PDA

View Full Version : built motors

TWISTED II
07-25-2003, 03:41 AM
hey everyone. i have a question for everyone who has fully built their motor. i need someone with aftermarket rods, pistons, cams, and cam gears. i'm in the process of rebuilding my motor, as everyone knows, and i got to the point where the only thing i needed to do was put the intake manifold on and i would be done. however, after the timing belt went on, we tried turning the crank, and it just stops after a few seconds each way. so, there are a few things that could be wrong. 1) the connecting rod length from pauter was off and they are holding the piston too high. 2) the pistons from wiseaco (8.1-1) are machined wrong and the dome is too high. 3) something is wrong with the cam from RPW. lemme know if anyone has any input on any of these companies, products, or advice where to go from here. thanks guys.

Fishboy55
07-25-2003, 07:10 AM
Hey Twisted, I remember reading on club3g about some problems with the RPW cams. Something about the lobes being machined incorrectly and they had to send them back to be retooled. It was a while ago, but if you search over there on performance that may give you a start. Also, LAZ has an RPW camshaft, he may be able to provide some insight.

HeadAche
07-25-2003, 09:35 AM
I heard the samet hing about hte RPW cam, but i was told that, the problem had been corrected and new set had already been put out.. I would say check the Wiseco pistons, they may be set way to high causing the problem, but them you would definately have to check the pauter on the rod, because that could be another underlying issue. Why did you go with the Wiseco pistons instead of the JE pistons which most of us are already using?

FastNFabolous
07-25-2003, 02:56 PM
how bout some Crower rods? Or are they just better for nitrous application?

----------------------------
TEAM TGCLV

TWISTED II
07-25-2003, 07:56 PM
i was told by JE that there weren't any pistons made which i knew was BS, but regardles, they said they would hafta make them. so i went with the wiseco. heres what i found out today....its not a problem with the rods. we loosened the bolts on the rocker arms and the motor turn perfectly fine. so, we eliminated that. however, if pauter machined the rods wrong, then that could be the problem. my motor is in freeport right now, and my machinist is looking it over. we had orriginally thought that maybe since the rods were bigger than the stock ones, it would hit the block, but we checked that. so now, our main concern is if the rods are the same length as they are supposed to be. they are listed the same length, 5.548 inches c-c. but they might have been machined wrong. if thats all good, then hes gonna check the dome on the piston to see if thats interfering with anything. if thats the case, we hafta machine the dome a little, which will lower my compression even more, which sucks. i talked to Dave from RPW last night and he said the cams should be fine. but, my machinist is gonna check over that too. geeze, after 8 months of no galant, this is the last thing i needed to happen 3 days before it was supposed to run again. oh well, live and learn. i let you guys know what we find out. see ya, and thanks for the info.

Mante
07-26-2003, 12:34 PM
after 8 months of no galant, this is the last thing i needed to happen 3 days before it was supposed to run again. oh well, live and learn. i let you guys know what we find out. see ya, and thanks for the info.

Trust me I feel your pain...another month before I can drive mine again https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

HeadAche
07-26-2003, 03:38 PM
after 8 months of no galant, this is the last thing i needed to happen 3 days before it was supposed to run again. oh well, live and learn. i let you guys know what we find out. see ya, and thanks for the info.

Trust me I feel your pain...another month before I can drive mine again https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

I know how you both feel, im on my second motor as it is in 2 years.. Twisted hope your problem gets resolved ASAP, and mante hell bro i envy you, you got the mother of all motors, I got first dibs at the track..