PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Techniques

Livn2sk8
07-26-2003, 12:42 PM
I was starting this thread to maybe get some pointers, maybe not just for me, but for the rest of the people out there. For all of us out there, lucky enough to have a 5-speed, are there any specific things you do when shifting? e.g., using your heel, power shifting, letting off of the clutch at a certain time.

Reason being, is that I'm trying to better my shifting, and thought that if I had an idea of how others shifted, I might be able to try doing something different.

TIA

seth98esT
07-26-2003, 02:23 PM
I got you :wink:

ClickHere ('http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13932')

HiperSilver
07-27-2003, 12:41 AM
if u want to launch it for the quarter mile here is what i would recommend

since the i4 isnt very torquey, rev it up to where peak torque is, no one quote me but im assuming 3000-3500 will be enough torque for a launch...slip the clutch, should only chirp a little, once your rolling by about 4000 give it all the gas and go...shifting is pretty easy...just shift as fast as you can, best way to drag a car and not put excessive wear like power shifting or double clutching..

Livn2sk8
07-27-2003, 01:23 PM
what's an i4?

bam462
07-27-2003, 01:27 PM
i4 = 4 cylinder

Jesse
07-28-2003, 12:52 PM
i4 = inline 4 cylinder.

I rev up to 2400 at the track since the tires usually get wet, if you pull the e-brake and burn out in the water pit, then you can launch at 2750 (this is specific to my car with 18" rims with z-rated tires and 8" wide.)

You have to slip the clutch just a bit, but not much. Anything more then 3,000 on any car should just make your tires spin through 1st gear and maybe part of second. I know because that's what I did my first run at the track.

The street is different since you won't slip as easy.

sabzi5858
08-03-2003, 09:41 PM
just a note, double-clutching has nothing to do with drag racing, and it isn't hard on your trans, it helps your syncros do theire work and som helps preserve your trans

HiperSilver
08-04-2003, 12:37 AM
when we went to a track none of our dsm homies were double clutching or power shifting. If i remember correctly i had to double clutch a dsm because i couldnt get it into reverse.

sabzi5858
08-04-2003, 12:51 PM
double clutching won't help you get into reverse either, unless you're already rolling backwards. reverse gear has no syncro, so pressing in the clutch, holding it there for a few seconds, then push it into reverse while still holding down the clutch. or you can hold down the clutch, go into one of the other gears, then while still holding the clutch, shift it into reverse.

bronxbombr
08-04-2003, 01:01 PM
double clutching won't help you get into reverse either, unless you're already rolling backwards. reverse gear has no syncro, so pressing in the clutch, holding it there for a few seconds, then push it into reverse while still holding down the clutch. or you can hold down the clutch, go into one of the other gears, then while still holding the clutch, shift it into reverse.

Ditto :wink: