PDA

View Full Version : B&M tranny cooler???

leicoolya
07-24-2003, 09:16 PM
ok guys who has this, how hard is it to install?
or did u take it to a shop???

Mante
07-24-2003, 09:28 PM
I thought about getting one but I grabbed a used tranny cooler off a 2g eclipse for 5 bucks...Same job not as attractive to look at..go figure

VegasMatt
07-24-2003, 10:22 PM
mine was easy and i bolted it to the front of my body kit under one of the intake holes. its pretty sweet.

manybrews
07-24-2003, 11:19 PM
its really not needed, as the trans seldom gets over 200 degrees.
actually, depending on your climate, it may be a really bad idea. if you run the cooler in the winter without running it back through the radiator, you will overcool the trans which will definatly cause damage.

honestly, its a pretty big waste of money. It may be useful if you were somehow able to overcome the factory heat limits, but unless youre gonna tow a horse trailer, I doubt thats gonna happen.

Mante
07-25-2003, 04:27 AM
its really not needed, as the trans seldom gets over 200 degrees.
actually, depending on your climate, it may be a really bad idea. if you run the cooler in the winter without running it back through the radiator, you will overcool the trans which will definatly cause damage.

honestly, its a pretty big waste of money. It may be useful if you were somehow able to overcome the factory heat limits, but unless youre gonna tow a horse trailer, I doubt thats gonna happen.

Most cases I agree, I know I drive hard as hell for extended periods of time. And I also disconnect the cooler in the cooler months, Manybrews 2 for 2 https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Manybrews for president!

leadfoot
07-25-2003, 02:10 PM
thois is off topic but since we are talking about B&M do they make shift kits for our i4's?

leicoolya
07-25-2003, 02:39 PM
well wouldn't it be a good idea if u had a sds or turbo???????

8ggalant
07-26-2003, 06:53 AM
well wouldn't it be a good idea if u had a sds or turbo???????

thats waht i was thinkin (good idea)

manybrews
07-26-2003, 12:48 PM
thois is off topic but since we are talking about B&M do they make shift kits for our i4's?
I doubt it, as the shift timing and quality are TOTALLY electonically controlled.
the actual shift mapping would have to be altered, and that will probably tweak emission standards, so I kinda doubt anyone is going to do it.

clone2020
07-26-2003, 12:56 PM

mochanges
07-26-2003, 04:01 PM
I used a tranny cooler during last years track season. Mike W at RRE strongly recommends them for automatics, and my dealer service department concurred, so that's all I need to hear to believe in them. (Comptech also strongly encourages them on automatics). Since I live in Minnesota, I took it out for the winter. I need to reinstall it with better hardware this season.

Whether you need one or not depends on what you are doing. On the circuits, my tranny is always shifting down into overdrive. It's this that caused me to look into it initially, as it was suggested by many of the guys I lap with.

Also, many of the 3G eclipse guys use them (not saying that's a reason to get them) if you are looking for install notes and reviews. The B&M Hi-Tec ones are nice because they let colder fluid through and cool off only the hotter fluid. Plus they are cheap. I got mine from Jegs.

Note: There are NOT meant to replace your factory tranny cooler built into your radiator, but are designed to be put in-line after the main cooler.
-Mohammad

Lazarus
07-26-2003, 05:07 PM
is it universal or is there an application for it? Who sells it? Do you.....GB?

mochanges
07-26-2003, 09:19 PM
Laz, you mean me or someone else? Mine is made by B&M, you can get it from jegs.com or summitracing.com. They are universal.

-Mohammad

manybrews
07-27-2003, 01:04 AM
I used a tranny cooler during last years track season. Mike W at RRE strongly recommends them for automatics, and my dealer service department concurred, so that's all I need to hear to believe in them. (Comptech also strongly encourages them on automatics). Since I live in Minnesota, I took it out for the winter. I need to reinstall it with better hardware this season.

Whether you need one or not depends on what you are doing. On the circuits, my tranny is always shifting down into overdrive. It's this that caused me to look into it initially, as it was suggested by many of the guys I lap with.

Also, many of the 3G eclipse guys use them (not saying that's a reason to get them) if you are looking for install notes and reviews. The B&M Hi-Tec ones are nice because they let colder fluid through and cool off only the hotter fluid. Plus they are cheap. I got mine from Jegs.

Note: There are NOT meant to replace your factory tranny cooler built into your radiator, but are designed to be put in-line after the main cooler.
-Mohammad
the coolers should be placed inline BEFORE the radiator cooler.

the radiator will then function as a thermostat of sorts, regulating the temp to a proper level. that way, you can safely run an additional cooler in a winter state like minnesota without overcooling your transaxle.

mochanges
07-27-2003, 11:08 AM
Really? I had no idea. I'll do that when I reinstall. Thanks.

-Mohammad