PDA

View Full Version : boost vs HP

CT_GalantV6
07-24-2003, 04:15 PM
ok, from what I have read, the 6g72 v6 (3.0) can handle about 6-8psi of boost with stock internals and stock tranny (i have the auto). I reallize thats with an upgaded fuel system. Would rebuilding the top end with maybe with a Stage 1 cam, cam gears and valves, maybe some plenum porting gain any added hp(it should, right)along with a s/c, if so, would the hp be to much for the stock pistons/crank and stock tranny. Or is a top end rebuild not worth it without doing the pistons and bulletproff the tranny. I see vegas matt is doing about 268HP with the RIPP setup, I would like to get closer to 300 if possible. I'm looking to do something over the winter and now is a good time to start asking questions.

Your thoughts please....

escoson
07-24-2003, 04:17 PM
I.M.O. ide say rebuild your whole motor with cams, pistons, gears, etc... to me that would be the safest bet so i say go with your idea you posted.

VegasMatt
07-24-2003, 04:19 PM
I bet with the FMIC I could get close to 300+. I want to upgrade the pistons ect.

I need to retune the HKS AFR just to lean it out a bit more to get the torque up. Other than that I would recommend the SDS kit for everyone.

You may also want to talk to superchargedgtz, i knwo that Ripp rebuilt his engine. As for me I am running stock internals with a trans cooler.

8ggalant
07-24-2003, 04:27 PM
there are guys on club 3g runnin 300 but they built there bottom ends "just in case" with the right tuning and a fmic matt would probly be in the 290-300hp range...u gotta rember the tranny is yer weakest link at this point....but its very possible with the stock bottom end....but another grand-1500 on the bottom end is worth the investment

leicoolya
07-24-2003, 05:09 PM
where and how much for a trans cooler?
'i see a few people with em...
must be good for something

8ggalant
07-24-2003, 07:35 PM
i saw em on ebay for between 20-60 dollars...im gettin one also

HeadAche
07-24-2003, 07:41 PM
You can get a tranny cooler From B&M the main purpose of it is well to keep the tranny cooler during high temps esepcially under boost or while your on the bottom, so you can save the gears in it.. I know for sure Matt will break 300whp with the FMIC and bigger injectors.. I think whats killin power the most for his motor is that dry ass heat in Vegas..

CT_GalantV6
07-24-2003, 09:31 PM
Great replies! Thanks.
So do all or nothing if your going to have anything done. No sence in being half strong.

Matt, sounds like your SDS is working out nice. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I am in luck, RIPP is only a 2 hour drive for me.

Thanks again guys.