PDA

View Full Version : The "Electric supercharger"

Alister_McRae
09-04-2002, 01:42 AM
Well, i didnt believe my two most utter senses, (Eyes, and Ears) as i rode in my friends 3g eclipse yesterday. He has a completly stock engine,and just installed an electric supercharger. He was bragging to me how much "performance he had gained." So as we took it around on the streets that normally arnt busy, He showed me the power of what an electric supercharger can do. As he guns it out of no were, my head hits the seat, and he hits a little switch like the one zex nitrous uses, and i can hear it spooling up. And seriously, i could really feel the difference just sitting in the passenger seat as far as power. I think im definatly considering to get one, but i think i will be doing more research on it before i buy it.

TJC
09-04-2002, 02:05 AM
Yes, definitely do some research on it and make sure the parts are of good quality. The last thing you want to see is a fin missing and have it stuck in the TB or worse, no where to be found :shock: (engine swallowed it). It would be nice if there were dyno sheets on the product too.

THX1139
09-04-2002, 02:45 AM
That sounds good if it is well-made and wont break..but do you have a link or anything you can post to a specific product?

THX1139
09-04-2002, 02:53 AM
to answer my own question... I dont know if this is the one you are talking about, but www.electricsupercharger.com ('http://www.electricsupercharger.com') has what you are talking about...it's called the eRam. Looks pretty good to me, what do you guys think, cause I don't wanna get my hopes up...

THX1139
09-04-2002, 03:12 AM
Okay, I know this is my third post in a row on this, but I am just trying to save some time here. As far as the fear of parts breaking/going into your engine...I got this quote from their site

"If anything was to enter the fan and damage it ,any and all parts would be captured by the filter. In the 10 years of operation of this fan device, in many prototype applications, and 1000 hours of run time, nothing has come off the fan or motor assembly."

Alister_McRae
09-04-2002, 07:06 PM
Yeah i most definatly gonna do some research, i think im gonna wait a little longer to see if my friends supercharger gives him any problems, if it doesnt, i might buy one, i'll send pics too....

MnGalant
09-04-2002, 07:46 PM
The concept of this thing is a good one that would work. You will get a couple horses out of it and im sure you will feel the effect. The only problem i have with it is the price, the last i saw it was 299.99. That serious money for that kind of horsepower. That equal to the price of headers which put 15 or more horse to the wheels. Now if they could work on the price i would probably get it.

Fishboy55
09-04-2002, 09:51 PM
Yea MN, that was my drawback too. And if I understand the site, if you have an aftermarket intake, it's $349. That's a lot of cash for a 5% HP gain If the WHP of the I4 is around ten, thats about 5.5 HP. For the V6 it's it's about 155, so thats like 7.5. Hmmmmm.

Chip

Black2k1GTZ
09-05-2002, 01:12 PM
Yeah that definatly seems like alot of money for not alot of power!! I mean 7.5 or so hp...you would gain more from adding a k&n and a universal muffler...If you are willing to spend that kind of money of performance I would spend it on a set of RPW headers instead and get a much larger power increase...and a better sound to the car as well!!!

Just my .02 though...

Marc :mg:

Messiah
09-06-2002, 12:38 AM
Check this site out:

http://www.fast-technology.com/new_index.html ('http://www.fast-technology.com/new_index.html')

It has some dyno sheets and pix...

Fishboy55
09-06-2002, 06:26 AM
Check this site out:

http://www.fast-technology.com/new_index.html ('http://www.fast-technology.com/new_index.html')

It has some dyno sheets and pix...Great find Dragon!!!. This thing looks good, except the fan is made of composite, not metal. I noticed they didn't post any CFM numbers, but their tests look solid. May be something worth checking into. Certainly good for the price. I'm a little skeptical about the MSD switch, but I'll check into that a bit more after vacation. Thanks!!

Edit: Well I was thinking about the $79 add-on switch they sell while driving in. 2500RPM seems awfully low. I pull 65 on the hwy at 2500, and I wouldn't want the thing to be running that often I don't think. So I was thinking a throttle position switch, like on the ZEX kitmight be better. Than it would only kick in at WOT. I'll keep thinking....stand back! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Chip

Chip

Alister_McRae
09-06-2002, 02:19 PM
This fast air filter looks nice, but my question is, if you get a CAI, where would you install it in the CAI? Does it replace the air filter on the CAI, or does it install inside the CAI?

Big H Killa
09-06-2002, 02:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alister_McRae)</div><div class='quotemain'>This fast air filter looks nice, but my question is, if you get a CAI, where would you install it in the CAI? Does it replace the air filter on the CAI, or does it install inside the CAI?</div>

Where do you think the filter would go? Of course it would replace your old filter.

