PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Galant ESV6 Brake Pad Part #???

splashdoggie
07-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Hopefully someone can help me. I want to replace the front pads, but Mitsubishi used some unique pads for a short period of time on the V6's that I'm not able to locate anywhere, other than the dealership. I don't want the stock OE pads because they heat up too bad and keep warping the rotors, and I can't really afford several hundred $$$ on new "Big Brakes" so I would prefer to try some premium aftermarket pads. Most Galant pads I've seen have female ends, but these pads have male ends. The number on the back of the pads is NS175H. I suspect the aftermarket pad might be #866, but I've been unable to find a picture of these pads so I don't want to chance it. If anyone else has encountered this and might know the aftermarket pad #, I'll give you my first born.

Thanks...
Adam

Auto-9
07-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Hmmm it sounds like you have the newer pads starting from 2001 and up. Prior to 2001 they used a 2 piston brake caliper and different pads up front. If you have the 2 piston system, Road Race Engineering sells Metal Masters for that brake system. If you have the single piston design that all current V6s use, the only choice you have is the crap OEM pads or the more expensive but amazingly effective Porterfield Kevlars...they last a long time, bite VERY hard, but like all awesome pads will squeal. Go to http://www.roadraceengineering.com ('http://www.roadraceengineering.com') for more details, go to the 3G parts page and read through the brakes section.

splashdoggie
07-24-2003, 09:00 PM
Ugghhh, well, thanks for the info! You're the first glimmer of hope I've had on these yet. I'll look at those kevlars but I really don't think I need 'em, I'm not even hard on the OEM's but they keep warping.. it's unreal. Bad engineering or something. I know I must have the newst pads b/c noone, I mean noone, carries a replacement for these things. I guess I'll either front the $$ for a completely new set-up or keep getting them turned every 6 mos. :?

splashdoggie
07-30-2003, 07:00 AM
Just a FYI...

Thanks to Rallifan, I found the generic part # for the 2001-02 Galant V6 front pad, it is #866. This will also fit the 2001 Eclipse V6 GT, but not the spyder. Remsa, Bendix, Wagner, & SP Peformance all make front pads that will fit the '01-02 Galant V6 under the part # 866. Pretty much any of these will be better than the stock pads which heat up and disintegrate any rotor the first time you hit 'em hard. The only negative I've heard is that the Wagner pads tend to be a bit squeely at times so a premium pad with integrated shims or a ceramic pad might be a good way to go. Hmm.. anyone want to buy some stock 2001 V6 pads w/ 30,000 miles on 'em? I'll give u a deal. :!:

pinoyesv6
07-30-2003, 08:16 AM
actaully the stock pads are pretty decent. they won't heat up as quickly as many "peformance" brake pads out there on the market. its the oem rotors are the ones that str8 up suck.