)</div><div class='quotemain'>There used to be a discussion about how it was better to just trade in your I4 for a V6 and still be cheaper.</div>

sounds like the route you would want to take...

not sure if AEM makes a changeover kit for the Eclispe that could be utilized on the Galant...

pinoyesv6
09-04-2002, 02:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KingUltra)</div><div class='quotemain'>There used to be a discussion about how it was better to just trade in your I4 for a V6 and still be cheaper.</div>

sounds like the route you would want to take...

not sure if AEM makes a changeover kit for the Eclispe that could be utilized on the Galant...</div>

AEM doesn't make a changeover kit but if u email them and say u want one for the 8g galant/3g eclipse then that might convince them with enough emails to make one.

another note. if you can find an autorecycler who has a rear end of a v6 u can just swap that possibly. i'd still recommend getting a brake job with the swap though. just so u have nicer brakes

RedGalant2k1
09-04-2002, 04:33 PM
Guys parts are like $500 plus you choose aftermarket rotors and pads ($150-200 tops) plus $250 or so for install. $1000 tops. Less than that if you can install it yourself. Depends on the V6. I wouldn't bother with a V6 rear axle that would be more of a bitch than just swaping out the drums for discs, plus you could potentially have problems with more than just the brakes.

pinoyesv6
09-04-2002, 04:39 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Guys parts are like $500 plus you choose aftermarket rotors and pads ($150-200 tops) plus $250 or so for install. Â*$1000 tops. Â*Less than that if you can install it yourself. Â*Depends on the V6. Â*I wouldn't bother with a V6 rear axle that would be more of a bitch than just swaping out the drums for discs, plus you could potentially have problems with more than just the brakes.</div>

or u can just use it for parts if u can get it for that cheap...hell, if i was really cheap i might just keep the rotors and pads that are on there lol and save up for new ones...but i don't recommend that