Fishboy55
09-06-2002, 03:25 PM
It's a filter with a fan built in. So yes, It would replace your filter. It would go right on the end of your CAI, where the existing filter is. The picture shows an intake tube, but thats just for display purposes I suspect. I'll know more when they respond to my letter.

Chip

BGR
09-10-2002, 09:09 AM
But it says it will fit intake tubes that are 3" in diameter. I ordered an Eclipse CAI that's only 2.75". I'm not sure about the Injen, AEM and DreamSpeed intakes, though.

You definately need a switch. I had mounted a PC fan in my flip box (Sentra) and put a switch on the dash. Occassionally I would forget to turn the fan off before coming to a stop and the car would stall out. Too much air. Even my skeptical friend said that he felt extra power when I used this fan on my Sentra, so I can definately vouch for these electric superchargers that spin at 30,000 RPM's. It'll definately be sucking in more air than just a aftermarket intake system.

Hmm.. I just took another look at that FAST Air Filters. It has a clamp at the base. I'm sure it would fit on a 2.75" tube; just tighten it up.

VegasMatt
09-10-2002, 04:45 PM
Which is better? The Eram or the Fast filter?

The both boast about the same HP, but the price of the Fast Filter is not bad at all compared to the E-Ram.

Matt

VegasMatt
09-11-2002, 12:55 PM
But it says it will fit intake tubes that are 3" in diameter. I ordered an Eclipse CAI that's only 2.75". I'm not sure about the Injen, AEM and DreamSpeed intakes, though.

You definately need a switch. I had mounted a PC fan in my flip box (Sentra) and put a switch on the dash. Occassionally I would forget to turn the fan off before coming to a stop and the car would stall out. Too much air. Even my skeptical friend said that he felt extra power when I used this fan on my Sentra, so I can definately vouch for these electric superchargers that spin at 30,000 RPM's. It'll definately be sucking in more air than just a aftermarket intake system.

Hmm.. I just took another look at that FAST Air Filters. It has a clamp at the base. I'm sure it would fit on a 2.75" tube; just tighten it up.

I RECEIVED THIS EMAIL FROM FAST AIR CO.
The FAST Air Filter comes with a standard brace clamp. Please be advised that it can be installed on a 2.75" but it is not guaranteed to stay on securely. A simple adaptor can be purchased at your local performance shop to better secure the Air Filter in place.

Thank You,
FAST Co.

Alister_McRae
09-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Well that really sux, cause now it more run around that the person who installs it has to do. But if it actually works, it might be worth it.

Alister_McRae
09-11-2002, 01:11 PM
I was just reading the fast air performance filter, and it said its recommended for non-turbo, and non-supercharged engines only. Why is that? Wouldnt it help a turbo?

BlueESV6
09-11-2002, 02:04 PM
I was just reading the fast air performance filter, and it said its recommended for non-turbo, and non-supercharged engines only. Why is that? Wouldnt it help a turbo?

Superchargers and turbos generate thier own intake pressure better than these could do. It may mess up the TC or SC intake/ fuel ratios... just a guess though.

Anyone know if the dreamspeed intake a 3" diameter intake?

BGR
09-11-2002, 07:42 PM
Thanks Matt. I just received my CAI this afternoon.

I just called MotorSport Dynamics and they told me they don't carry any 2.75" to 3" adapters. Only 2.5" to 3" and said that if I tried tightening the 3" filter on a 2.75" tube, it probably wouldn't hold.

I bet it would hold if I put a bead of silicone on the tube and put the filter over it and clamped it down.

The FAST Air Filter comes with a standard brace clamp. Please be advised that it can be installed on a 2.75" but it is not guaranteed to stay on securely. A simple adaptor can be purchased at your local performance shop to better secure the Air Filter in place.

Thank You,
FAST Co.

pinoyesv6
09-11-2002, 07:52 PM
Thanks Matt. I just received my CAI this afternoon.

I just called MotorSport Dynamics and they told me they don't carry any 2.75" to 3" adapters. Only 2.5" to 3" and said that if I tried tightening the 3" filter on a 2.75" tube, it probably wouldn't hold.

I bet it would hold if I put a bead of silicone on the tube and put the filter over it and clamped it down.

Thank You,
FAST Co.

first of all, RRE has the transition piece for 2.75" to 3" but its pricey. probably wont' work since the filter end is soft right and the silicon is soft.

i have an another idea though. maybe u can visit ur muffler shop or something and see if they have a 2.75" to 3" adaptor piece and maybe they can weld that onto the end of the pipe so u can have that 3 inch opening. hell, u can probably find that piece @ the local auto parts store and just bont the pipe and the adaptor with some JB weld...

BGR
09-11-2002, 08:07 PM
What would be wrong with using some masking tape and wrap that crap around the end of the tube until it's a .25" thick and then secure the filter?

The filter is at least 3" long where it needs to connect and overlap on the tube. I'm assuming that if the tape was wrapped thick enough that the tube would fit snug enough and then when clamped down... It should stay.

pinoyesv6
09-11-2002, 08:23 PM
What would be wrong with using some masking tape and wrap that crap around the end of the tube until it's a .25" thick and then secure the filter?

The filter is at least 3" long where it needs to connect and overlap on the tube. I'm assuming that if the tape was wrapped thick enough that the tube would fit snug enough and then when clamped down... It should stay.

i don't see nothign wrong with that. i'd probably use duct tape or something just because masking tape isn't sticky enough for me lol. but that reminds me. the plumbing shop has some kind of sticky rubber sheets that they use for the same exact problem u have. maybe its an option. more proper ghetto rigging i say

Alister_McRae
09-11-2002, 08:25 PM
Are the Injen CAI 3" in dia for the 4 cyl?

BlueESV6
09-11-2002, 09:10 PM

i don't see nothign wrong with that. i'd probably use duct tape or something just because masking tape isn't sticky enough for me lol. but that reminds me. the plumbing shop has some kind of sticky rubber sheets that they use for the same exact problem u have. maybe its an option. more proper ghetto rigging i say

How about aluminum tape (width of duct tape, but aluminum) or what I call F-4 tape.... it's rubberized tape that chemically seals to itself and would hold up to heat and everything else... became popular for fixing F-4's in the service...

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

pinoyesv6
09-11-2002, 09:20 PM

i know that stuff. thats my most favorite kinda tape. 5 dollars a roll. the reason i jsut say use duct tape is because its thicker and easier to work with. i mean alluminum tape has that paper backing to it blah blah blah. but yea thats bgr and i guess he can use whatever tape he can find.

How about aluminum tape (width of duct tape, but aluminum) or what I call F-4 tape.... it's rubberized tape that chemically seals to itself and would hold up to heat and everything else... became popular for fixing F-4's in the service...

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

BGR
09-11-2002, 09:23 PM
more proper ghetto rigging i say

Using the tape to make the filter fit isn't that ghetto. It wouldn't even be showing, unlike PANTYHOSE or COFFEE FILTER, or better yet DRY CLEANER HOSE. No offense to those that have this setup. It has crossed all our minds once or twice and if it hadn't, it has now.

pinoyesv6
09-11-2002, 09:45 PM
more proper ghetto rigging i say

Using the tape to make the filter fit isn't that ghetto. It wouldn't even be showing, unlike PANTYHOSE or COFFEE FILTER, or better yet DRY CLEANER HOSE. No offense to those that have this setup. It has crossed all our minds once or twice and if it hadn't, it has now.

o...im kool wtih ghetto rigging. every1 knows that. im just saying that the plumbing stuff was made to be a spacer in cases like yours but for plumbing adn yea tape is for holding stuff together. but yea in my case, if its was someone else's intake, i'd use the plumbing stuff. and if it was mine, well, tape it is...and hell i'd even tape the filter down to make sure it doesn't fall off hahaha

BGR
09-11-2002, 10:12 PM
An $80+ filter would be bad to loose. I'm still feeling the effects of losing my muffler silencer and I don't want to pay $50+ for another one because that's almost half the price of a new muffler AND silencer. I'd rather spend $50 on something else.

When it comes to Ghetto Riggin', we all got to be resourceful when it come to our Galants. Didn't I coin that term? I said Ghetto Rig because what I was used to hearing started with an N and I didn't appreciate hearing that shit.

ozkrow
09-15-2002, 02:08 AM
well the tape will begin to breakdown over time....so your filter will begin to loosen up and u might not even notice it until its too late!

CliptheApex
11-08-2002, 05:45 AM
i got my hands on an electric supercharger and a performance shop in town is currently making me a bracket so it will fit. they said this thing will create like 1lb of boost and i should see like around 10 HP, which is cool with me considering i got the SC for free.

Fishboy55
11-08-2002, 05:49 AM
Well why don't you get me a free one too!!!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Chip

CliptheApex
11-08-2002, 11:50 AM
ha, we do thangs dirte' in da ville

Fishboy55
11-08-2002, 01:21 PM
LOL. Yea thats 'cause of all that horseshit y'all got down there in the 'ville. Got some damned good strip joints though...

Chip

99DE
11-20-2002, 12:03 AM
What's the final verdict on this thing? I've told another member these are usually scams.

TJC
11-20-2002, 01:34 AM
The dyno looks good with it on but wonder what a K&N cone filter versus one fitted with this Fast-air would be like. In their dyno, it only shows the difference between it on and off. How do we know that when it is off that it isn't causing any restrictions or performance loss say compared to a K&N cone filter. As someone commented about the quality of the turbine it's composite (composite of what alloys?) and even in their FAQ, they talked around it. Even though they say there is no restrictions in the intake pipe itself b/c the fan is in the filter, well what about the restriction in the filter. I noticed that they chose all of their wording in the site very carefully. Although it's not a really big chunk of change and the theory is sound, I have to see it in practice. Like how they have it fitted under the filter and now much of it is blocking the air right behind the filter. Is the fan on the bottom of the filter or just near the top and would let air flow in freely on the bottom half of the filter. How good is the filter that they use. Is the transition from the filter to the pipe smooth and funneled in a nice transition or very sharp. These are just some of the questions I have.

As for hookup, the MSD rpm switch is a great idea but I would add an additional manual over-ride to turn it off when I don't want it to kick in for any reason; just makes more sense. I'm sure you can also get it for different settings like one set for 3k if you wanted.

I will look into this maybe later down the line and maybe modify it to a better design too. Just need to know how they did it and if there is any improvements that can be made.

...I just called MotorSport Dynamics and they told me they don't carry any 2.75" to 3" adapters. Only 2.5" to 3" and said that if I tried tightening the 3" filter on a 2.75" tube, it probably wouldn't hold.

I bet it would hold if I put a bead of silicone on the tube and put the filter over it and clamped it down...

You could just get a wide strip of rubber or silicone and wrap the tube to fill up some of the gap and then just tighten the clamp a little more to squish the 3" opening down snug. Should work fine as long as the strips you lay over the tube isn't too narrow.

Are the Injen CAI 3" in dia for the 4 cyl?

I believe the Ingen CAI is the same for both I4 & V6 and 3".

cngodfather
03-02-2007, 03:11 PM
the eram is a scam. There are a few electric superchargers out there that can deliver minimal boost. They are for drag racing only. The amount of current that they require is more than an alternator can supply. You would need at least 2 extra batteries for a few pulls and that is it. However the Eram is not a reputable item, it is garbage, please do not waste your money. The gains you see from the echarger from power off- to power on-- come from the fact that when you install it-you are putting a restriction in the flow path. This hurts your performance. When you turn it on, The restriction becomes invisible because it spins with the amount of air you normally would. You really are not getting "gains" , you are merely getting the car back to where it was originally. The cfm rating on the trash is rated under no-load conditions. If you dead-headed the fan, you would no way produce any real psi. when the motor is running, it is pulling a lot of air through it. If the fan cannot produce it with no flow, then it surely won't do it with a flow already.

n3oAcid24
03-02-2007, 03:14 PM
the eram is a scam. There are a few electric superchargers out there that can deliver minimal boost. They are for drag racing only. The amount of current that they require is more than an alternator can supply. You would need at least 2 extra batteries for a few pulls and that is it. However the Eram is not a reputable item, it is garbage, please do not waste your money. The gains you see from the echarger from power off- to power on-- come from the fact that when you install it-you are putting a restriction in the flow path. This hurts your performance. When you turn it on, The restriction becomes invisible because it spins with the amount of air you normally would. You really are not getting "gains" , you are merely getting the car back to where it was originally. The cfm rating on the trash is rated under no-load conditions. If you dead-headed the fan, you would no way produce any real psi. when the motor is running, it is pulling a lot of air through it. If the fan cannot produce it with no flow, then it surely won't do it with a flow already.

dude.... you see that the last post is from Nov. 2002? talk about bringing something back.....

4U2NV
04-04-2009, 07:04 PM
pls lets talk about it...im a newbie on this site but i just bought an electric supercharger and now its turning into more work gettin it installed...in order 4 me 2 install i have 2 replace my air filter now the 00' galant v4 have the air meter mounted on the filter housing how do i get around the....?

seth98esT
04-04-2009, 07:10 PM
You need a MAF adapter:
http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZmitsubishiQ20mafQ20adapterQQ_armrsZ1QQ_f romZQQ_mdoZ

But the electric supercharger you have is junk, I wouldnt use one, even if somebody gave me one.

ZigenScarface
04-04-2009, 07:14 PM
maf adaptor

edit : damn u seth

732Galant
04-05-2009, 01:09 PM
I thought these type of things were scams?

03-Galant-ES
04-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Cause it shows that they searched and didnt post a brand new thread which is good.

Kyleg
04-08-2009, 06:08 PM
:lol: a hairdryer for liek $20 does the same thing as...F all! :lol: